GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro ALK Fixes Whiteline Breaking Problem?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered SuperPro anti lift kit and looking at pictures of Superpro kit it looks like the insert that is prone to cracking on Whitelines kit is aluminum or maybe its just an aluminum sleeve on Superpros? Can anybody with them or the LCAs confirm that? The SP was $50 more but its better then wasting the cash on WL for them to just crumble to pieces.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered SuperPro anti lift kit and looking at pictures of Superpro kit it looks like the insert that is prone to cracking on Whitelines kit is aluminum or maybe its just an aluminum sleeve on Superpros? Can anybody with them or the LCAs confirm that? The SP was $50 more but its better then wasting the cash on WL for them to just crumble to pieces.

Aluminum sleeve at the front mount on the LCAs. The ALK part doesn't have a sleeve, but supposedly much better poly material.

The difference is mounting style in that you can pull the ALK right out of the LCA in the Superpro LCA configuration, but the stocker arm wouldn't separate easily.

Do yourself a favor and cancel that order and pony up the extra $200 and get the whole LCA kit. Way easier install and you get the front poly bushing with aluminum sleeved center too. Not to mention the LCAs!

Noize

Go Kart Champion
See here

http://uspmotorsports.com/Super-Pro-Control-Arm-Lower-Rear-Arm-Bracket.html

Vs.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Bushings/ES514162/

Im talking about the hex bushing that goes on the nipple of the LCA it appears the SP has an aluminum sleeve on it and if so it would prevent it from crumbling apart

Im not interested in the alloy LCA if I had an MK5 I would definetly get it but not really worth it on MK6

AH!!! Super interesting. The LCAs don't come with the little insert due to the fact the control arm ends are a lot wider and just go through the poly without them.

It's worth a shot, IMO, but I have no data on those little inserts.

A_Bowers

From what I have gathered, the failures of the Whiteline kit are due to high stress situations, predominantly from a racetrack environment. steelcurtain had an issue with his, and other that track their car regularly have had the same issue.

For a street car, i dont see an issue as they will usually never see loads quite as high as a tracked vehicle.

I say that hoping i dont have an issue with mine. I would rather not have to do that job again.

SuperPro Store

Edited 4/28

We were pushing the limits of the vendor/sponsor regulations with our post, the info from the original has been quoted below.

Apologies for the error and to those who pay for the privilege, we look forward to returning as a vendor very shortly.

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
You posted this in another thread as well, and it is inaccurate. The complete control arm assembly simply comes with the inner portion of the bushing already installed on the arm. Take a closer look:

It certainly wasnt my intention to mislead anyone, and I apologize that my not understanding the product was preassembled caused confusion. If you show me where I said that in another thread, I'll happily correct it.

I'm new to Volkswagen, and had never seen Passat LCAs before opening my SuperPro kit. I didn't know what I was looking at before assembly.

The fact is I'm extremely pleased with this product, and feel it is far and away the best handling mod I've added to my Golf thus far.

While you're here, perhaps you can answer a couple questions for me and make a sale. :)

Regarding the ball joints, is the install also easy? Doing the LCAs, I feel like I was almost there other than one nut on each side. I also read a post that said these were prone to slipping, causing the car to lose alignment. Is thus accurate, or can I set it and forget it? I'd really like a balanced negative camber close to -2 degrees on each side up front. If this will achieve that reliably and not be a bear to install, I'd be game to try some.

Thank you for your time and informative post!

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Noize,

98% of what you feel from installing the arms is from the ALK the stock gti rear position bushing as I'm sure you saw is full of voids

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Wow! Great info!!

Ya forgot one thing though. A link to your store!

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!

bRett 32

Ready to race!
Quoted for the info.

Hi all,

I think we can maybe help clarify this a bit, both the different options SuperPro offers and how they compare to the Whiteline offerings.

SuperPro offers what could be considered 3 levels of variations of the same series of part - or 3 budget tiers to the same outcome if you want to think about it that way.

Option #1 is SPF3273K - or the stiffer SPF3273-80K flavor of the same piece. This option requires you to reuse the OE mount at the rear of the front lower control arm. You must remove your control arm assembly, then remove the mount assembly at the rear of the arm from the arm itself, press the OE rubber mount out, and press the SuperPro bushing in.

These bushings do not include an index mark (some other SuperPro options do) to 'clock' the bushing and make aligning it a bit easier when pressing it in - but it would take you about 10 seconds and a sharpie to make a couple of quick marks on the housing and bushing to help get everything put in properly.

If you've got the tools to do this yourself it is the most cost-effective option, if you are paying for labor - you'll want Option #2. Please note - the metal 'shell' for the inner portion of this 2-piece bushing assembly is not included in this version - only in the two options outlined below

Option #2 is part number ALOY3273K-80K. This version includes the mount itself with the bushing already indexed and installed for you - simply pull the OE mounts loose from the lower control arm, lubricate the bushing assembly, install them and align the car. As mentioned above in the thread this is less expensive than the complete arm assembly, especially for those with the lighter MK6 control arms - or those that already have Passat or TT arms on the car.

Option #3 is the ALOY0001K - this is the complete aluminum lower control arm and anti-lift/caster kit with SuperPro bushings installed in the front position as well. (Available separately as part number SPF3346K for those using options 1 or 2 above).

This is the quickest/easiest install of the bunch, but also the priciest. The weight reduction is greater for MKV owners than for those with a MKVI but in both cases these are lighter than the stock arms they replace.

There is of course Option #3A That would entail adding SuperPro's Roll-Center correcting adjustable ball joint kit to the control arms. Not only does this help raise the roll center back up to the correct height on reasonably lowered cars, you also get the benefit of camber adjustment without having to resort to camber plates and the NVH that comes with them.

You posted this in another thread as well, and it is inaccurate. The complete control arm assembly simply comes with the inner portion of the bushing already installed on the arm. Take a closer look:

What makes the SuperPro and Whiteline versions of these parts different?

I would say this is largely accurate - like any other part on your car - harder use leads to a shorter life but some designs hold up to abuse better than others.

That said there are some design differences detailed below.

We actually sell both brands (albeit under different store names) and have been a Whiteline dealer for about 4 years.

In terms of design - Whiteline generates their alignment change in the housing, making their own that holds the bushing lower but keeps the end of the control arm mounted in the center of the bushing. SuperPro offsets the mounting hole in the bushing.

Regarding the insert - SuperPro's options use two different inner bushings. The SPF3273K variations use an all polyurethane inner bushing with radial grease retention grooves. The ALOY3273-80K, and the complete arm assembly utilize a polyurethane inner bushing with a metal shell around it.

Whiteline uses an all polyurethane inner bushing with longitudinal grease retention grooves. The do not make a more robust option.

Being an authorized dealer for both brands means we are also a warranty center.

Please keep in mind that we have been a Whiteline dealer for about 4 years and a SuperPro dealer for about 6 months - so this may not be the most accurate picture of what happens long term - I can only tell you what we've seen so far.

Both brands offer a lifetime warranty on their polyurethane products. Whiteline calls theirs 'synthetic elastomer' because they think North America's performance aftermarket has given polyurethane a bad reputation but it's all poly.

We have had to warranty a number of Whiteline kits - almost all of them because of the thin inner bushing failing or splitting. Most have been on cars that have seen track duty, but not all of them. We have yet to warranty any SuperPro product - but again, 6 months vs. 4 years - an apples to apples comparison is 3 and a half years away. That said, SuperPro seems to have handled the construction of the inner bushing better in both options.

The longitudinal grease retention grooves in the Whiteline piece make the polyurethane very thin where it takes the load of the control arm - and when we pull the failed pieces apart the damage seems to being along those grooves. SuperPro also uses grease retention grooves but their's run around the bushing like rings on the SPF3273K which seems to handle the load better. The metal-cased version of the inner bushing features not only solid poly without grease retention grooves for uniform thickness - but also the reinforcement of the metal shell itself which should make it the most robust option going.

The polyurethane itself is also formulated differently between the brands. Obviously neither shares their recipe, but from what we've seen the SuperPro pieces have a nicer fit and finish as they are actually machined rather than just purely cast in a mold resulting in a more precise fit - that is largely subjective and fairly difficult to photograph - but worth noting.

Sorry for the long post, but there have been a number of questions and a fair amount of discussion comparing the above options lately and we wanted to try to put all the info in one place.