GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Straight forward DIY Winter Wheel Painting

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Last year I was lucky enough to score a killer deal on 4 steelies with winter tires still having about 75% life remaining. Only paid around $200 for these just before the first snowfall last year.

They were in mediocre shape last season, so I ran them as they came. I knew when I pulled them out from storage this year they would require a new coat of paint to stop any rust and keep them looking alright on the car.

Here are some pics of what they looked like when I pulled them out of storage:
20201027_143454 - Copy.jpg

20201027_143505 - Copy.jpg

Here is a pic of the supplies I used; some of this I had laying around already, but all of it can be found at any Home Depot.

20201030_165033 - Copy.jpg

Overall, the steps I performed are as follows:

I let the CitriStrip sit on the surface of the face/barrel of the wheels for between 30-60 minutes, and then followed up by scrubbing with a coarse 3m scuff pad
After rinsng off the stripping gel, this is what I was left with
I then hit the wheels with the wire-wheels and 60 grit sand paper to get the flaky paint off and attack any rust to ensure none of the areas are too bad to paint over. I was not going for perfection, but do hope to get a few years out of this paint job before any touch ups are needed. I ended up scuffing lots more paint off with the 60grit sand paper after this pic was taken.
20201027_151012 - Copy.jpg

For the last steps before paint, I gave the wheels 2 thorough washes with a de-greaser hitting the inside and out as well as tires to ensure everything was totally clean. After this, a wipe-down with Paint Stripper just to get every last bit of dust & loose paint off.
20201028_090523 - Copy.jpg

Finally comes the fun part.
Anyone who has not ever painted before may not know this, but 75% of the work is preparation. Spraying the paint is easy, and for the most part spray-paint is pretty dummy proof these days.
As long as the surface is prepared, the odds of things going wrong are greatly reduced.
I always do 1 light coat that barely has any coverage, after 2-3 minutes I'll go in with a much heavier coat and look to get nearly full coverage, after another ~2.5 mins or so I'll go back and fill in any areas that looked like low-spots. I did that for both the primer + color coats. After the last color coat, I waited another 3-5 minutes before the first full-coverage clear-coat, and another 2 minutes before a last light coat of clear. No need to rush and get complete coverage with any one coat as thats how you get runs in the paint.
Additionally, I was painting in the cold, so I had the extra steps of needing to warm the rim up with a heater before applying paint.

From here I hit the inside & out of all wheels with a good 3 coats of primer to ensure I had good coverage.

20201028_163108 - Copy.jpg

Once the primer dried, I used a very light 3m scuff pad to just level things out and get the surface ready for the actual paint + clear coat.

After a bit of dry time, here are the results:
20201031_155109 - Copy.jpg

20201031_155307 - Copy.jpg

Not sure when I plan on putting them on the car, but I know just ~70 miles away they got the first light snow of the season the other day; so figured it was time to get moving on these and ensure they are cured and ready to be mounted by first snow-fall near me.

I will be sure to follow up with a pic of them on the car once they are on. I'll also get a before + after pic to compare the new gloss black vs the old flat black stuff that was on there last year.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Wow....bravo... that is very impressive. Wheels look brand new. I just painted mine and no way in hell did i do that kind of prep and certainly not in the mood.
Your wheels look great. Great write up and thanks for posting the products that you used. One Q....did you put tire treatment on prior to painting? A buddy of mine says he did to lessen the chance of over spray sticking to the tires.
Also what did you mask off?

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Wow....bravo... that is very impressive. Wheels look brand new. I just painted mine and no way in hell did i do that kind of prep and certainly not in the mood.
Your wheels look great. Great write up and thanks for posting the products that you used. One Q....did you put tire treatment on prior to painting? A buddy of mine says he did to lessen the chance of over spray sticking to the tires.
Also what did you mask off?

Lolol, thanks for asking.. I did experiment with that as I have a few tire shines I keep around and rotate so had some to spare.

Terrible idea, I was able to get the over-spray off with quick wipe of paint-thinner, but its just such a barbaric way to do it. Also, I was then wiping off the paint off the outer lip of the rim with my paint-thinner rag unless I was super careful and its just not worth the materials (dirty rags + wasted paint thinner) and time/effort.

You can clearly see in this pic the outer edge of the tire still has shine on it from me wiping the overspray on the inner-part off before the pic.
20201028_125858 - Copy.jpg

After that I tried cutting some of the plastic sheeting I had and tried taping that; also a terrible idea. So much effort and I can't imagine the patience and steady hands needed to get it perfect.
20201028_125902 - Copy.jpg

But I found almost all the overspray was only on the first 1.5 inches or so, didn't really go that far out of the way once I got the hang of the spray patterns. Ultimately it just ended up being so much easier/neater to simply tape the outer edges. Better than index/playing cards because then you can move the wheels around and paint the next one while one dries. No noticeable overspray this way, and if there was any it would only be a quick wipe with paint thinner and i'd be gone.

20201030_143012 - Copy.jpg

As for what I used to mask off, blue 3m tape is pretty standard stuff at most hardware stores. Here is the part number for the one I used; but almost any blue 3m tape is painters tape. Found in any painters section.
Also found in any paint section is plastic drop cloth - measured by thickness which affects durability.

Appreciate the props; I always try to give back to the forums when I can. I know there's a lot of people hesitant to do something like this, but its so easy.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Awesome write up and photos. I always try to explain the paint process to folks, I work in the collision repair industry and for instance you can always tell the new insurance appraiser when they try to get you to cut the book paint time in half because the damage is only on half the panel. I'm like "Dude, it pays 3 hours to paint a hood........do you REALLY think my painter is standing there for 3 HOURS holding a spray gun spraying out color? Painting it like 15% of the job. LOL

Suggestion for the tape, turn it around. Instead of taping down to the tire and trying to 'bend' straight tape to a curve on the edge, tape the sticky side to the rim vertically. Hard to explain, but you stick the edge of the tape into the groove between rim bead and tire so the tape is sticking up between the tire and bead. Then use another strip of tape to tape the plastic drop cloth with a hole cut out to the outside of the tape. You will leave a thin section of rim without paint but it is easier. Easier still if you deflate the tire first, then you can pretty much ignore tape and just slide the drop cloth between the tire and wheel.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Tbh I steel brushed mine, brake cleaner, some cue cards and then Tremclad paint. Doesn't look as pretty up close but from 3 feet away... does the job. Didn't gaf about the inside of the rim... But don't expect it to last more than 2 seasons with the job I did. However I was done in under an hour.

Meh

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to mounting these onto the car. I think they came out amazing compared to what they looked like last year.

Here is what they looked like after sitting for a while post-paint.

Wheel13 - Copy.jpg

Wheel41 - Copy.jpg

Wheel52 - Copy.jpg

Here is what they looked like on the car last year before painting:

WinterLst - Copy.png

And here is what they look like on the car now, I was also able to snag the Lug Bolt/Front Axle bolt covers to keep everything looking nice and keep my front axle bolt from rusting (which you can already see in the above pic from last year) (please excuse my photoshop - had some fun just killing time and playing around lol)

WinterWheels2.png

WinterWheels.png

Always tough to take pics of black wheels and show the detail. I will get around to taking a pic with a DSLR eventually, but for now that mostly concludes this thread unless anyone has questions :)

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
looks good. I did the same thing to my detroits over the summer but didnt turn out quite as nice. better than they were. until I curbed one last weekend haha..