GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shaking at idle

Thomason84

Ready to race!
Here's a question...

Is everyone here with this issue CBFA?
Are you thinking that it could be associated with the secondary air system? I am CCTA and I get slight vibration too, but with a 4 cylinder it is common. Unless it is a violent shaking (like it is about to die) there isn't much you can do.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Same situation here - very slight, irregular vibrations felt from engine bay, but rpms do not fluctuate, nor does it throw any CELs.

Car is at 45k, stock aside from GIAC stage 1. Felt this before going stage 1, though. Dealer looked at my valves recently when they changed out my faulty manifold, and said they were clean as a whistle so I don't think the issue is carbon buildup in my case.

There's no way they were clean at 45k, mine at 50k were pretty messy, check out a thread I have and yes they are misfires.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Are you thinking that it could be associated with the secondary air system? I am CCTA and I get slight vibration too, but with a 4 cylinder it is common. Unless it is a violent shaking (like it is about to die) there isn't much you can do.

Well, I'm just trying to find a correlation with something.

Some vibration at idle is normal. It's the perceptible intermittent vibration that I'm worried about. Feels like a misfire, but doesn't register a code or even show a fluctuation on the tachometer.

Could just be a byproduct of direct injection. No idea.

Ilyaamex

Passed Driver's Ed
Slight shudder at idle every few seconds, very intermittent, and no perceptible change registered by the tachometer and no CEL. It almost feels like a misfire, and happens regardless of fuel. I've only got 5800 miles on mine.

I experience the same thing rarely and only after getting off the highway (~10 miles) and coming to a stop.
I'm stock, 52k miles, CCTA. It happens so rarely that I don't feel too concerned.

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!

The second order vibrations in a 4 cylinder are always going to be there, and vary throughout the RPM band, not just at idle. If the shake is intermittent, then it's not second order vibrations. If you've ever been in a car that had the balance shafts removed, you can REALLY feel the vibration, and it's always there, and it only changes as the rpms change.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
The second order vibrations in a 4 cylinder are always going to be there, and vary throughout the RPM band, not just at idle. If the shake is intermittent, then it's not second order vibrations. If you've ever been in a car that had the balance shafts removed, you can REALLY feel the vibration, and it's always there, and it only changes as the rpms change.
I had a 92 talon with the balance shafts removed, solid mounts and a very large tubo (the diesel truck kind). I never felt a strange vibration. It vibrated like a mo-fo but never fluxuated until either the alternator or A/C kicked on. Then and only then would it shudder. I still think this is the cause, nothing else makes sense. If it accelerated badly or shuddered under WOT then I would agree that it could be something wrong but as it is, everyone is shuddering at idle (all of the components that the engine drives are off at WOT which is why they don't feel it then)

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
I had a 92 talon with the balance shafts removed, solid mounts and a very large tubo (the diesel truck kind). I never felt a strange vibration. It vibrated like a mo-fo but never fluxuated until either the alternator or A/C kicked on. Then and only then would it shudder. I still think this is the cause, nothing else makes sense. If it accelerated badly or shuddered under WOT then I would agree that it could be something wrong but as it is, everyone is shuddering at idle (all of the components that the engine drives are off at WOT which is why they don't feel it then)

Likewise :thumbsup:

96 TSi (AWD swap), six bolt swap, balance shafts eliminated, built bottom end, solid mounts 3inch turbo back straight piped, FP HTA73 Green. shooting for 450whp pump. Then I plan to feed her some corn and break into the 500whp territory :burnrubber:

Back to topic:
All I was saying that if they are experiencing intermittent vibrations, like some of them have mentioned, then I doubt it's due to the 4 cylinder geometry. If it was happening all the time at idle, than maybe.:iono:

Burny

Same problem here, I did notice the shaking becomes more 'agressive' when on a declined hill and less when on an inclined...
Do you guys feel any difference with pitch angles?

I've tried R8 coild but didn't do anything.
Gonna change the plugs next week, lets see if that changes anything...

funkymcbain

Ready to race!
Interesting, I have the same, 2010 75k km on it, at idle it almost feels like one misfire every now and again but no CEL or anything. I had a 1.8T for 6 years and from having that my first thought was time to change plugs and or coils. I just had a loaner 2013 GLI for two days with only 4k km on it and it idles perfectly smooth. With 75k on mine I wouldn't be surprised if it's tie to change the plugs but I'm not sure WTF for you guys with the really low mileage. This thread now makes me think that new plugs might not solve this after all.

CW12

Ready to race!

funkymcbain

Ready to race!
I noticed today that the whole throttle response seems a bit surgey. If I'm on it in say 2nd or 3rd it kind of feels like it's trying to make up its mind. It does actually feel like something is sticking, so I wonder if it's time for a seafoam

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
Some guy said he had this issue and corrected it by making sure the coil packs were well seated. The come up a few millimeters every few thousand meters, so you just pop open the hood and make sure they are all the way in.