GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squealing Throw Out Bearing

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
... is this a common problem for GTIs?

lol jk.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this? And does anyone know how I can make mine worse? I'm currently at 74,000 km (warranty expires at 80,000). Unfortunately I commute with my car, driving 1000 - 1400 km a week.

I've had the problem with my clutch since last year, but I never got around to bringing my car to the dealership in the winter (I only get the squeal on cold starts). I'm afraid I won't be able to last until the cold weather comes again, and I can't reproduce it for the dealership now. Anybody know what I can do? or is there some way I can make it worse so I could reproduce the noise even in warm weather?

If a TSB exists for it (I think I remember someone posting a number), is the dealership required to perform the fix even if I can't reproduce the problem on the spot?

OldDirty

Ready to race!
Have you tried engaging your e-brake and trying to start in first? People have reported that it tends to make noise under load, like starting on a hill.

michel

Ready to race!
I had the same issue; I took a video with my phone and reproduced it in my driveway (slight incline). I showed the service manager my video, and was asked to e-mail it to him, however they still insisted that a tech reproduces the noise.

I went out with a tech, he tried the handbrake thing - didn't work obviously because I had been driving the car to get to the dealer, so it was already warm. So I mentioned to him I had this video, he saw it and was like "oh yea, release bearing - warranty." lol. good luck wtih it man.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Have you tried engaging your e-brake and trying to start in first? People have reported that it tends to make noise under load, like starting on a hill.

This know, but it seems like it has to be a very specific amount of load. I've never been able to reproduce it with the handbrake, but there have been times if I'm pulling out/in of a parking spot at full lock it will do it. But I'm wondering if there is something that causes it to worsen so I can reproduce it easier.

I had the same issue; I took a video with my phone and reproduced it in my driveway (slight incline). I showed the service manager my video, and was asked to e-mail it to him, however they still insisted that a tech reproduces the noise.

I went out with a tech, he tried the handbrake thing - didn't work obviously because I had been driving the car to get to the dealer, so it was already warm. So I mentioned to him I had this video, he saw it and was like "oh yea, release bearing - warranty." lol. good luck wtih it man.

Which dealership do you use? I explained my situation to my service advisor a while back and asked to have the problem documented so I can demonstrate in the winter but he was not helpful at all, saying "oh you still have 10,000 km on your warranty, that lasts some people a year." I said it'd last me till September at best and he said oh well we get some pretty cold nights in september.

I said there are tons of videos on the Internet of this problem and it's very common. He said well I can go on the Internet too and find all sorts of videos of problems you dont have.

michel

Ready to race!
wow what a jerk; I go to Georgetown VW. I bought my car there as well, not sure if that makes a difference.

All you have to do is get a tech to confirm the noise. I forgot to mention, I went in twice for this problem. The first time the tech who saw it (showed him the vid too) said he couldn't duplicate it, and didn't care much for the video. The second time I tried was early on a saturday (it was a cold morning), and the tech I got that time couldn't duplicate it, but was a young guy, probably frequent on forums and stuff - so when I showed him the vid he confirmed it and didn't care to duplicate it. He went back inside and told the service guy he was able to reproduce it, although he did nothing lol. Really cool guy.

I would suggest you try and get a good video of the noise, either in your driveway or parking lot doing lock-lock launches, with evidence of time/date. For me you could clearly see my shoes, so I could easily prove it wasn't some other guys car. Also, try and go more than once and sit with a tech to duplicate it. If you explain the issue, I'm sure you'll eventually get one guy to just claim he heard the noise. Those guys get paid by job, regardless of warranty work.

Mine is a 2010 btw, and had 18,000 kms when this happened (back in May).