GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Wheel Vibrations/Car Shaking

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear. I found out that my AS/3's are cupped after only 9k miles and that's where my vibration is coming from. And yes, they were rotated - twice! Not sure what that's all about, but Discount Tire is getting me new tires free of charge. Wondering if I should go with the AS/3's again.

zrickety

The Fixer
Good to hear. I found out that my AS/3's are cupped after only 9k miles and that's where my vibration is coming from. And yes, they were rotated - twice! Not sure what that's all about, but Discount Tire is getting me new tires free of charge. Wondering if I should go with the AS/3's again.
How low are you?

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
How low are you?

Stock suspension.

A little history: My stock Pirellis cupped at around 28k miles. They were rotated at proper intervals as well. Then I bought new wheels and tires this past spring. Only until recently have I had a four wheel alignment and it's the only one I've ever had since the car was new. I'm not sure if an alignment issue caused cupping or if that's even possible. The tech at Discount Tire said that due to the camber on our vehicles that the tires tend to cup. I don't buy that and don't think VW would design a car that wrecks tires. Either way, alignment is to spec now.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I've had the same problem but on eibach pro springs. PO had it aligned twice at Firestone, I wonder if they just botched it. I am waiting to bring it in after new suspension, over 100k now.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Stock suspension.

A little history: My stock Pirellis cupped at around 28k miles. They were rotated at proper intervals as well. Then I bought new wheels and tires this past spring. Only until recently have I had a four wheel alignment and it's the only one I've ever had since the car was new. I'm not sure if an alignment issue caused cupping or if that's even possible. The tech at Discount Tire said that due to the camber on our vehicles that the tires tend to cup. I don't buy that and don't think VW would design a car that wrecks tires. Either way, alignment is to spec now.

The stock tires are garbage. As for Discount Tire "tech", they are not techs. They are tire installers, nothing more, nothing less. I had my previous tires (Nitto Motivo) installed there and they couldn't balance the tires on two tries. Blamed it on the fact that my car was lowered. Once I switched wheels (about a month later IIRC), the nearby tire shop had no issue balancing the tires.

postbox

And here I am 8 years later with a similar issue.

Wheels, tires, shocks, wheel bearings swapped, control arms, ball joints, CV axles, inner CV joints, tie rod ends, strut top mounts, alignment - you name it - but still shakes.

Have 034 top mounts and they are alright. Also have 034 dogbone mount and the original rubber bush in the subframe.
Also have solid rear (on the front) TT/RS rubber bushings. And wavetrac LSD.

I'm inclined to believe that my drive-train vibration might be a contributor here.
I might be having a failing fly-wheel.

For some reason it is more pronounced on the right wheel and has a vibration pattern, smth like trr-trr-trr-pause and again.

Gets worse with a slight steering angle. It is noticeable on straights, and non-existent when wheels are turned for more than a bit (at the same speed).

It's a pain to diagnose, but it's currently not that bad and subsides approximately below 75mph. Do want my perfect car back though. 😎

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
And here I am 8 years later with a similar issue.

Wheels, tires, shocks, wheel bearings swapped, control arms, ball joints, CV axles, inner CV joints, tie rod ends, strut top mounts, alignment - you name it - but still shakes.

Have 034 top mounts and they are alright. Also have 034 dogbone mount and the original rubber bush in the subframe.
Also have solid rear (on the front) TT/RS rubber bushings. And wavetrac LSD.

I'm inclined to believe that my drive-train vibration might be a contributor here.
I might be having a failing fly-wheel.

For some reason it is more pronounced on the right wheel and has a vibration pattern, smth like trr-trr-trr-pause and again.

Gets worse with a slight steering angle. It is noticeable on straights, and non-existent when wheels are turned for more than a bit (at the same speed).

It's a pain to diagnose, but it's currently not that bad and subsides approximately below 75mph. Do want my perfect car back though. 😎
Wheels and tires were my main issue. Which ones are you running and do you mean yours is worse over 75mp?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I know my control arms are probably close to shot, maybe even dogbone too. I also want to install new springs since mine were sitting on dead shocks/struts for who knows how long. Didn't think to replace them with the shocks/struts unfortunately. I still get like a jostle or bump in my steering column when I hit bumps on the road, but I can literally feel almost every inconsistency in the road anyway due to the shitty LCABs. I have a new set ready to go on, but every time I take a hard bump, something else starts to feel off. I get a weird sensation by the dead pedal now too. Almost like an inconsistent clunk.

This car literally develops a new issue every other week. Can barely keep up with it.