GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smog in CA and k04

jhstl

Passed Driver's Ed
No I have the bosch 3. I just flashed back to stock and now have a CEL. Going to put on the stock map on today.

I think he was referring to the # of tunes stored in the ECU.

An 02 spacer may help with the CEL. I wouldn't recommend swapping back to the OEM MAP sensor if you have the APR K04 tune - it's meant to run with the 3 bar map sensor regardless of which slot you select from the tuned files.

Mslstudio22

You probly need to flash back to stock and put stock downpipe back on..OR do what most people do and start asking racers who know the right people. A "passed" smog might only cost ya like 250

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
K04 APR, depending when you were tuned has a newer release that included Test-Pipe and Non-Test pipe on the same file. Thus they put the stock mode as "non-test" pipe so when you switch it back, it's reading normal levels but you still require a cat.

I basically did this, then had a shop put on a loaner/borrow stock cat dp so I could pass. Then went back and had it removed back to aftermarket. Was a PITA to figure all of it out but in the end was rather easy and will be my common route when needing to pass in NJ.

NateMKVI

Too late. Have stock MAP and DP. Now just running around to reset the monitors.
I know this is an old thread but I’m in the same situation. I swapped back to the stock DP and had the tuner flash back to the stock tune. Apparently even on the “stock” mode it will fail 2020 CA emissions because of the file size compared to OEM. I am getting an overboost code and I’m assuming it is the 3bar MAP sensor causing it. Did swapping out the components get you passed smog?

Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I know this is an old thread but I’m in the same situation. I swapped back to the stock DP and had the tuner flash back to the stock tune. Apparently even on the “stock” mode it will fail 2020 CA emissions because of the file size compared to OEM. I am getting an overboost code and I’m assuming it is the 3bar MAP sensor causing it. Did swapping out the components get you passed smog?

Thanks!

Yes, you should put your stock MAP back in if you have a stock file so it can read pressure correctly. Once you have your stock DP, oem map and your stock tune on you are part way there. You then need to:

1. Clear all error codes.
2. Then you need to either do the 100 or so miles of mixed driving OR if you have a Ross-Tech VCDS cable, there is a routine that simulates the driving needed to reset/re-read the emissions codes. At the end the Set Readiness test it will tell you if you have any failures. Same as what the smog shop would see.

Then if you have no errors to correct (like bad O2 sensors) should be ready for the ODBII portion of the test. The visual test in Calif will of course look for OEM Cat (which you are putting on) and any other visible parts related to emissions control. Intakes, intake manifolds etc., if you have any they must have an EO tag on them showing them they are CARB approved.

NateMKVI

Yes, you should put your stock MAP back in if you have a stock file so it can read pressure correctly. Once you have your stock DP, oem map and your stock tune on you are part way there. You then need to:

1. Clear all error codes.
2. Then you need to either do the 100 or so miles of mixed driving OR if you have a Ross-Tech VCDS cable, there is a routine that simulates the driving needed to reset/re-read the emissions codes. At the end the Set Readiness test it will tell you if you have any failures. Same as what the smog shop would see.

Then if you have no errors to correct (like bad O2 sensors) should be ready for the ODBII portion of the test. The visual test in Calif will of course look for OEM Cat (which you are putting on) and any other visible parts related to emissions control. Intakes, intake manifolds etc., if you have any they must have an EO tag on them showing them they are CARB approved.

Thank You!!!!! Getting the stock MAP sensor today. I’m definitely going to look into the Vag-Com cable. If I don’t come back to the thread it probably worked!
Cheers!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Thank You!!!!! Getting the stock MAP sensor today. I’m definitely going to look into the Vag-Com cable. If I don’t come back to the thread it probably worked!
Cheers!

Update it if you can! helps other people in the future. Also what's this about stock files not working in CA for smog due to file size??? What did you mean by stock compared to the OEM tune?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
You probly need to flash back to stock and put stock downpipe back on..OR do what most people do and start asking racers who know the right people. A "passed" smog might only cost ya like 250
I have a plug here in the DFW area. Only cost $60. Its what I do when its inspection time.
I have seen those dangles before but didn't pay much attention. I mean, 9ncw you are ko4 there really isn't a need ti switch between maps that APR offers. I guess you could switch between octane files but mehhh. I wish apr did custom tuning for meth

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Update it if you can! helps other people in the future. Also what's this about stock files not working in CA for smog due to file size??? What did you mean by stock compared to the OEM tune?
I will butt in for an unqualified opinion, I don't believe the "file size" is a thing as the OEM tune is upgraded from time to time just no way they could track a moving target.
OEM vs Stock, so OEM would be factory tune, someone like APR can create tunes with stock parameters which just would't be OEM.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
........... I wish apr did custom tuning for meth

You don't need a custom tune to run Meth. APR makes a 100 oct file, you can just use that to take advantage of meth. I ran K04 with 100oct file and w/m on my daily drivers for years, it was great. 91 oct gas in my tank and a 2 nozzle Snow system running 50/50 water meth and I was able to dial in the w/m to zero knock and made great power to redline.

NateMKVI

Will do! I had a buddy try to smog it in stock mode selected before trying to replace the DP. He mentioned that the smog wouldn’t go through because the file was too big on the ECU compared to the factory tune even though he set readiness. Don’t know if he was BS’ing but I’ve heard from others that the stock mode selection still won’t pass CA smog in 2020 and it’s needs to be completely flashed to stock.