GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switching Jobs

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
A little back story...I went to college away from home and had an internship which rolled into a job. I was 1 of 2 interns in a pilot program at a large company so I couldn't turn it down...I was very fortunate to have a job straight out of college which payed well for a BS graduate but it came at a cost...I live alone, in an economically depressing town where I can't relate to anyone, and my family/friends/girlfriend are all back home. I've been with the company for almost 3 years and full-time for just over 2 years....I'm growing tired of this situation and I'm starting to think the job / job security isn't worth it anymore.

My question to others here...

Have you been in a situation where you had job security and jumped ship?

Was the grass greener on the other side?

Any advice on non-obvious things to take into consideration when deciding to switch jobs?

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Don't relate to any of this, but sounds harsh man. At least you got some experience out of it. since its a large company, it could help with jumping ships. Look into other companies around your home town. Hopefully you can, and be much happier.

Goodluck man. :thumbsup:

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Now that you have some experience it's probably much easier to find a job where you want to live. Shop for a job where you want to live and wait it out a bit. I've jumped ship with job security before, the grass was greener at first. Everywhere has its positives and negatives but I think it's important to be happy outside of working hours.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Don't relate to any of this, but sounds harsh man. At least you got some experience out of it. since its a large company, it could help with jumping ships. Look into other companies around your home town. Hopefully you can, and be much happier.

Goodluck man. :thumbsup:

Yea that's pretty much the only reason I am there and thanks dude

Now that you have some experience it's probably much easier to find a job where you want to live. Shop for a job where you want to live and wait it out a bit. I've jumped ship with job security before, the grass was greener at first. Everywhere has its positives and negatives but I think it's important to be happy outside of working hours.

The one thing I realized was that there is more to life outside of work...I thought I would be able to do 3 years of full-time...but I've hit a brick wall. It's tough seeing friends/family/girlfriend every 2 or 3 weeks for only 2 days.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Don't let them find out your golfmk6 handle. That's number one.:laugh:

Don't quit until you have another job.

How far away are you from home anyway?

I have bills and it's easier to get a job when you still have one, so I will never quit a job unless I have another one lined up. As for them finding out my golfmk6 handle...my manager actually knows where I stand but because of big corporate issues, I am not allowed to work from home and I produce too much for them to cut me loose.

I find working for small-med sized businesses much more enjoyable than my previous work at Fortune 500s.

That is what I keep hearing...I receive joy being recognized for my work and right now, I am just an employee ID# that produces a lot. Where I am now...it's like, "out department did well but the company as a whole missed earnings target...so everyone gets the shaft"

WAP

Go Kart Champion

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
The one thing I realized was that there is more to life outside of work...I thought I would be able to do 3 years of full-time...but I've hit a brick wall. It's tough seeing friends/family/girlfriend every 2 or 3 weeks for only 2 days.

Been there and I know what you mean. I worked a remote field position for two and half years. 9 days on, 5 days off, even with 5 days off you spend the 9 wishing you were at home. It was totally worth it for my career but the sacrifice was fairly substantial.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
No reason to stay if you're unhappy. Time to jump ship and find something closer to the people you want to spend time with.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I graduated with a BS in '11 so it sounds like we're about the same age/position. I'm on my third job since college now, spent about 16 months each at the first two. Take what you've learned and run to a situation that will make you happier or benefit you in the long run! I don't think quitting after three years will look bad or pose any real problems, just take your time finding a new job where you can maintain or improve your quality of life and you'll enjoy the work.

Good luck!

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Don't "burn any bridges" on your way out. Grass may be greener; or you may find out it isn't.

Just be honest with them; learned a lot, great experience for you and glad you could help the company, just looking to get closer to home now as you miss friends/family, etc.

Believe it or not even large companies are generally pretty easy to work with on departures when you are up front about reasons (and they aren't hits against the company).

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
There's nothing wrong with "jumping ship" and looking for something better for yourself that will make you happier and put you in a better position for the future. I'm in the same boat though, after being made some promises at my current job that never materialized and things like that. I've been looking for awhile now though and haven't found anything worthwhile to make me leave though. Just keep looking and try to stay positive until you can walk away. Also, don't burn any bridges if you can help it, you never know when you may need a recommendation or something like that.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I can't exactly relate to your situation but here was what happened with mine.

A guy in my fraternity and fellow engineer major met my old boss in an airport randomly while sharing stories with each other. Through the grapevine, I got the manager's number and it was an engineering consulting firm blah blah blah, got hired after an interview. On paper, it seemed great; I scored a job easily right out of college and could cruise by senior year. And it was good for approximately 1 month. By the end of that month, I could already see all the short comings of working in a small mom-pop company and worse yet, the amount of gossip that went on was absolutely insufferable. I felt completely isolated and hated basically everybody I worked with except one of the partners.

I found myself coming home pissed off as hell and constantly ranting/lashing out at my parents, my ex, anybody I came in contact with. I was living with my parents and things are a lot different at 22/23 than when you are in high school. The work was close to their house and if I chose to stay there, I would have just been complacent with myself. Most of my friends had moved out towards NYC already and I was the only one left in the suburbs and as much as I love my parents, I was losing my mind and growing depressed as I felt that my youth was slipping away working a god awful job and having my friends far away.

I searched and applied for jobs for almost a whole year, all quietly under the radar while still pretending I still gave a shit about the first place. When it finally happened, I was practically tripping over my feet to quit the first job; I could barely hide my smile. Side note- I work at a much bigger, much more global company now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I saved a lot of money working close by and living at home. And in a way it was necessary but that is 16 months of my life I'll never get back. I look back to those 16 months as a tumultuous period of my life and would rather forget about it. Since the change, I moved out, and I haven't regretted anything since. Life is too short man, weigh your pros and cons and make a change to whatever makes you genuinely happy. If you're happy at the end, it's all that matters.

Last edited:

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
That is what I keep hearing...I receive joy being recognized for my work and right now, I am just an employee ID# that produces a lot. Where I am now...it's like, "out department did well but the company as a whole missed earnings target...so everyone gets the shaft"
I am at a client right now, which is a very very large corporation. We do not have usernames that consist of our name. They are just IDs with letters and numbers that we use to login. I don't like it. :(

At least for the company I actually work for, it's pretty small and I can see my name, haha.