GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side to side shifter slop

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I have a Dieselgeek shifter installed. Also metal bracket/ bushings.

I have a lot of slop side to side, even when in gear. No front to back looseness. Pulled the console, the cable end bushings look fine, so does the first gear getter. Everything seems to move in a 1:1 ratio.

Replaced the plastic shifter ball housing and shimmed it as described by Dieselgeek. No difference. There’s slight play on the bushings on the shifter shaft itself, but it’s not the cause of the looseness.

Any ideas?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I did! They were very helpful, emailed back and forth over the Labor Day weekend. Great customer service. Unfortunately, the news was not as great. They diagnosed it as a faulty pivot bushing in front of the shifter stick.

The pin is riveted, so not serviceable. He did mention he has worked on a replacement, but they haven’t decided whether to make that product.

If we get a bunch of people showing interest, I’ll share this post with them to see if it can get the ball rolling. So drop your name here if you have the same issue and would be interested in a fix.

Other than that, seems the only option would be to replace the entire shift assembly.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Great news! I'm definitely interested and would be glad to do an in depth product review for DG if they decide to offer it. I have a lot of their products and have also had fantastic experiences with their customer service. The side to side wobble is driving me crazy in an otherwise tight shift assembly.

I haven't done the First Gear Getter yet because I checked out that bushing while moving the shifter around (shift boot removed) and there didn't appear to be any deflection or slop. I'll probably throw it in soon anyways.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I recently installed the DG Sigma 6 too, and have more side to side play than I'd like. It definitely seems to be within the shifter lever/mount, you can easily see a bit of play with the console disassembled a bit. I can wiggle the shifter a bit and see that it doesn't move anything in the pivot/mount until you move it more. For me, it looks like the issue is more with the white plastic mount, and metal spring, but maybe the play is being caused up further, I don't know for sure.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
The white plastic mount is replaceable, but it is a pain. You can pull it out from the top. Dieselgeek has a video on their website. There’s also bushings within the spring on the shifter shaft. Dieselgeek sells replacement bushings for that location as well.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I wonder if that bushing was bad on my car. I always felt like the stick had a decent amount of slop in it. One of my biggest problems was how much the stick could rotate though, so that's a bit different than side to side slop, but I'm pretty sure I had some of that too. I wasn't that aware of it until I got my new car...there isn't really play at all and it feels a lot better.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about designing a better shifter assembly anyhow. Problem is the one that I found made by a German tuner, which is race spec built, is farrrrrrrrr too pricey. Like $1K USD pricey. So I hope I could get it made for around $300-$500 and still be a nice customizable upgrade.

A rivet is serviceable btw, drill it and replace it with a new fastener that is SAE Grade 8+ or ISO 10.9+ as most of that is going to be standard hole size stuff. Just pick the screw with a head height that won't interfere.

If DG makes a kit or something that would remedy, awesome, but it's gonna be involved as an install regardless of the method.

I have the same setup with the MK5 metal bracket and Tyrol Sport bushes. Do y'all constantly hit 1st/3rd the gate shifting under a fast turn from 2nd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I spoke to Jim at Dieselgeek, and that was one of his concerns. The fix would involve removal of the center console and drilling out the rivet. That would probably turn off some customers from attempting it. So who knows if there’s enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

A quick search showed a new shifter assembly from ECS was about 350$. Or source a used one, but the same bushing could be worn out. If it keeps bothering me I’ll consider one of those options eventually.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I spoke to Jim at Dieselgeek, and that was one of his concerns. The fix would involve removal of the center console and drilling out the rivet. That would probably turn off some customers from attempting it. So who knows if there’s enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

A quick search showed a new shifter assembly from ECS was about 350$. Or source a used one, but the same bushing could be worn out. If it keeps bothering me I’ll consider one of those options eventually.
By removal of the center console I assume you mean removing the plastic piece that surrounds the shifter assembly and cup holder? If so that's not a big deal at all and well documented in all the euro cup holder install guides. I'd do it in a heartbeat to get rid of this slop. If Jim doesn't bring this product to market I'm going to email him to beg for a pre-production version haha.

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Interested!

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
@tony48 I told him I’d be more than happy to try it out if needed. He said it’s a 100% fix he’s already tested. The issue is they’d need to order parts in bulk to make it worthwhile.

Also, I measured just for fun. With the car in 3rd gear, I have 5/8” of play from left to right. Even if I have to drop the exhaust and replace the whole shifter at full price, it’ll get done eventually. That’s too much slop.