GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof issues

flight1us

Ready to race!
I've seen the few threads from 8 - 10 years ago but has anyone recently had issues with their sunroof not wanting to close. I know about the pinch sensor but not sure where it is located, is it something that can be accessed with the headliner removed any help is greatly appreciated.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
When I first got my car the sunroof would not close properly. If you pull the knob downward and forward while it is closing it will override the pinch protection and should close. The actual fix for mine was lubrication. I opened the sunroof, cleaned out all the old gunky grease, and using a small paint brush applied a liberal amount of new grease. After operating the sunroof open and closed about a dozen times it now works fine.
If I were you, I'd start with the clean and lube before messing around with sensors.

virtualbong

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm having the same issue I had last year with my sunroof where it would get to 80% close but then stop and open again. I cleaned the rails and luckily it closed. I was too scared to open the sunroof during this past winter so I waited until this spring to try it again and it was working up until yesterday. I am going to clean everything and grease it to see if it'll work again.

Last edited:

flight1us

Ready to race!

I'm having the same issue I had last year with my sunroof where it would get to 80% close but then stop and open again. I cleaned the rails and luckily it closed. I was too scared to open the sunroof during this past winter so I waited until this spring to try it again and it was working up until yesterday. I am going to clean everything and grease it to see if it'll work again.
Di you ever get the sunroof working, im also gonna try it out myself cars has been under car cover for weeks. ....

virtualbong

Passed Driver's Ed
Di you ever get the sunroof working, im also gonna try it out myself cars has been under car cover for weeks. ....
Yes, I actually found a little plastic piece that somehow got in the rails and was causing the sunroof not to close. I did take the time to clean the rails and also grease it. Working perfectly now.