Shuenk TSI K04+ Turbo - Dyno - Review

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
My review
Product: Shuenk K04+ for TSI Mk5 & Mk6
Price: $949
Part number: SKU K04+(EA888)

Reason:
Recently a friend wanted my K03+ and this made me think about jumping to the K04+. I knew that this would be just a small amount of difference but why not help a friend and upgrade your turbo at the same time. So the K03+ came out and the K04+ went in.

Of course if you are still running the stock IHI then this is a big difference! Check my k03+ review for the OEM turbo compression.

Benefits:
The K04+ has larger billet compressor and larger turbine wheel thus better flow than what I was getting out of the K03+. Whereas the K03+ turbo is designed to be a bolt on replacement for your IHI turbo, the K04+ is designed to be a K04 with some added benefits. Of course the largest benefit is jumping to the K04+ is the added horsepower/torque and testing out Integrated Engineering’s K04 software on a hybrid turbo.

Includes:

K04+ turbocharger
Silicone adapter
Optional:
Boost pipe

Requirements:
K04 tune

Comparison:
As I do with all my mods I do a side by side comparison. The K04+ vs the K03+ has little differences on the outside because both use the same compressor housing and turbine manifold. There was a small differences in the way they are cast but none of those looked like performance changes. I did get the turbine housing on the K04+ ceramic coated so it has a black finish.

K03+ vs K04+ 3.jpg

Install:
These are basically the same install notes from my K03+ review because the turbo install is the same.

The install is a moderate/high level install. Simple tools, and like most, I have done all my installs but this was one of the bigger. As most know the turbo is in a crap location and can have some difficult bolt locations. Just like all installs make sure you spray everything down with penetrant lube prior to removal. There is a great write up by Gamble on golfmk6 that will give you all the basic step by steps for the install as the K04 and K03+ and K04+ are the same body turbos. For this install I spread out over a weekend and 7 hrs. a day give or take some breaks. Taking my time of course. The turbo the compressor did need to be clocked because I did not like where the compressor outlet sat in relation to the block. This required loosening the five bolts on the compressor side and slowly moving the housing the give me better clearance. There is a limit to adjust-ability and you do not want to move it so much that the wastegate arm changes its preload. With that done it was just a bolt everything back together.

Dyno:
As with all my reviews I need proof. As I have said before a dyno is a great tool to see if your car has gained or lost power. If you just strap your car down and do one run and nothing else then you really are not using a dyno for its purpose. This dyno is different than my past because I was having too much wheel spin on the dyno in third gear so we had to do the runs in fourth. All my previous dyno’s where in third so I did not over lay those on this review because of the variables. My previous stage two number on this dyno were 269whp 291wtq.

AWD mustang dyno with correction factor, it was a 70 degrees so the correction factor on this day was minimal

IE intake, IE intake manifold, CTS boost pipes, D088 Intercooler, CTS DP, SPM Exhaust, IE K04 IM tune, now with the K04+ (May 7, 2020 10am 70 degrees – graph best of the four runs)

Dyno K04+ IE 93 K04 IM tune.jpg

345whp 349wtq

DSC_0066.JPG

Datalog:
Also I datalog all my dyno runs so I can review each run to make sure there were no weird issues during the runs. The hybrid did a spot on job of hitting the request boost from the tune and all the logs looked really good.

K04+ datlog.png

Daily Driving:
I really love the shift in the power band from the low end torque of a stg2 to the progressive power delivery of the K04+. When my car was stg 2 all the TQ hit from 3-4k now I feel the pull much higher in the RPM band from 4k to almost redline. Now the car has that NA car feel where the power continues to build to redline.

Conclusion:
I love the power delivery of the K04+ for me and for track days it was worth the upgrade. Now would I have gone through all this had I not been asked for the K03+ probably not BUT if I had my stock turbo and wanted to buy a K04+ then hell yes I would recommend that. The K04+ and a K04 tune really fits this car and this platform. As you have read other say, this is the turbo this car should have come with from VW. No this is not a BIG turbo and no you are not going to be a 500hp internet star but if you want solid gains and a turbo that has multiple tuning options and is very reliable then yes do the upgrade.

Where to buy them
https://shuenk.com/
Contact sales@shuenk.com

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
1. Thanks again for doing god's work

2. What accounts for the major difference in the 3 runs?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
1. Thanks again for doing god's work

2. What accounts for the major difference in the 3 runs?

I was dealing with tire spin and I really wanted to do the runs in third so I could overlay them onto my stg2 and K03+ numbers but once boost came on it would spin and then you have to back off and start again. I dropped the tire pressures down to 30psi an still would not get a clean run. So I let it cool down for half an hour and we did the last two runs in fourth gear. Still got a flash of the ESC but was able to get a clean pull.

Update: here was one of the last runs were we started in third = wheels spin again then shifted to fourth and did the run.

K04+ dyno pulls

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Ahh ok that makes sense. It looked like heat soak or something but i saw it was 70 and you have an intercooler so i was like huh.

But yeah way to break the dyno man, youve sold me.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Since you have experience with both I have a weird question…. how would this turbo run on a stage 2 tune? Would the peak horsepower be around K03+ output on the same tune?

The reason I ask is that I also do track days, but the rest of my car can’t handle nearly 350 whp (stock differential, stock brake calipers, no oil cooler, intercooler, etc)…. but 350 whp would be super fun for short bursts on the street where I won’t be stressing my brakes by expecting them to pull me down from 140 mph to 50 mph every two minutes. For the track I’d like to cap my overall engine output to no more than 300 crank (or around stage 2 on the stock turbo).

Last edited:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Since you have experience with both I have a weird question…. how would this turbo run on a stage 2 tune? Would the peak horsepower be around K03+ output on the same tune?

The reason I ask is that I also do track days, but the rest of my car can’t handle nearly 350 whp (stock differential, stock brake calipers, etc)…. but 350 whp would be super fun for short bursts on the street where I won’t be stressing my brakes by expecting them to pull me down from 140 mph to 50 mph every two minutes. For the track I’d like to cap my overall engine output to no more than 300 crank (or around stage 2 on the stock turbo).

The issue would be the stage 2 tune will ask for a lot of low end tq but the Stock turbo or a K03+ keeps that from being excessive because of hardware limitations. Now if you run a stg2 tune with a K04 that low end tq becomes dangerous for your rods. If you look at the difference in the way tuners manage the boost curve for a stg2 that looks like a ski sloop (Green datalog) - vs a K04 tune (purple datalog) that is a mid range hill - that is to protect the engine.

For my track days I have had to added an anti-lift kit to the front suspension, more aggressive alignment, along with upgraded brakes all around, and still learning how to manage the power post apex, so I don't wash out into understeer.

K03+ boost request.jpg
K04+ datlog.png

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The issue would be the stage 2 tune will ask for a lot of low end tq but the Stock turbo or a K03+ keeps that from being excessive because of hardware limitations. Now if you run a stg2 tune with a K04 that low end tq becomes dangerous for your rods. If you look at the difference in the way tuners manage the boost curve for a stg2 that looks like a ski sloop (Green datalog) - vs a K04 tune (purple datalog) that is a mid range hill - that is to protect the engine.

For my track days I have had to added an anti-lift kit to the front suspension, more aggressive alignment, along with upgraded brakes all around, and still learning how to manage the power post apex, so I don't wash out into understeer.

View attachment 216710View attachment 216711
Thanks, that’s incredibly helpful. Sounds like it’s not a great idea.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I have a couple thousand miles on this now and still running strong!

There was some questions as to the turbine and compressor style. The compressor is mixed flow and both are larger than the k03+ but I did not mic them. Here are some pics. Also still pulling 285+ across the MAF.

0724E69F-6C23-4EB5-9D7A-D96A86B18875.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D79A9C7-F5C9-473F-BC47-5E413E7221CE.jpeg
    8D79A9C7-F5C9-473F-BC47-5E413E7221CE.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 64C2DC08-7AB4-4D1A-8360-E0824928B2BF.jpeg
    64C2DC08-7AB4-4D1A-8360-E0824928B2BF.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

AnotherMK6GTI

A bit older thread but how's she holding up? I'm just worried due to how cheap this is it almost feels like spending the extra 500$ on a name brand give you security but I'm really curious. I do want to go k04 so I'm weighing all the options Rn

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I still daily mine and no issues.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

butthead123

Ready to race!
Hi @WalkerT, I know you have since sold your car but are you able to share with us/me some datazap datalogs on your IE K04 tune ? I currently have GIAC's k04 tune and I just wanted to see IE's ignition timing and boost curves and compare it with my logs. Thanks!

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Hi @WalkerT, I know you have since sold your car but are you able to share with us/me some datazap datalogs on your IE K04 tune ? I currently have GIAC's k04 tune and I just wanted to see IE's ignition timing and boost curves and compare it with my logs. Thanks!
You can poke around my logs. FBO K04 CC running IE's software.

Here is the 93 file (running WMI to bring timing correction to zero)

https://datazap.me/u/kosmaras/ie-k04-93-octane-250cc-wmi-55f-3rd-gear?log=0&data=13