GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Supertech Springs and Retainers - Rocker Arm Fit?

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2013 CC CBFA with a K04 and IE K04 file. The car has weak valve springs confirmed by a visual inspection of exhaust springs and datalog showing MAF g/s decrease and boost increase at 6,000 RPM (unusual compared to normal logs - I can post if anyone's interested).

I ordered Supertech SPRK-A2416-N2 for my TSI and am hearing mixed things on fitment with newer style rocker arms.
Some folks said they have to grind the rocker arm tabs on the new style, or switch to the "older" style (pre-2012). I asked Supertech directly about this and they said this issue was resolved with a design change on the N2 version of the springs....but a guy in the MK6 Big Turbo FB group posted about having issues with valvetrain noise after installing these springs and thinks it's the rocker issue.

Should I play it safe and try to secure the earlier style rocker arms, or listen to Supertech engineering and install them as-is?

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
IE has a similar issue with their spring/retainer kit. I didn't know this until i was reading a warning note in the box during installation. They recommended at least .020 clearance which is super small in my opinion. Once installed they weren't even close to that. Not really sure what versions of rockers I have since it ended up working.

Did the Mk6 big turbo thread guy modify his arms or let it ride? Any links to vids on the sound he's hearing?

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
If you're going to boost, pick up aftermarket springs, retainers and exhaust guides since you'll be in there anyways. You can search on s2ki and get a feel for what people are using. I've got Supertech dual springs, retainers, as well as bronze exhaust guides. If you're replacing those already, might as well pull the head and throw on a new head gasket and studs Kodi nox as well.
Thanks for the reply! Currently the car will not go beyond a genuine BW K04-064. The car has 30k original miles on it and my intent was to install just springs to cure the valve float, which is why I'm keeping the head on the block.