GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Stage 2 MK6 GTI vs SneekyTuned Stage 2 MK6 GTI

joevw22

Ready to race!
Hey... I am the Stratified MK6 GTI owner, check my build thread for my mods. The GTI I went up against has the same bolt-ons as I do, the only thing different, he doesn't have upgraded motor mounts. I know the guy, so we pull up and talk for a while, then we hop on the road. We line up and do some rolls from 20/40/60 and one pull from a line, I kid you not... I was gapped so hard on all the pulls :cry: it would be close for a second and as soon as we shifted gears he'd start pulling harder than ever. Going to have to find out what the hell's wrong, then I'm coming back 😤

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Did you have traction control off?

Maybe he left out he is Stage 2 K04 :)

torga

Autocross Champion
You both have same tires? You both have same clutch (or at least, both stage 2 clutches)?

torga

Autocross Champion
Not the same tires... a point I completely forgot abt (mine are pretty shit rn.) I have a stock clutch, I'm not 100% sure abt him.
Shit tires and a slipping stock clutch at stage 2 power will certainly put you behind a car with identical mods, but good tires and a clutch that can handle the power.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Stock clutch at stage 2!!!!! Yeah that clutch is not grabbing like it should and crap tires are not helping in the slightest.

Get a clutch and better tires. You can do some logging to make sure everything is operating properly also.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Power is nothing without application.
I would be willing to bet your clutch is slipping. I dont know how you couldn't notice that however. When you shift into 4th and roll on the throttle do you notice the revs going up that isnt on par with the acceleration of the car?
When I first went stage 2 my clutch literally started slipping right out of the tuners.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah that's how mine was. The night I went stage 2 I did a test pull and it slipped. Could never lay all the power down without it slipping and my clutch had less then 50k miles on it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah that's how mine was. The night I went stage 2 I did a test pull and it slipped. Could never lay all the power down without it slipping and my clutch had less then 50k miles on it.
Same, that's how mine was as well. Still breaking in my clutch (200mi in), so I haven't really given it full beans, only half baked beans. But I did have to start on a pretty steep hill (downtown Seattle near the waterfront is just as bad as some San Francisco hills) with some damp road and I fully spun the tires a bit, instead of the weird half-and-half wheel/clutch slip that I used to get. So I think it'll all be good.

joevw22

Ready to race!
Power is nothing without application.
I would be willing to bet your clutch is slipping. I dont know how you couldn't notice that however. When you shift into 4th and roll on the throttle do you notice the revs going up that isnt on par with the acceleration of the car?
When I first went stage 2 my clutch literally started slipping right out of the tuners.
's how mine was as well. Still breaking in my clutch (200mi in), so I haven't really given it full beans, only half baked beans. But I did have to start on a pretty steep hill (downtown Seattle near the waterfront is just as bad as some San Francisco hills) with some damp road and I fully spun the tires a bit, instead of the weird

I definitely slip, I don't have the money right now for an upgraded clutch. Any recommendations though for brand? I plan on doing it ASAP

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I definitely slip, I don't have the money right now for an upgraded clutch. Any recommendations though for brand? I plan on doing it ASAP

DIY RSR (hit up the Google)

/end

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
DIY RSR (hit up the Google)

/end
If you want to keep OEM feel and not add vibration & harshness I agree this is 100% the move. I have had mine for 50k miles and I love it. It was so good that I installed one on my dad's MK7 when he started tuning it.

If you're not into piecing it together yourself (it can be intimidating) purchase from the company that pioneered this clutch for our platform: HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit. I'm sure it will be on sale for black friday, maybe labor day too. Email them and I'm sure they will work something out with you. I didn't purchase my clutch from them but I have interacted with them before and they're a great company.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
ECS just released a stage 2 clutch, have yet to see any feedback on it but its on sale for $600 w/ flywheel.
I was going to give the ECS clutch kit a try when my stock clutch finally gives up. I’m sure plenty here would call me crazy, but at $600 it’s worth a try. I won‘t go anywhere close to challenging it’s ability to hold power so all it has to do is last.