GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So I wanted a hitch on my Golf R for bike rack purposes...

showmedata

[First a quick intro: this is my first post here. Got my 2013 Golf a few months ago, after nearly 12 years in an Audi allroad - I just couldn't give up AWD and the promise of a CEL every few months.]

Obviously no good ones are available for purchase, so I made one that suits my needs.

Final product:
IMG_2878

I cut a relief in the bumper cover wide enough to put in a standard receiver shear pin, but it's still 100% covered by the license plate panel:
IMG_2872

I don't have the final pic with my plate on, but just using the upper expanding plastic clips without the expansion pins seems secure enough to hold the bracket+plate on (at least for now). That bracket+plate assembly absorbs that small amount of bow easily.
IMG_2873

How did I do it?

First, I sourced another bumper bar from a part-out. A steal at $55 shipped!

Then get a receiver tube, cut a notch in the top of the bumper bar, and weld it in there.
IMG_2867

I added some ribs to increase the torsional stiffness of the bumper bar, knowing I'd be putting a lot of moment on it that it wasn't designed for. Quite possibly unnecessary as that bar is THICK and hardened/hi-modulus steel, but I had welder in hand so...
IMG_2861

Take note that the receiver tube can not protrude forward more than about 1.5" from the beam, lest it interfere with the body:
IMG_2870

To install, simply remove the bumper cover (which requires removing the tail light assemblies, according to the book). This is actually quite easy compared to some vehicles.
IMG_2866

Just 5 bolts to remove, swap the bumper beam, and bolt the modified one in place:
IMG_2871

This is one reason that this "hitch" is not suitable for towing anything significant (not to mention the strict prohibitions against towing written in the R owner's manual) - the beam is held on by 5 medium-sized bolts (I didn't measure them, but maybe M8?) in tension. The beam and its interface to the body structure is designed to take huge compressive loads, but no tensile loads at all. Factory-designed hitches for Golfs (and other VAG cars I've seen) have horizontal arms that go into the frame rails some distance, held in place by big fasteners put in (usually double) shear. I'm personally comfortable with the risk that my mod will hold my bikes on a rack, and I'll suck it up if it fails. I am not making recommendations one way or another for anybody else.

Installing a trailer wiring harness took me much longer than installing the bumper itself, but I wanted it to power tail lights on the rack. And just in case I ever *do* buy that kart I want, cuz it would need a little tiny trailer...

Cheers all.

Stinger

Ready to race!
:clap:

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
Your my new hero, just Fuxson genius
Saw one similar on an audi this past weekend could not figure out how it mounted.........Damn fine job brother:thumbsup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Great job.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
What welder are you using? I always burn thru thin metal like body panels, even at the lowest setting on my welder.

Renner

Go Kart Champion
very nice!!!! love seeing people get creative with doing things on cars.

+20000 this is the best part of social forums! Being creative and showing off work that can help other people is a GREAT way to start a good name for yourself....now don't fuck it up OP...and if you do, just post some noodz of a EX girlfriend and you will be ok on here :D

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
+20000 this is the best part of social forums! Being creative and showing off work that can help other people is a GREAT way to start a good name for yourself....now don't fuck it up OP...and if you do, just post some noodz of a EX girlfriend and you will be ok on here :D

im sure i have some somewhere :laugh:. just gotta dig em out.. man renner i tell ya this is some awesome stuff... im an audio man myself (used to do that for a living) and havent done many other mechanical mods on cars. but this forum especially has made me change little by little. plus the people i have met are awesome also.

showmedata

What welder are you using? I always burn thru thin metal like body panels, even at the lowest setting on my welder.

Just my buddy's MiG welder. There's no burn-through risk - that bumper bar is 3.5-4mm thick. I am *not* an expert welder and it was no problem.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Just my buddy's MiG welder. There's no burn-through risk - that bumper bar is 3.5-4mm thick. I am *not* an expert welder and it was no problem.

Not the bar itself...I meant the reenforcing strakes you welded in. They look like thin metal, but it's hard to tell in the pics. Anyway, this looks very neat.