GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smaller A/C Condenser?

97AutoXVette

Passed Driver's Ed
In an effort to improve airflow to the stock intercooler on my Golf R, I am wondering if anyone has seen or considered the idea of a smaller (half size) A/C condenser which only covers half of the surface area of the stock intercooler??

Looking at my current OEM condenser, you can clearly see the bent fins from rocks/debris/etc. from driving, especially on the lower half. It already blocks/starves the oem intercooler of cool airflow, and bent fins only inhibit this further.

I have been looking around, and am wondering if I can get a half-size A/C condenser to install in place of the OEM to greatly reduce blockage, yet still keep the OEM intercooler for lower inlet-air-temps.

Thanks for any info, thoughts, etc.

97AutoXVette

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd think your ac would suffer greatly, I'd just delete the ac all together if that's what you're considering. You could also add some air ducting to direct the air better.

Not looking to get rid of A/C system just yet (although maybe in a few years!).

The air ducting method is a good idea. Just trying to think how I would route improved ducting to the stock location. A/C blows ice cold currently, so was wondering if a 50% condenser size would still allow it to blow cold. The other challenge is finding a condenser that has the same connections/locations as the OEM condenser.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
A/C delete is on the menu for me. Some cars struggle with temps, others don't. If you're only Stage 2+ I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you got fresh fluid and tires and go full send

zrickety

The Fixer
You could find a smaller condenser, and make custom brackets. Or you could just buy a new oem-spec condenser and you'll free up that air flow. I have seen fin straightener tools...that might be worth a try. More importantly, I would consider heat wrap tape on all the intake pipes and the throttle pipe to keep those temps down.

torga

Autocross Champion
Why not just get an aftermarket FMIC? Best airflow possible and you can keep your A/C.

97AutoXVette

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not just get an aftermarket FMIC? Best airflow possible and you can keep your A/C.

I am also considering that. However, a Neuspeed FMIC setup with the spacer brackets runs over $900 total. So was going to look into a smaller condenser concept first just to entertain it.

VirginiaArnold

Dual starting condensers are made especially for outdoor units of non-inverter air conditioners. Significantly often, such condensers are installed in LG air conditioners. It is not the best solution because the compressor condenser often fails, and the fan remains working, but still, you have to change it completely. Another "minus" of such condensers - it is difficult to find on sale. Well, if you run into a problem, you probably just need to contact https://www.airconservicingsingapore.com/chemical-overhaul/. I hope my comment was helpful to you

Last edited: