GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Step by Step Timing Chains & Tensioners Replacement for MK6 EA888 Gen 2 (EOS/CC/Jetta/Golf/Passat/Tiguan)

silveryhat

My apology in advance that I couldn't post the content directly in the post, it's a throughout guide with over 200 photos which exceeds the forum image embedding limit.

Here's the link Paul’s DIY Timing Chain Guide for 2.0T (Volkswagen MK6 EA888 Gen 2), but let's keep the discussion in this thread instead. So if you have any questions just ask below.

vw-mk6-eos-cc-jetta-golf-tsi-2-ea888-lower-timing-chain-tensioner-markings-lined-up.jpg

A little history

My wife 2012 EOS (MK6 2.0L Turbo) started leaking coolant during the winter months but I didn't notice until it was a bit too late. One day she was driving and the car stopped dead in the middle of the road. Turned out the water pump was leaking fluid which led to excessive heat buildup in the upper timing chain cover and oil started leaking out from the seal. I checked the timing chain tensioner when we first bought this car and it has the new revision, but because engine oil was low it looked like the tensioner could not keep up and dashboard threw a bunch of codes including P0016, P0341, misfire, crankshaft position error before it died out (just VW being VW, one broken thing led to another).

It was quite fortunate that I had sometimes on hands and decided to tackle the timing chain replacement by myself. I also took the opportunity to fully jot down everything about this nightmare of a repair and I hope it will help some of you guys in the future; note that this guide also applies to other Volkswagen models which use the EA888 Gen 2 platform, such as CC, Passat, Tiguan, Jetta and Beetle.

I spent a little over two weeks to gather all the information prior to the repair including which bolts are TTY stretch bolts, torque specs & sequences, part numbers, tricks and tools to reach small space as well as most efficient ways to set up the timing correctly. I hope you'll see that effort throughout the guide.

I also want to add an extra piece of advice that isn't in the article itself:

The older revision timing chain tensioner might be a ticking time bomb which we all already know, they didnt settle that lawsuit for no reason. However, there is another mini grenade that could cause the same catastrophic problem but often overlooked: a little oil screen from the cambridge.

ALL cambridges have this small oil screen filter that eventually will break off from its housing due to pressure. This little shit then travels around the upper timing chain compartment, eventually causing a clog to the shafts which leads to oil starvation and stretch chain -> skipping tooth -> bent valves / pistons meaning the engine literally kills itself. And it often starts with an intermittent low oil pressure warning every time you do a corner.

In my opinion, this is more likely the root cause of tensioner failure so if you are replacing the timing chain assembly, keep an eye out for this oil screen or do a preventive repair just in case --it's easy, just dig out that little oil screen and trash it, nobody needs it and no one is gonna miss it. There is a lot of horror stories about it cambridge oil screen mk6 - Google Search.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
This is excellent! Thanks for spending the time creating such thorough documentation on the process. One question for you though...your Block 093 doesn't seem to correlate with your tensioner extension. A positive number that high with no other symptoms makes me think your cam adjuster was not functioning properly instead of having actual stretch that far.

silveryhat

This is excellent! Thanks for spending the time creating such thorough documentation on the process. One question for you though...your Block 093 doesn't seem to correlate with your tensioner extension. A positive number that high with no other symptoms makes me think your cam adjuster was not functioning properly instead of having actual stretch that far.
Nice catch ;) I could have just replaced the n205 valve and the adjuster magnet but I went the extra miles just for the article.