GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SHOP AND MOD REVIEW by Allset: TYROLSPORT & PELOQUIN's LSD (pics)

allset

Go Kart Champion
"Some of you may have heard of our products or used our services in the past. For those of you who have not, we would like to introduce ourselves to the community. We are TyrolSport, a European car specialty shop located in Queens, New York City. TyrolSport has been in business for 12 years, focusing on performance products and upgrades for VW/Audi/Porsche/Mini/BMW. We offer GIAC and APR software, Stasis, AWE, Renntech, Akrapovic, and many other popular brands. Our staff of eight people includes four technicians, two product development engineers, and two people who focus solely on customer care. We are a full service facility, capable of handling everything from basic maintenance, to in-depth diagnosis, to complete custom fabrication. Mounting, balancing, and alignment are all accomplished by top-of-the-line Hunter equipment. We also do NYS inspections. A peek at our website (www.tyrolsport.com) will give you a more in-depth view into what we do, and how we do it. Thanks!" -Michael Pancheri - Owner

REVIEWED BY ALLSET:

THE SHOP:

I do a fair amount of work myself on my car. There are certain things I wouldn't even attempt. Installation of a LSD and a clutch are among them. It was very important to me to find the right shop to do the LSD install, as i've heard horror stories of botched diff jobs. Lately, it seems i’ve had a run of bad luck with shops in my area doing rush jobs on some of my other mods with the final outcome being less than a quality job. That made it even more pressing to find the right one this time.

Enter TyrolSport (pronounced TEE-ROL). I contacted the owner/operator Mike Pancheri by email about 2 months before I planned to do the work. I explained what I was looking to do and right off the bat he laid out a plan that would save me money and time. Mike was straight forward with all the pricing and gave me all the numbers I requested for the entire job in that first email reply. There was none of that "well this is our labor rate but you never know what can come up..." nonsense you sometimes get at shops. The work I wanted done that day was installation of the Peloquin LSD, SB Stage 2 clutch disc, Turbo Outlet Pipe and replacement of the infamous squealing Throw Out Bearing with the "F" revision. (Which, by the way, has not made a sound yet but that’s on my other thread). The price I was quoted in that first email for the biggest part of the job, LSD & clutch labor, was the price I paid 2 months later.

Following that first correspondence, I sent Mike many other emails over the next 6 weeks with all kinds of questions. Every email was responded to if not within a half hour then later that day with all my questions and concerns addressed. When I was having trouble ordering some bolts from an inept VW parts guy, Mike told me he would get them to the shop in time for the work.

The morning of the work at TyrolSport I discovered that the last shop that rotated my tires never replaced my wheel lock key in the trunk. I was freaking out because I was convinced that at least the driver side wheel needed to come off for this work. For some reason the VW "oem" installed stock wheel locks were not oem so I couldnt just run to VW. So, i'm standing there thinking now after all this prep, taking the day off from work, the install either can’t be done today or would be seriously delayed and over budget. Mike saw my anxiety, stepped in and said "don’t worry, we will figure it out, ill call you if its a problem". And they figured it out, it got done.

The shop itself is very clean; long and narrow as are many buildings in the NYC area. As I was waiting I looked in the back and up on 3-4 different lifts were 3 nicely modded MK4's and I think another MK6. Although TyrolSport does all kinds of euro's it was nice to see a bunch of GTI's in the shop.
I guess I don’t need to mention that Mike is himself a Euro enthusiast and has made many trips to Northern Italy (Tyrol Region) for that reason. You can check out the shops crew and project cars on the website. http://www.tyrolsport.com

Overall, TyrolSport is a professional outfit that "does it all" with an experienced owner and crew who obviously take great pride in their work... our cars. What particularly stood out was their attention to detail from the first email until I was handed back my keys. I will be returning in the spring for more work, without question. I highly recommend them for any job, big or small.

And its not just my impression, see here for customer recommendations: https://www.tyrolsport.com/index.php?pcsid=e7ffc310ec0c7be34eb1a00d389f7abb&p=page&page_id=customer_reccomendations

THE LSD:

http://peloquins.com/

I spent many hours researching the right LSD. Hours of surfing, calls and emails. I’m sure many of you know what i'm talking about. I finally settled on Peloquin's LSD. This decision was based on its track record, other people’s experiences but largely b/c I liked the fact I was able to speak with the guy who designed and built it, Gary Peloquin. It was appealing to me that he cuts his own gears, assembles and oversees the operation. It felt good to support an American based operation in addition to knowing i’m getting a quality product.

My endgame with this GTI is K04 and I wouldn’t even consider going K04 without an LSD. Right now at APR Stage 2 my wheels spin like mad in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Coming out of turns and cornering is downright embarrassing. The spin is bad on dry roads, frightening in the rain and dangerous in the snow even when i’m paying attention and feathering the throttle to prevent it.

All of that for the most part is now just a bad memory, what a difference. The wheel spin from a level, hard launch is almost completely gone; I say almost because there is some spin at the top of 1st but I currently have the stock Conti's on which are very low on tred. I’m confident a good set of summer tires will fix that. Since the LSD install, it bites into turns and corners and shoots you right out with no spinning inside wheel. On wet roads it is also a big improvement, it doesn’t spin when you accelerate from a stoplight during normal driving. Same thing with turns on wet pavement, I have much more confidence in my traction ability. There has been no snow yet in the NYC area, which is odd, so I can’t speak to that yet but I assume it will only improve traction on hills.

I’m still experimenting with this LSD and have to figure out the best settings thru vag com for all of the electronic stability programs. But Peloquin's LSD is awesome thus far and I certainly recommend it. I can’t wait to have it perform with APR K04.

THE PICS:

OEM Clutch Kit waiting for a new disc

O2Q also waiting patiently

Peloquin LSD, Bearings, Bolts

Peloquin LSD Close-up

Flip Side

Drilling out the OEM diff to remove ring gear

Swapping the ring gear onto the Peloquin LSD

O2Q Cracked open

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
reserved

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Work of art.....Wow

They did a great job on the mate and re-install..... everything is quiet, aligned and smooth.

Whats also so cool is Gary Peloquin is a self described one-man operation. If u look at all his distributors on his site; i dont know how he does it.

allset

Go Kart Champion

RickA1

Ready to race!
All of that for the most part is now just a bad memory, what a difference. The wheel spin from a level, hard launch is almost completely gone

Really? I thought a LSD would distribute torque between the two wheels, reducing torque to the wheel with less traction and adding it to the one with more traction. Does it also reduce torque if none of the wheels have traction? (Sort of an "inverse" ABS??)

allset

Go Kart Champion
Trying to top my reviews now eh allset? Lol
Seriously an amazing writeup for an amazing product and shop.
This is a great review of your work in case others were looking to do the same.

thanks Hyde.

lol, someone had to break your streak.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Really? I thought a LSD would distribute torque between the two wheels, reducing torque to the wheel with less traction and adding it to the one with more traction. Does it also reduce torque if none of the wheels have traction? (Sort of an "inverse" ABS??)

Right "from the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips" but I def noticed less spin from a flat level launch where presumably both wheels had equal traction loss.

Before, from a hard launch in 1st is was total spin from go. Now there is still some spin but much later and at the top of the gear. I also have crap all seasons with low tred now, so im assuming it will only get better with quality summers.

The issue here may be the stabilty/tractions systems and tweaking them with vagcom, which by luck there is alot of posting on them right now. The braking from them may or may not interfere with a mechanical lsd by reducing wheel spin thru braking. i still have lots of "testing" to do with this.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Can you share in greater detail why you chose this over Wavetrack?

Honestly, it came down to i spoke with more poeple who had peloquin and were running them for a good amount of time and loved them. Wavetrac also has a patent pending design which ive only seen in it. That may be good or bad but i usually tend to go with proven tech and design. I also saw quite a few Wavetracs for sale on the forums. Not that it means anything but still.

RickA1

Ready to race!
Right "from the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips" but I def noticed less spin from a flat level launch where presumably both wheels had equal traction loss.

Before, from a hard launch in 1st is was total spin from go. Now there is still some spin but much later and at the top of the gear. I also have crap all seasons with low tred now, so im assuming it will only get better with quality summers.

The issue here may be the stabilty/tractions systems and tweaking them with vagcom, which by luck there is alot of posting on them right now. The braking from them may or may not interfere with a mechanical lsd by reducing wheel spin thru braking. i still have lots of "testing" to do with this.

Very interesting. So this looks like a solution to put all that extra power to the wheels for hard launches? Still don't understand why id does it though.

check4twenty

Passed Driver's Ed
This was a great write up. I will be installing an LSD at some point. I am currently waiting for my new SB clutch to arrive. I am being told it has been back-ordered, its been two weeks, I'm not sure what the friggin deal is. Its very, very frustrating.

Are those new bearings that come with LSD lubed by transmission fluid? Or are they packed with grease? If so, what kind of grease is used to pack them?

first post, btw, hello all.