GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sticky Hatch Door

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I started having problems with my hatch door today. I clicked on the key fob button to open the hatch door and it took three tries to get the latch to operate and open it when I pushed my fingers into the rear VW emblem. If I want to get the door to open properly, or at least get a chance that it will open properly, I have to push down hard on the key fob button a couple of times. Does this sound like an expensive repair?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I started having problems with my hatch door today. I clicked on the key fob button to open the hatch door and it took three tries to get the latch to operate and open it when I pushed my fingers into the rear VW emblem. If I want to get the door to open properly, or at least get a chance that it will open properly, I have to push down hard on the key fob button a couple of times. Does this sound like an expensive repair?

Do you have a second remote? I've read about the latch failing. Also, how's the condition of the hatch struts?

VW Steve

Ready to race!
My second remote doesn't work. The hatch struts look all right. The fob doesn't have a problem unlocking the passenger doors, but I just tried opening the hatch from the interior button, and it got a little stuck then, too.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

VW Steve

Ready to race!
Sorry, everyone, for getting back to you so late, but the problem has been fixed. A new mechanism in the hatch door was the problem, so I had it replaced - for nearly nine hundred dollars! It works better than the original one did before it broke! Glad that's over.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, everyone, for getting back to you so late, but the problem has been fixed. A new mechanism in the hatch door was the problem, so I had it replaced - for nearly nine hundred dollars! It works better than the original one did before it broke! Glad that's over.
You spent $900?! I replaced the latch for like $30, and 45 minutes.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Oh, wow, and holy moly........900 big ones.........for that little latch?? Musta gone to the stealership. Ok, after all it's YOUR money. But, OUCH.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
Oh, wow, and holy moly........900 big ones.........for that little latch?? Musta gone to the stealership. Ok, after all it's YOUR money. But, OUCH.
I had wanted to go to a local mechanic within walking distance of my house, but when i went there to get my car looked at, the mechanics were wearing no PPE - no face coverings, no gloves - and I did not want them working on my car when they wouldn't keep themselves protected in the middle of a pandemic.