GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

(Solved) (Video) Non-Metallic Shuddering Noise From Driver Side Wheel Well

doomjazz

I've done my fair bit of searching, and nothing has come up that describes this noise. The noise occurs from a stop or slow roll at RPMs below 1k, though it seems like it's growing above 1k RPM. No noise during normal driving. Does anyone have any insight?

Video Link: GTI Wheel Well Shudder
(Video might still be processing, apologies)

doomjazz

It's weird because it didn't start until I had changed my exhaust recently. I need to get back under it and look at the mounts.

csumt76

Go Kart Newbie
Downpipe is seated in the hanger, which is secured to the frame. Nothing there.
It could still be rubbing elsewhere even if you only changed the DP. I had to used head phones to listen to the audio, that's all I could come up with.

doomjazz

Solved it! Turns out a screw holding the heat shield on my intake had come loose. I had a friend drive the car with me outside of it to listen for the sound coming from the wheel well. It was less audible outside the car, so I opened the hood on a hunch and had him do the same thing. The noise was a little more audible, but I couldn't localize it. After walking next to the car and placing my hand on various parts, I was able to find the loose screw. I may have been able to visually inspect it if it were earlier than 5:00pm in Seattle haha. Very happy that a weird noise didn't amount to something significant. Also a great lesson that vibration can transmit noise to areas of your car that aren't in close proximity. In this case, the very front of the car transmitting noise to what I perceived to be the driver's side wheel well.

1574358753042.png

1574358781313.png

torga

Drag Racing Champion
A happy ending! I love it when I can find the sources of those annoying sounds.