GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show me your rear fog light

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
I'm planning on installing a rear fog light on non led tail lights and I was wondering if anyone here installed one? If you can provide the instructions that would be good too. :)

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I don't see a point for the rear fog light. What does it do?

Its the brightness of a brake light and provides greater ablility to be seen from the rear. They're required in many countries outside of North America.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
Pics of rear fog being used would be awesome.

BoomBoy

Ready to race!
Its the brightness of a brake light and provides greater ablility to be seen from the rear. They're required in many countries outside of North America.

So, it is just brigher brake lights? Do you have to activate it or is it on all the time?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Mine is the 2 inside lights when I activate the fogs the back lights up

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
So, it is just brigher brake lights? Do you have to activate it or is it on all the time?

You have to activate it. Those cars have a Euro switch, you pull once to activate the front fogs, pull the dial out further activates the rear fog.

Bmath340

Ready to race!
Also, when you park, you can make the left brake light fog light stay on while parked so no one side swipes you. In other countries the streets are VERY narrow. So its needed. And yeah, the euro switch is needed to make it work. And vagcom I believe..

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie

Have you ever seen the German cars that seem to have one brake light on? That's what it is. It's about as bright as a brake light, but only exists on one side (typically the driver's side). They're activated when the front fogs are activated...again...typically.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!

It has it's uses. Around here (Chicagoish) though, the "I'm so Euro" crowd loves to run them on clear nights too. It's really annoying to be behind someone with rear fogs turned on when they aren't needed. I don't know if tickets are given out for for running rear fogs when it's not foggy, but they should be.

Bmath340

Ready to race!
Here's an idea of how it looks.

Just google "GTI rear Fog light" and you'll see a lot of different pics..

Attachments

• TOD3.jpg
    TOD3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 6,195

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
It has it's uses. Around here (Chicagoish) though, the "I'm so Euro" crowd loves to run them on clear nights too. It's really annoying to be behind someone with rear fogs turned on when they aren't needed. I don't know if tickets are given out for for running rear fogs when it's not foggy, but they should be.

Agreed. When used inappropriately, they are quite annoying. It can be as if they're braking and one of their lights are out.

dub-Nation

Ready to race!
I would to know as well, I will be getting my euro switch hopefully tonight. I plan on getting the LEDs, but in the meantime I would like to wire my stock tails.

I have a rear fog on all my cars, even my Mom has it on her MK4. I do a lot of caravans, so for me the rear fog is easier to spot me since I am normally the lead car.

Also, for those people who like to tail gate me and flash their brights, I will at least have something I can do to let them know I see them.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Well in Europe they are mandatory they intensify the rear lights (well on a proper car they do, one light doesn't do much cheap skates) will driving in fog. Its like driving with your brake lights on all the time, same wattage. Obviously the brake lights are seperate else no one would know you're braking. ;)

DanwsKayBug said:
Mine is the 2 inside lights when I activate the fogs the back lights up
Yes but only one is the fog the other is the reversing lamp even though both lenses are white.

Last edited:

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Yes but only one is the fog the other is the reversing lamp even though both lenses are white.

No mine are the 2 taillights that light up I still have 2 reverse lights. (US Spec with UK light conversion)