GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Something is loose in my door…

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I have been working on a stereo upgrade (I’ll probably post the build here) and in the process of putting in new speakers in the front door I discovered that something is loose/broken and stuck in the door. I thought it was just the white tip of the door panel clips because one of those was broken off when I pulled to door panel. However, I found the white piece and removed it and the problem persists. Since I’ve been driving without a door panel for a few days I’ve been able to listen and the sound comes and goes, it’s as if whatever is loose will become stuck until I hit a bump, take a turn, or stop quickly. Then it will slide around a bit, then get stuck again and go quiet. It’s very obvious when it’s loose and will be heard even after putting the door panel back on.

I need to get this out, but can’t figure out how. I’ve tried a telescopic magnet, but either the piece isn’t magnetic, or it’s in some little cranny that my magnet won’t reach. I have also constructed a smaller diameter hose to attach to my vacuum to suck it out, but that didn’t work either. I don’t know what else to try. Short of drilling out the rivets, or just cutting a hole in the black plastic, I don’t know if I have any other options. Maybe I should let the dealer check it (not sure if the warranty would cover this) since they can rivet it back on afterwards.

I cannot tell if something is just broken off and sliding around, or if maybe something is hang from somewhere and swinging around, occasionally getting trapped, then freeing up. Has anyone had this issue?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I found a "popped" pop rivet in the bottom of my driver door, it was clearly there from the factory and made the same noises you describe, you'll have to have a good feel around through the speaker opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I found a "popped" pop rivet in the bottom of my driver door, it was clearly there from the factory and made the same noises you describe, you'll have to have a good feel around through the speaker opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I suspect this is from, but the speaker opening is a joke so I can't get too far from there. If I had more than 2 square inches to work from in the speaker opening it would make this a lot easier. I think I'll just have to keep fishing for now.