GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Height, 255/35/18, 18x8.5 +42 - mk6 Golf R

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Wanting to see if this has been done and if the fender needs modification to do it, or it's impossible. Seems like it'll be close. Purpose will be track, but camber may be around stock. This would be for a mark 6 golf R. Seen a few threads on it, but couldn't really get a definitive answer. 3.7mm more inset, 21.7mm more poke (eek). Seems like some guys run 20mm spacers though, at the wider levels, so it may be close? Maybe not fully loaded for track purposes though

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
hmm looks like he's got aftermarket front fenders

Yeah, but.... I’m pretty sure he’s not at stock ride height. At stock height you can get away with a little more. I couldn’t tell you what width or offset wheel off the top of my head, but I know people have fit 245s pretty easily while running stock height.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, but.... I’m pretty sure he’s not at stock ride height. At stock height you can get away with a little more. I couldn’t tell you what width or offset wheel off the top of my head, but I know people have fit 245s pretty easily while running stock height.
true, though also probably not as poked out as on 18x8.5 +45s. guess we'll have to try it and see

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Is there a specific tire you're wanting to run in that size? Keep in mind they all vary slightly by manufacturer(You can find all the actual dimensions online). If you're looking at a dedicated track tire, the tire itself will be a lot more important than the extra 10mm. Check the gallery on something like fitment industries also... they show suspension setup, stance, rubbing etc.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
it's tough to tell cuz a lot of the builds are lowered too, which makes clearance tougher.

i'm prob htinking rs4s in 255/35-18. 245 is tricky cuz there's nothing shorter than the stock 225/40-18 until u get to 255

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
How about a R88R or Sport Cup2... Or stock size hoosier/toyo rr/bfgoodrich. Or maybe a super sport.

I drove with some hoosiers on my old C6 zo6. I wanted traction but not quite a DR stickiness. They worked a lot better than the pilot sport run flats... Eventually went to a Nitto DR which the clutch didn't like at all.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I ran the measurements through WTF and came up with the same measurements.

You'll poke, but it won't be too bad. Better news is that you *may not* rub since you're at stock height! Your Rim's width and offset will probably be the factors that save you from rolling/pulling the fenders for a 255 tire.

To be sure, I'd measure myself if I were you.... Nothing worse than buying a wheel setup and it not fitting properly when you throw it on. Especially for track usage.

Last edited:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I ran the measurements through WTF and came up with the same measurements.

You'll poke, but it won't be too bad. Better news is that you *may not* rub since you're at stock height! Your Rim's width and offset will probably be the factors that save you from rolling/pulling the fenders for a 255 tire.

To be sure, I'd measure myself if I were you.... Nothing worse than buying a wheel setup and it not fitting properly when you throw it on. Especially for track usage.
agreed. hoping using some camber plates will help as well

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Have you considered going with a 235? A 235 is a perfect match for an 8.5" wide wheel. A 255 pinched on the same width will probably not give you much extra performance, if any.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Have you considered going with a 235? A 235 is a perfect match for an 8.5" wide wheel. A 255 pinched on the same width will probably not give you much extra performance, if any.
i have - there's nothing where the heights really work unfortunately

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
not stock height but, 4 door GTI with 25.25" fender to gap front and 25.5 rear. front toe 1/32" in, front camber -1.1 left -.9 right, or all it got from lowering. rear is -2.3 both sides 0 toe. its more rear camber than i would really like. I have 18x8.5" et 45 rse122's with 255/35/18 ps4's. i had to roll the fenders in the front, and trim the fender liners out by the wheel arches a little. the rear is the real problem though. there is a bracket that attaches the rear bumper to the body. i had to trim/ gring that down a bit. and still with son and dogs in the back and a full load of fuel the sidewall can occasionally rub the rear arches/fender liner. looks like its more where the furry rear fender liner meet the body, but you can hear it. i would guess at stock height you would be good.
as far as the 255 being pinched (just a bit) the 2000's RS4 came from the factory on 8.5" with 255's.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
not stock height but, 4 door GTI with 25.25" fender to gap front and 25.5 rear. front toe 1/32" in, front camber -1.1 left -.9 right, or all it got from lowering. rear is -2.3 both sides 0 toe. its more rear camber than i would really like. I have 18x8.5" et 45 rse122's with 255/35/18 ps4's. i had to roll the fenders in the front, and trim the fender liners out by the wheel arches a little. the rear is the real problem though. there is a bracket that attaches the rear bumper to the body. i had to trim/ gring that down a bit. and still with son and dogs in the back and a full load of fuel the sidewall can occasionally rub the rear arches/fender liner. looks like its more where the furry rear fender liner meet the body, but you can hear it. i would guess at stock height you would be good.
as far as the 255 being pinched (just a bit) the 2000's RS4 came from the factory on 8.5" with 255's.

yea i'm not too worried about pinching, i've got 275s on a 9" wheel in the m3 lol

how much lower are you than stock? i think the R's are a touch lower, but front i should still have more clearance with additional camber. interesting note on the rear, i'll have to take a look when the time comes. i'm sure it will be fine