GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sean's Shadow Blue GTI

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Installed the DG Sigma Six short sifter today. Install went pretty smoothly. Only issue was the pin used to align the shifter was too big for the hole. Easy fix though:

Here's the shifter installed. Definitely feels very notchy and may take some time to get used to. There is basically 0 front to back motion, but still significant side to side motion. Hopefully the first gear getter and the shifter bracket clean those up. Here it is installed:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
That shifter is pretty damn sweet, no?
Do you know what the smaller socket head cap screw is for? It wasn't obvious in the installation manual and everything is assembled just fine without it.
Also, feel any difference with the first gear getter?

Also I posted in the what did you do today thread asking the same question about that screw, no idea what it's for, everything seems fine without it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Also I posted in the what did you do today thread asking the same question about that screw, no idea what it's for, everything seems fine without it.
I think they tossed it in to fuck with us, tbh.
Did you install the first gear getter? I ordered it and I'm installing on Friday. There's still just a teeny bit of shifter play for me and it's coming from the part that this replaces.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I think they tossed it in to fuck with us, tbh.
Did you install the first gear getter? I ordered it and I'm installing on Friday. There's still just a teeny bit of shifter play for me and it's coming from the part that this replaces.
Maybe I'll toss them an email to see what it is. I have the first gear getter also, didn't feel like installing yesterday though. Also do you have a link to the shaft bushings?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
Here's the link.

They're real easy to install - just do them before or after you take apart the shift tower to do the first gear getter.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Here's the link.

They're real easy to install - just do them before or after you take apart the shift tower to do the first gear getter.

I'll probably toss in the FGG today and see how it feels. If I still have some slop i'll order the bushings as well. Hopefully they clean it all up nice.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'll probably toss in the FGG today and see how it feels. If I still have some slop i'll order the bushings as well. Hopefully they clean it all up nice.
My FGG just got delivered today; I'll be installing it tomorrow.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Just knocked out an oil change and put my new endlinks on. I'm reallyyyyy hoping they don't start clunking again because they look to be adjusted perfect and everything is tightened down completely. Can see here there is plenty of space between both the axle and the control arm.

torga

Autocross Champion
Protip, unlink your side-to-side cable from the selector to make installing the first gear getter easier. Here's more of a write up.

torga

Autocross Champion
After some miles, how are you feeling with your YCW setup? Did you get the Aeris or Reference set?
I'll eventually be getting better coils because my FKs are frankly kinda garbage. I'm between these YCW coils or BC BRs. I can get Swift springs on either platform and they both have front camber plates - those are the main things I care about. So now I'm down to the details between the two.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
After some miles, how are you feeling with your YCW setup? Did you get the Aeris or Reference set?
I'll eventually be getting better coils because my FKs are frankly kinda garbage. I'm between these YCW coils or BC BRs. I can get Swift springs on either platform and they both have front camber plates - those are the main things I care about. So now I'm down to the details between the two.

The coils themselves are good. Are you planning on going low or going for performance? I have my backs all the way down right now, and the struts themselves don't get short enough so there is clunking when the springs come slightly off the perch when the strut is fully extended. I'll be fixing that shortly but if you plan on slamming it, there are probably others that are better suited. As for ride quality, I really couldn't tell you. I drove my last car on blown racelands forever and was perfectly happy doing it. The quality of the coils themselves is good though. Also they come with neoprene covers which are good for a little bit but mine are basically 100% torn up by now and since my wheels are so close to the strut, they squeak on bumps a bit as the wheels rub them. I'll probably be pulling them off this weekend when I work on it.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm certainly going to be more focused on performance and predictability. My current coils (came with the car) are perfect for someone who just wants to slam - I'm only looking for a solid 1.5" or so. These are pretty poor for everything else, so I want something that's actual quality.

How will you be fixing the spring lifting off of the perch?

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I'm certainly going to be more focused on performance and predictability. My current coils (came with the car) are perfect for someone who just wants to slam - I'm only looking for a solid 1.5" or so. These are pretty poor for everything else, so I want something that's actual quality.

How will you be fixing the spring lifting off of the perch?
Raising the the rears (lengthening the springs) while keeping the struts the same length. This will make sure there is still pressure on the springs with the strut fully extended (might be what people mean by preload but I'm not sure, I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to suspension.

torga

Autocross Champion
That's exactly what preload means. In that case, getting to zero preload shouldn't be an issue, I think. That shouldn't mess with your handling characteristics. Once you're at zero preload, then you can keep going in order to affect certain things.

How much height adjustment does the shock tube have on these? I know that's one of the pros of this system: height adjustment without affecting preload.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
That's exactly what preload means. In that case, getting to zero preload shouldn't be an issue, I think. That shouldn't mess with your handling characteristics. Once you're at zero preload, then you can keep going in order to affect certain things.

How much height adjustment does the shock tube have on these? I know that's one of the pros of this system: height adjustment without affecting preload.
The struts themselves adjust a good amount. I'll try to remember to take measurements this weekend to see how much it moves from bottom to top