GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So the whole timing chain pulley issue...

zrickety

The Fixer
The timing belts are 120k miles, I feel like this tensioner should be the same.

3dit0r

I feel like it should all be 120K or more, VW dropped the ball here.

I had the chance to buy a MY2012 A4 Quattro for a couple thousand more. But the time I've done this job properly it'll be nearly another grand. Pretty PO'd about it really, only got the golf to not push my budget as much as I really wanted another Quattro.

Lesson learned.

Gunner253

Super old thread but I was hoping to hear some updates. Anyone end up having problems or getting it replaced preventatively?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Super old thread but I was hoping to hear some updates. Anyone end up having problems or getting it replaced preventatively?
Honestly, VWOA isn't going to agree to replace parts just because they may fail. The extended warranty only covers if it does fail due to the outdated tensioner design.

Gunner253

Honestly, VWOA isn't going to agree to replace parts just because they may fail. The extended warranty only covers if it does fail due to the outdated tensioner design.
Not exactly what I was asking. I saw countless of people stating they haven't had problems yet or planned on replacing prematurely. I was more wondering, out of those people, how many ended up having tensioner issues or failure later on or replaced the tensioner before anything happened? I see a lot of people who haven't had any issues and I see few who have. Just wondering if longer term those numbers changed. Thanks for your response.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Not exactly what I was asking. I saw countless of people stating they haven't had problems yet or planned on replacing prematurely. I was more wondering, out of those people, how many ended up having tensioner issues or failure later on or replaced the tensioner before anything happened? I see a lot of people who haven't had any issues and I see few who have. Just wondering if longer term those numbers changed. Thanks for your response.
Gotcha

I have a 2010 and had my tensioner replaced years back as a precaution. I think a bunch of other people did the same.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Got my GTI’s tensioner and the rest of the components (guide rails, timing chain, etc) replaced with the revised VW part. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CHAIN AND THE REST DONE ALONG WITH THE TENSIONER REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE SAYS! I would also recommend paying a VW/Audi specialized shop to do the updated tensioner and timing kit service. That’s if you want your 2.0T running solid for years and years. It’s preventive maintenance and it’s worth doing. Don’t let the car or any car surprise you.