GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side to side shifter slop

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
I have issues getting OUT of 1st and sometimes 2nd or 3rd. It's almost as if it has to be lower RPM to pull it out of gear. Not sure if it's linkage it's a new clutch kit etc. It had these symptoms with OEM and DG linkage, bushings I see look fine. Not sure what symptoms this bushing replacement would fix? Shift fixes I'd sign up for, plastic trim around shifter is more difficult to remove than center console. One rivet drilled out meh, ez

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Update from Jim:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 221

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Lol signs you need that fallback shop.

Machinists are always a fine dance since they know what they like doing and don't usually like to stray from it.

Tell him to get the prototype made at Protolabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yea I have probably close to an inch side to side slop when in gear. Once I put in the first gear getter I won't have anything else left to try and I doubt that will clean it all up.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
@tony48 I told him I’d be more than happy to try it out if needed. He said it’s a 100% fix he’s already tested. The issue is they’d need to order parts in bulk to make it worthwhile.

Also, I measured just for fun. With the car in 3rd gear, I have 5/8” of play from left to right. Even if I have to drop the exhaust and replace the whole shifter at full price, it’ll get done eventually. That’s too much slop.
UPDATE: Jim @ Dieselgeek just emailed me to say he brought the part to market. Available here. I just bought one along with the cable saver end bushings and a first gear getter.

1584636553180.png

torga

Autocross Champion
I assume we'd have to remove the entire shift tower to install this? It comes out the bottom, through the exhaust tunnel, right?

torga

Autocross Champion
Negative, you have to remove the center console and it comes out the top.
Just the center console, not a chunk of the dash too? This looks like a worthwhile upgrade, but I'm trying to weigh the effort for this.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Just the center console, not a chunk of the dash too? This looks like a worthwhile upgrade, but I'm trying to weigh the effort for this.
You need to remove the bezels from around the head unit, and climate controls in order to get to the screws to remove the console. Use a panel tool, they are easy to get off, but you don't want to break the clips (actually the clips are fine, but they break off of the plastic bezel if you're not careful).

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Installed my pin. Reduced shifter play from 5/8” to just over 1/4”. Now that it’s fixed, I can more easily see that I have visible play in the shifter shaft bushings, and a little in the first gear getter. So I’ll upgrade those eventually. But it makes a noticeable improvement.

I needed to let the JB weld set up overnight. The guide still came loose, but once you start a pilot hole using it, you don’t need it in place.

Once I drilled the head, the pin was still stuck. I chiseled off the JB weld and what remained of the sides of the head. And the pin came right out the passenger side. There’s a plastic bushing that runs the length of the pin that needs to be removed from the drivers side.

Also couldn't get the passenger side bushing in easily. Centering the pin would push the bushing out. I put the nuts on and alternated tightening to get the pin to center while the nut held the bushing in place.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Installed my pin. Reduced shifter play from 5/8” to just over 1/4”. Now that it’s fixed, I can more easily see that I have visible play in the shifter shaft bushings, and a little in the first gear getter. So I’ll upgrade those eventually. But it makes a noticeable improvement.

I needed to let the JB weld set up overnight. The guide still came loose, but once you start a pilot hole using it, you don’t need it in place.

Once I drilled the head, the pin was still stuck. I chiseled off the JB weld and what remained of the sides of the head. And the pin came right out the passenger side. There’s a plastic bushing that runs the length of the pin that needs to be removed from the drivers side.

Also couldn't get the passenger side bushing in easily. Centering the pin would push the bushing out. I put the nuts on and alternated tightening to get the pin to center while the nut held the bushing in place.
Great to hear! I'm hoping to install mine this weekend.