GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smog in CA and k04

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I think somehow it picked up all 4 tunes and flagged that. I’m not completely sure, I’ll ask my buddy for more details and update. If someone has passed in 2020 with proper DP by just selecting the stock tune that would save me $80 for the reflash.

That is insane......wait, it's CA, why am I surprised. lol

The dealers figured out they could just read file size and compare to find tunes, but they have the info on how big the newest OEM file is. So CA is keeping a database of OEM ECU file sizes on all vehicles, requiring the OEMs to then feed that database and keep them updated? 😵

I'd be interested to see if that is the case or if your buddy misunderstood and had another issue with readiness flag or non-CARB part.

NateMKVI

The dealers figured out they could just read file size and compare to find tunes, but they have the info on how big the newest OEM file is. So CA is keeping a database of OEM ECU file sizes on all vehicles, requiring the OEMs to then feed that database and keep them updated? 😵

I'd be interested to see if that is the case or if your buddy misunderstood and had another issue with readiness flag or non-CARB part.
Still waiting to hear back from him. I swapped out the map sensor for the stock one and don’t have the pressure code anymore. I am still getting code P0140 on bank1 sensor 2 for the O2 still. You think I should drop a new sensor in?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Still waiting to hear back from him. I swapped out the map sensor for the stock one and don’t have the pressure code anymore. I am still getting code P0140 on bank1 sensor 2 for the O2 still. You think I should drop a new sensor in?

Unfortunately yes, probably got fouled out. You can try and clean it but generally replacement is the accepted remedy.

NateMKVI

He said he’s not 100 percent sure but most likely. I talked to my tuner and he confirmed this has been an issue in 2020. So far seems to be true.

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
I have my smog in Jan. I can report back what comes back when I do.
On stage 2 APR. I plan on going to stock file and keeping the awe dp since all markers are green on obd2. Regarding visual - done it 2x with the same guy. Never did visual. Going to gamble again with that.

H132

Ready to race!
Passed smog with APR k04 and downpipe. Reflashed to stock k04 tune non-testpipe. Since I'm cbfa, I had to use 2 jai spacers. Medium insert on middle jet and smallest insert on last jet cleared all readiness codes. Slapped my oem intake on and I got a complete pass. I was sweating it as I was already a month overdue, thank God! 🤪

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Passed smog with APR k04 and downpipe. Reflashed to stock k04 tune non-testpipe. Since I'm cbfa, I had to use 2 jai spacers. Medium insert on middle jet and smallest insert on last jet cleared all readiness codes. Slapped my oem intake on and I got a complete pass. I was sweating it as I was already a month overdue, thank God!

Passed smog with APR k04 and downpipe. Reflashed to stock k04 tune non-testpipe. Since I'm cbfa, I had to use 2 jai spacers. Medium insert on middle jet and smallest insert on last jet cleared all readiness codes. Slapped my oem intake on and I got a complete pass. I was sweating it as I was already a month overdue, thank God! 🤪
Damn lucky you. They didn't even do the proper smog check

Mark_six

I have a K04 kit by HPA tuned by APR. I had a catted downpipe but put on the stock one due to not passing smog. Should I be able to pass smog with the stock downpipe on now?
Not an expert my dude, but from what my tune guy told me, stock DP and stock tune flash is needed. Hence why I’m looking for a pay to pass place. My stage 3 with non cat dp won’t do it.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Where did you get your test done?

H132

Ready to race!
Where did you get your test done?
Here in socal where I live.
Damn lucky you. They didn't even do the proper smog check
Right. They're supposed to check for spacers, but I knew this shop does not. The story is even more complicated than I told it. When I first tried to smog my car, as soon as they scanned the VIN number the computer said my car had to be sent to a smog referee. I was like WTF I've never had my car smogged or even scanned before, and I bought the damn thing new. I came to find out that CA law allows the DMV to randomly select 2 percent of registered vehicles in the county to automatically go to a smog referee. I won the evil lottery. I was pissed. I had just finally got my car to clear readiness after much trial & error with the spacers, and now I'm being told I have to go to a ref right off the bat. I was like NO. I got on the phone and called a dozen people in Sacramento until I finally got connected to a engineer with the Board of Auto Repair, which heads up the entire show. He's the one who told me I won the evil lottery and about the law. But long story short, he said this time I'm going to clear the referee flag so you can get the car scanned without having to go to a ref. Now you know why I say, thank God. Damn...so I schedule my appt with my smog guy, put the oem intake, and I took it in quick and it passed everything.

Not an expert my dude, but from what my tune guy told me, stock DP and stock tune flash is needed. Hence why I’m looking for a pay to pass place. My stage 3 with non cat dp won’t do it.
Not sure, but I don't think you can do this anymore. It's all computerized now. Perhaps you can find a shop who doesn't do the visual inspection, but once they hook your car up to the computer in Sacramento, they'll know quick if it's really your car and if it's clearing readiness. You'll have to find a setup that will clear the readiness codes.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Here in socal where I live.

Not sure, but I don't think you can do this anymore. It's all computerized now. Perhaps you can find a shop who doesn't do the visual inspection, but once they hook your car up to the computer in Sacramento, they'll know quick if it's really your car and if it's clearing readiness. You'll have to find a setup that will clear the readiness codes.

This has been computerized for years. The readiness codes that are thrown for stage 2 or K04 cars are related to the lack of a properly functioning catalytic convertor. You can put your stock downpipe/catalytic converter back on. Clear the readiness codes either by driving in varied conditions for a few days or you can use the the simulation routine with a Ross-Tech cable/software that takes about 20min and gives you a readiness readout at the end.

Note - after having run without a converter for a while you may have to replace 02 sensors as they may be fouled out, and I have found no good way to clean them. Also, if you buy a Neuspeed or K&N intake you can get a CARB number so you won't have to switch them out. In some cases you will need to switch to a stock tune but not always. APR had some tunes that suppressed a CEL for the use of they downpipe. If you have a tune like that you would have to switch to a stock tune. But why not just switch anyway.

Ross-Tech gives you this readout after you run the driving simulation routine. I can't force readiness, only tell you if your car would pass or not.

H132

Ready to race!
This has been computerized for years. The readiness codes that are thrown for stage 2 or K04 cars are related to the lack of a properly functioning catalytic convertor. You can put your stock downpipe/catalytic converter back on. Clear the readiness codes either by driving in varied conditions for a few days or you can use the the simulation routine with a Ross-Tech cable/software that takes about 20min and gives you a readiness readout at the end.

Note - after having run without a converter for a while you may have to replace 02 sensors as they may be fouled out, and I have found no good way to clean them. Also, if you buy a Neuspeed or K&N intake you can get a CARB number so you won't have to switch them out. In some cases you will need to switch to a stock tune but not always. APR had some tunes that suppressed a CEL for the use of they downpipe. If you have a tune like that you would have to switch to a stock tune. But why not just switch anyway.

Ross-Tech gives you this readout after you run the driving simulation routine. I can't force readiness, only tell you if your car would pass or not.
Not if you have the APR k04 with a cbfa engine. The apr kit does not have bung for 3rd sensor and there's not enough space to weld onto cbfa downpipe. You can us the ccta dp and put a 3rd bung and that will work, but you can't just go back to your oem dp if you are cbfa.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I know Unitronic k04 also disables the rear o2 sensor, so that requires a flash to stock and o2 spacers if you can get away with it, if not, stock downpipe.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I wonder how Ko4 tunes will pass now with smog stations also checking the ECU software in socal now.

In the past I’ve passed smog by switching my APR ko4 tune to the stock boost levels and emissions readiness while using spacers in my high flow downpipe.

However looking at the APR website it’s only the stage 1 ko3 tune that has a carb number. Doesn’t mention if their KO4 tune at stock boost levels will identify on the Smog computer as their stage 1 KO3 tune.

Thinking further about it, even if the tune registers on the smog computer as a stage 1 ko4 tune, that carb number will likely only match Golf R’s so it still won’t pass.

Maybe it’s time to just give up the Ko4 and reinstall my stock KO3 turbo and just swap between Stage 1 and Stage 2:(