GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stretched 101

flamuru

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, for all of you who are familiar with "stretched tires".... i am somewhat less informed.. i am planning on running 19x8.5" 5x112 - ET45, in the FRONT/// and 19x9.5" 5x112 - ET48 in the REAR..... i want some poke in the rear and half of that in the front , what size tire should i use on the front and what size in the rear ? Can anyone answer this question ?

zee

Go Kart Champion
9.5" ET48 on a 19" wheel will be a difficult fitment in my opinion if you plan to go low. 18" or 17" would be easier.

<thread moved to wheel and tire sub-forum>

SnowBall GTI

Ready to race!

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I am some what experienced with stretched tires so I'll comment.

I wouldn't run that extreme stretch on 19"s. Heres my reason why.

To keep the overall diameter close to stock, you have to run a 35 series tire. The problem with that is, stretching a 215/35/19 onto a 9.5" wide wheel, leaves you very very little sidewall, Thus leaving very little between your wheel and pavement. Its a bent wheel waiting. That's very cool, if you are doing it for a show, or don't daily drive on those wheels etc. So my advice to you for stretching tires on 19's, is not to go too far. a 225/35/19 will be a much more daily usable and back friendly on that 9.5". I Probably would run a 215/35/19 on the front since its not too much of a stretch. Also, stay away from Toyo Proxy4's. Their sidewalls are really really soft. I, as well as other s I've talked to, have run into chewed up beads/inner sidewall once their toast and dismounted.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion

To keep the overall diameter close to stock, you have to run a 35 series tire. The problem with that is, stretching a 215/35/19 onto a 9.5" wide wheel, leaves you very very little sidewall, Thus leaving very little between your wheel and pavement. Its a bent wheel waiting. That's very cool, if you are doing it for a show, or don't daily drive on those wheels etc. So my advice to you for stretching tires on 19's, is not to go too far. a 225/35/19 will be a much more daily usable and back friendly on that 9.5". I Probably would run a 215/35/19 on the front since its not too much of a stretch. Also, stay away from Toyo Proxy4's. Their sidewalls are really really soft. I, as well as other s I've talked to, have run into chewed up beads/inner sidewall once their toast and dismounted.
Hankook Ventus V12s also have a soft sidewall from my experience. They are a great tire for the money but they might be susceptible to bubbling also.

UnitedGTI1

Ready to race!

daily driving my 19x8.5/9.5 et 35 on 215-35s all day long. 4 different sets of wheeels and tires now with same set up. NEVER had a single problem, i drive like a jackass and too fast for being as low as i am sometimes as well. hit plenty of things in the road and never had a problem. only time i have ever had a bead pop off a wheel was on a set of works where the sealant popped on the inside and leaked out while driving and it popped off the outer bead but that was on 18.9 with a 215.

UnitedGTI1

Ready to race!
and the car will be aired out soon and they will fit perfectly.

ross liew

Ready to race!
Is it ok to fit a 215/40 tire over an 18" x 8 ET45 wheel?

Am trying to use this method to eliminate rubbing in the front especially. Lowered 30mm on Eibach springs with Koni yellows. Currently running 225/40 and it rubs on dips and hard corners :(

ross liew

Ready to race!
Surprising but yes, especially over pronounced dips and hard corners. I want to maintain some semblance of comfort in the ride hence did not stiffen the dampers past half. Will a smaller width tire help?

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Do the fender screw mod before you get into changing tire sizes or anything else.

I have to tell you though, even with the damping being soft, I am still surprised. I have my coilovers lower than your cup kit setup and I don't rub...

I had mine even lower at the beginning with everything set to full soft but never scraped. Maybe your dampers have a ton of travel???