GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Saggy Headliner Touch-up DIY?

dcpppf

Ready to race!
So my headliner has started to sag around the reading lights at the front as well as the back seat. I purchased some 3m headliner adhesive a while ago and am finally getting around to using it. Curious if anyone here has any pro tips as I've never used this stuff before and don't really want to make things worse by mistake or get glue all over everything inside the car lol.

E.g. should I pull the plastic light covers/housings so I can get the headliner stuck under it or do folks "tuck" it under with a credit card or something as the adhesive is drying. Any insight would be appreciated!

my2010CSG GTI

I think you will find that the foam backing on the headliner fabric has broken down and is just dusty. Glue probably won't be a permanent solution.
I just had to have my headliner fabric replaced by an upholstery shop. I think this is a common problem with our cars

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Yeah i did some more searching yesterday evening and seems to be VERY common. Removing the panel doesn't seem too hard to DIY. Sounds like you removed yourself and brought in to an upholstry shop? Ball park cost they charged you to just replace the fabric?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just went through this with my 2012 Golf. I had the headliner replaced in Orange County for $360 I think. They took the headliner out and replaced it. I sold that car but now have a 2014 Golf whos headliner is also starting to sag in the front. I used to have a 2010 VW Golf TDI which also had the same problem. My buddies 2009 Jetta had the same problem. This is a very common problem, at least here in California likely due to the heat.

As far as touch up, it's the backing that breaks down and with the tension on the fabric I don't think there is any way to really fix it, even temporarily, with adhesive.

Last edited:

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Well damn; suppose that explains why I couldn't find sht about anyone else "touching it up" lol but instead just replacing it all.

appreciate the insight/info on your alls experiences! Guess I'll start making some calls

dub*man

Ready to race!
Just went through this with my 2012 Golf. I had the headliner replaced in Orange County for $360 I think. They took the headliner out and replaced it. I sold that car but now have a 2014 Golf whos headliner is also starting to sag in the front. I used to have a 2010 VW Golf TDI which also had the same problem. My buddies 2009 Jetta had the same problem. This is a very common problem, at least here in California likely due to the heat.

As far as touch up, it's the backing that breaks down and with the tension on the fabric I don't think there is any way to really fix it, even temporarily, with adhesive.
Could you share the name of the shop that did yours?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Westminster Auto Upholstery in Anaheim. Not sure why its called Westminster Auto Upholstery when it's in anaheim but he did an awesome job.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
closest thing i have seen to "touching up" is people taking a stapler and tacking the low points back on the backing as a quick fix. removing headliner is truly the best way to correct this.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Thanks for this! But honestly i think buying "genuine" replacement should be my last option right? If it'll just start sagging again way too damn early :/

I need to just source some fabric and see if I can find a dealer that can do the gluing. I'm not too worried about removing/installing the headliner; I just do not trust myself to glue in the new lol

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Yeah the upholstry shop our local Euro shop uses for this quoted $250... but they were weirdly adamant about how they couldn't be held liable if they broke any wiring harness. Said it probably 6 times on a 5 minute call. So I ended up just doing it myself with a 2nd set of hands. Wasn't too awful, but also not perfect.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah the upholstry shop our local Euro shop uses for this quoted $250... but they were weirdly adamant about how they couldn't be held liable if they broke any wiring harness. Said it probably 6 times on a 5 minute call. So I ended up just doing it myself with a 2nd set of hands. Wasn't too awful, but also not perfect.
That is a weird concern.

I just scheduled my 3rd headliner replacement for next week.

3 VW Mk6's = 3 headliner replacements.

The good news is once you replace the headliner it usually stays put as they sand off the matierial that breaks down to glue in the new headliner. This is why I think it is best to not go with a new oem headliner and just have it done at an upholstery shop.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i'm redoing the headliner in my mk5 jetta with oem plaid seat fabric soon.