GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 with full bolt ons seems pretty point less

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Mk7 stage 1 > mk6 stage 2 > KO4 stage b7 is ko3.

I got beat by a MK7 in my stage 2 MK6 so I'm thinking about adding an extra KO3 or should I just upgrade to KO3S?

Some say Veyrons use second hand ko3's from the classifieds.

I've heard this before. They should put a KO3 in it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Get a IC and you will be kicking yourself in the ass for not doing it earlier
that

Right, I realize there's a lot of other factors to consider, but I'm speaking mainly of just the money vs. power overall. Seems like you'd save a whole lot by just going ko4 and forgetting about it lol.
k04 without supporting mods is dumb, only heard of a few people who have done that and was shaking my damn head.

so the best mods after the dp and cai would be a FMIC, TOP, and what else?
dogbone mount/summer tires

Plus you get that sweet hard rev limiter at 4K with APR :bellyroll:
can confirm, its fun.

while upgrading to K04 without supporting mod is inefficient, I would actually take that route if i were to do it again. I've spent way too much money for all the supporting mods to not go K04, and now I am just stuck in the middle. I would just get a cheap/used DP and K04 kit + install (total about 3500US?) and go from there. If I do want more power, I would then do the small upgrades one by one. CBE is useless btw, you might feel faster because of the sound, but at stage 2 its completely useless.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
IC is worth the "hassle" even on stock turbo. CBE is the only mod that is probably useless as far as HP/TQ gains on the stock turbo. A CBE falls into the "small mods" category, by that I mean mods like the TOP and TBP. While the gains are minimal individually, when you tie all these together (IC, TBP, TOP, CBE) it makes for a nice little bump, is it worth the money for the HP/TQ? Nope not really, but I wouldn't say they are worthless, if you're looking to make the absolute most out of your Stage 2 car then yes, I would say that it is indeed worth the "hassle" to fully bolt the car. Plus it's not just about the peak gains, it's about gains throughout the rev range and just how much smoother the power will be delivered overall. These will all benefit at KO4, doe.

IC was my 2nd upgrade, after getting stage1.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
while upgrading to K04 without supporting mod is inefficient, I would actually take that route if i were to do it again. I've spent way too much money for all the supporting mods to not go K04, and now I am just stuck in the middle. I would just get a cheap/used DP and K04 kit + install (total about 3500US?) and go from there. If I do want more power, I would then do the small upgrades one by one. CBE is useless btw, you might feel faster because of the sound, but at stage 2 its completely useless.

it's really only inefficient if you don't have an IC though isn't it? I mean besides having a DP and some sort of CAI or at least a better drop in. You obviously need to keep temps down but I cannot believe that with a ko4 and no upgraded IC that it still wouldn't make more power than a stage 2 of the same equivalent mods.

v.b

Ready to race!

good points. "being stuck in the middle" is exactly how i felt when I had stage 2 with an upgraded clutch and intercooler. its one thing to invest in a downpipe (no big deal really), its another to dump $1000-1500 on a clutch.

sometimes i wish i left it alone a stage 1. i have no clue what these people are talking about with "surging" - my stage 1 ran smooth as butter. No hassle with emissions testing either.

spending $1500 on a clutch to put down 245whp :'(

Last edited:
good points. "being stuck in the middle" is exactly how i felt when I had stage 2 with an upgraded clutch and intercooler. its one thing to invest in a downpipe (no big deal really), its another to dump $1000-1500 on a clutch.

sometimes i wish i left it alone a stage 1. i have no clue what these people are talking about with "surging" - my stage 1 ran smooth as butter. No hassle with emissions testing either.

spending $1500 on a clutch to put down 245whp :'(

agree on the stuck in the middle thing. I've got too much into the car right now that I would feel stupid having spent all of the money if I didn't go k04.

Exactly it. Spent 2k on the clutch + install, it would be insane not to go K04 at this point, but finanically (plus FWD) just doesn't make sense at this moment, hence, "stuck' in the middle.

it's really only inefficient if you don't have an IC though isn't it? I mean besides having a DP and some sort of CAI or at least a better drop in. You obviously need to keep temps down but I cannot believe that with a ko4 and no upgraded IC that it still wouldn't make more power than a stage 2 of the same equivalent mods.

I am in Canada so i cant really justify an IC for those 2 weeks of extreme heat. Even the tone down version of the K04 (no dp software) will make more power than the stage 2. My point is that with K04 you can really control where you want to stop and how far you want to take it. With the path to stage 2, you always want a bit more and before realizing it, you spent 3k of parts making less power than k04 alone and you are motivated to go k04. Mind you, if you are sure stage 2 will be enough then of course go with the stage 2 route and if you are sure that you need K04, then either path doesnt matter (k04 path will save on tune). But if you are unsure how much power you want, then starting will k04 is what I would recommend.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Exactly it. Spent 2k on the clutch + install, it would be insane not to go K04 at this point, but finanically (plus FWD) just doesn't make sense at this moment, hence, "stuck' in the middle.

Agree on the fwd, but with the dsg tunes that are out now, it really seems to ease a lot of the fwd issues, so that's not something that I worry to much about

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm also stuck in the middle. Stage 1 I had a slipping clutch, so I've got the clutch, IC (kinda, it's an S3) and intake on a stage 1 setup and a pieced apart k04 on my workbench. Going stage 2 first, then building up that turbo for k04.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I have an OE Evo VIII IC sitting in my room right now... I wish that sucker would fit... so much bigger than the other's I've seen... but I don't want to have to remove the crash beam or cut it, etc.