GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shaking at idle

Thomason84

Ready to race!
You need to provide more info. Miles, modifications, any recent work done, date of last tune up and anything else you might feel is relevant.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
got vagcom?

does a CEL get thrown? if so could be heavy misfires.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The only time my idle seems to get irregular was right before the car throws a P2015(I think?) code for manifold flapper thingy fault, which resulted in a replacement manifold...

gulewamkulu

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Same problem, no mods, 37000 miles. Dealer did not want to look at it, because it did not throw a code.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I think I have a similar issue with mine. I can feel a slight shake at idle but the rpm gauge doesn't seem to fluctuate and no CELs either.

cptboris

Same situation here - very slight, irregular vibrations felt from engine bay, but rpms do not fluctuate, nor does it throw any CELs.

Car is at 45k, stock aside from GIAC stage 1. Felt this before going stage 1, though. Dealer looked at my valves recently when they changed out my faulty manifold, and said they were clean as a whistle so I don't think the issue is carbon buildup in my case.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
When you guys say shake do you mean a slight vibration. Very minimal vibration or lots of vibration. Small engines use balance shafts that reduce vibration, but it can't get rid of all vibration so there will be some vibration and that is normal.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Mine does this as well.

Slight shudder at idle every few seconds, very intermittent, and no perceptible change registered by the tachometer and no CEL. It almost feels like a misfire, and happens regardless of fuel. I've only got 5800 miles on mine.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
When you guys say shake do you mean a slight vibration. Very minimal vibration or lots of vibration. Small engines use balance shafts that reduce vibration, but it can't get rid of all vibration so there will be some vibration and that is normal.

Mine is a very noticeable irregular "shake" that can be felt throughout the entire car. No vibrating "noises" are heard.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Mine does this as well.

Slight shudder at idle every few seconds, very intermittent, and no perceptible change registered by the tachometer and no CEL. It almost feels like a misfire, and happens regardless of fuel. I've only got 5800 miles on mine.

^ This! Great description of the issue.

I only have 14,4XX miles on mine too. I find it interesting that others are having this same exact issue. I thought maybe I needed to look into the R8 coil packs or something.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
Does it only do it when you are running the Air Conditioner? When the load from the A/C is added to the engine it causes a slight shudder or vibration (I'm not talking about noise). Try turning off the A/C and take a quick drive and see if it still does it.

FYI: The A/C is only compressed intermitantly so this could be a logical explanation.

BOOGATA

Ready to race!
Mine does this too. Asked the dealer about it at my 3yr checkup. They told me they scoped the engine, found 'excessive carbon buildup', and recommended a full valve cleaning ($1350). I'm only at ~29500 mi. No, I didnt have it done.