GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sport Trucks (or at least trucks that aren't 8 feet in the air)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
I've been kicking around the idea of getting back into a truck at some point in the next couple of years so I can haul my MX bike around easily, but really don't like the direction that all the manufacturers are going with everything appearing to be lifted (I'm 5'4", so loading the bike is already a chore haha). I do tend to prefer the more sporty looking, slightly lowered truck craze from the early 2000s that seems to have died off. I loved my 2000 S-10 Xtreme at the time, and always like the appearance of the 03-06 Silverado SS. Does no manufacture do anything similar anymore? The Maverick looks appealing as far as size is concerned, but I guess Ford had to stop orders because they couldn't keep up. The Ridgeline would also be enough as I don't necessarily need a body-on-frame and it has all the creature comforts and tech that I'd be looking for that my current GTI doesn't have.

This thread is mostly just me talking out loud, but if you know of anything I may have overlooked, I'm open to suggestions.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I’d go Ridgeline. Can haul a decent amount if you need to pull a trailer, lots of covered storage and it’s a Honda V6 so reliable.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Obviously my Treg isn’t a “truck” but I don’t do any off-roading, I will be lowering with Cayenne GTS springs and Bilstein HD struts in a few years. They drive great for what they are and I’m really looking forward to closing that gap even more with the lower/stiffer springs and stiffer struts.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Agreed on ridgeline. And if you wanna go lower I’m sure someone makes coilovers!
Seems like some people have pulled it off haha. Not as boxy and nice looking as those early 2000s trucks, but I could live with it.

1663878612008.png

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I bought a 21' Tacoma off road last year. Most I've ever paid for a vehicle and just don't like it. I got it tuned with 250 miles on the odometer hoping it would make it a little more fun to drive. Nope. I want to like it but just don't. I don't think I like trucks in general. It's nice to have for doing truck stuff though
20220829_194057.jpg
20220610_161317.jpg

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
F5040B66-EE24-4CAA-AB18-9641CEAB3DF7.jpeg

1FDA6D93-C294-4F7B-A1E6-5CDEEF83E699.jpeg

9BE0E177-4552-44E9-AE7F-F795DB22734F.jpeg

Owned a 2018 manual Tacoma TRD and traded it for a 2019 auto Tacoma TRD. For car guys, the Tacoma is an awful vehicle. The trans/engine/tuning combo are terrible. Has a Camry engine, tuned for fuel economy, and the transmission seems to have a mind like a skittish house cat. I couldn’t take it anymore and traded it for a supercharged Tundra. Loved that truck, but had to let it go when fuel prices went up. 9-10mpg on premium was killing me.

If I were to get another truck, it would be the Chevy ZR2 with the v6, and then I’d supercharge it. The new ZR2 looks pretty badass too.

You could go full Westside Phoenix and buy a Silverado and drop it. They’re all the rage out there.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
I owned a ‘99 Sonoma for 17 years. It was a great truck and didn’t give me a ton of issues except I got everyone and their grandmother wanting me to help them move. It was 2WD with the 4.3 and 4L60E. It was low enough to get most stuff into.

@avenali312 are you strictly looking new? If it’s just for bikes, have you considered a van, like an Econoline or Express? An old work van will work well for a bike and you would need to unload it right away if you didn’t feel like it.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
I owned a ‘99 Sonoma for 17 years. It was a great truck and didn’t give me a ton of issues except I got everyone and their grandmother wanting me to help them move. It was 2WD with the 4.3 and 4L60E. It was low enough to get most stuff into.

@avenali312 are you strictly looking new? If it’s just for bikes, have you considered a van, like an Econoline or Express? An old work van will work well for a bike and you would need to unload it right away if you didn’t feel like it.
Not necessarily new, no. But I would like Android Auto this time around since my GTI doesn't have it haha. We just bought a new 2022 CR-V for my wife and all of the tech in there makes me jealous haha. I've looked into things like the Transit, but this would be my daily as well, not a third vehicle.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Not necessarily new, no. But I would like Android Auto this time around since my GTI doesn't have it haha. We just bought a new 2022 CR-V for my wife and all of the tech in there makes me jealous haha. I've looked into things like the Transit, but this would be my daily as well, not a third vehicle.
Ok. That makes sense. Then I vote ridge line too. When I was shopping I didn’t think AA/CP would be a game changer. Now that I have it, I realize it was.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
My buddy used to have a huge box truck for a delivery route. We screwed some wheel chocks to the floor and loaded bikes on the hydraulic lift gate. I remember one time this kid was walking his bike off a 1/2 ton while using his cooler as a step. Shit looked pretty sketchy. They make that Santa Cruz truck now too that is basically a Ridgeline. Those transit type vans are pretty good too.

Last edited: