So I called VW of America...

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Turns out my 2010 is still covered until Apr 23 20 for the following:

Intake Manifold (Already done)
Fuel Injectors
Timing chain and tensioner (yes!)
Coolant Pump (Already done)

Sooo...I have an appt Thurs at the dealership. Has anyone gone this route? What should I expect? Will my tune and mods make it a non starter?

The car runs great, but if they cover it as part of a defect recall, I'll let em do it.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
When I was getting my car aligned at the dealer earlier this week I asked the guy about warranty work because I have a EVAP code that comes and goes. He said that VW was really cracking down on flagging cars with tunes. He asked if I had one and said as soon as he plugs it into the system it will flag it as TD1. So I said I'll just flash back to stock but he said if there is a down pipe or intake they won't warranty anything either. Well they would only know that if you told them. They are an APR dealer too ?.

From what I have read though a lot of it depends on the dealer. Did you tell them the car was tuned?

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
When I was getting my car aligned at the dealer earlier this week I asked the guy about warranty work because I have a EVAP code that comes and goes. He said that VW was really cracking down on flagging cars with tunes. He asked if I had one and said as soon as he plugs it into the system it will flag it as TD1. So I said I'll just flash back to stock but he said if there is a down pipe or intake they won't warranty anything either. Well they would only know that if you told them. They are an APR dealer too ?.

From what I have read though a lot of it depends on the dealer. Did you tell them the car was tuned?
No, but they will hear and see the exhaust mods...and I'm not sure the car will run properly if I take it back to stock with all the mods.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I think most 08.5-12s have the 120k extended intake manifold warranty which includes injectors. Its pretty nice. The newest version of the manifold comes with a revised flapper arm, stronger internal flap stops, new sensor and some other things but it seems to have mostly solved the faulty intake manifold issue.

As far as getting warranty work done it seems to be a case by case situation. When I got mine done I put my stock intake and took me boost tap out just so they wouldn't hassle me. Ive heard of others getting work done with all mods installed and others refusing to do anywork for the slightest thing. I don't think flashing back to stock will unflag you either they can still tell if its been flashed.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Why would the extended warranty stop at the 2012's? Mine is a 2013. I know that I have a different timing chain tensioner situation, but I thought that everything was the same with the intake manifold.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yeah its dumb. I'm guessing since the intake mani went through some revisions before getting to the latest one, the 2013s+ didnt have as many failures to warrant the warranty extension. Maybe they changed it? Idk you can contact VW with your vin.

Phur

Autocross Champion
:unsure:

When I was a teenager, my stepfather told me that I couldn't put the new, larger wheels that I got for my Camaro on because the tires on my current wheels were still in good shape... Less than two weeks later the tires were completely bald. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!:D

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Ive never had a VW dealer complain about working recalls on my modded cars. They will however definitely flag your car TD1 once it connects to VAGCOM. It isnt the end of the world. It just means if you did something crazy like threw a rod or destroy the trans they wont cover you.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Mod friendly dealers were a topic of discussion in the NorCal groups lol, some dealers would hassle you over an intake and others wouldn't bat an eye at a K04 etc lol. You'd just have to take the 40 min drive to another one.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
It's funny. Dealer by me where I bought my car joined with APR so they could offer tunes at the dealer to include with their purchases.

I didn't get my car tuned there as that wasn't available at that time but brought my APR stg2 tuned car their for a diagnosis when the turbo blew. The technician came back to me and said I was pushing too much power out of the turbo with the tune and that caused it to blow. Wait, you mean the same tune you guys offer for your customers now? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh well. I obviously didn't expect them to come in and cover anything. I was already at 38k miles. Just thought it was funny.

Otherwise they do work with no questions asked on tuned cars. Same thing with another dealer not too far that offers APR tunes at the dealership (they since stopped).

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Sadly. they said unless it skips timing or throws a code, there is nothing they can do...

My code: SOL ?