GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI intake?

blitz07

Passed Driver's Ed
what do you guys think of a cold air intake for the 2.0 tdi and if you think this is a good idea and or you have one what kind would you recommend? thank

HSBREVERSEDSUKS

Go Kart Champion
what do you guys think of a cold air intake for the 2.0 tdi and if you think this is a good idea and or you have one what kind would you recommend? thank

Just got an APR one for my JSW... It cleans up the bay nicely, and a tad.. and I mean tad throttle response, I am happy with my purchase. :w00t:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

HRC-E.B.

Most reports from diesel experts is to the effect that these cars, in term of required air intake volume, need less than a quarter of what the stock set-up will provide. This means that even when tuned, there is no benefit to these systems whatsoever, other than aesthetics.

To top it all off, "cold air" intake is a bit of misnomer, since most of these systems are fully exposed and, hence, draw hot air from the engine bay, more so than the stock set-up.

When considering this and the risk to get more dirt particules into the intake tract, I have decided to keep the stock set-up, even when I'll get the car chipped.

Fiveflat

Ready to race!
I've never been sold on a CAI for a turbo diesel. I come from tuning the Ford Power Stroke diesels so I could be slighty mistaken with regards to the TDI, but I doubt it. CAI do absolutely nothing for a Power Stroke except expose it to possibly more dirt into the intake.
You are forcing hot exhaust into the intake, whats a CAI going to do to that?

I'm already sort of regretting buying the 2.5, wish I got the TDI myself (I got the wife a TDI Jetta) Maybe I'll get into a MKVII TDI.

blitz07

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the help guys i am probably going to hold off for a little bit tune it first then see where im at

blitz07

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never been sold on a CAI for a turbo diesel. I come from tuning the Ford Power Stroke diesels so I could be slighty mistaken with regards to the TDI, but I doubt it. CAI do absolutely nothing for a Power Stroke except expose it to possibly more dirt into the intake.
You are forcing hot exhaust into the intake, whats a CAI going to do to that?

I'm already sort of regretting buying the 2.5, wish I got the TDI myself (I got the wife a TDI Jetta) Maybe I'll get into a MKVII TDI.

i went from the 2.5 jetta mkv to my golf tdi mkvi and i love it already deffinetly think about getting the mkvii that would be a good choice :thumbup:

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
Zero performance benefit, but lots of sound aesthetic benefit if that's what you're going for. You can hear the wooshing and the turbo spool. Hides the normal engine chatter sound normal to diesels.

I have a full Injen intake and a full aFe intake. The Injen isn't cold air as it just uses an air channel to channel air to the side away from the engine where the cone filter sits exposed. The aFe one I have on uses stock plumbing up front before it hits the air box where the cone filter sits and is enclosed making it a CAI. The Injen one makes more sound than the aFe one.

I currently have the aFe one installed, but am willing to part out with either one if interested. Injen and aFe have maybe ~3k miles worth of use each.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
The thing that I see is the biggest issue anyhow is that you don't want cold air goin into your diesel. That's why people complain about driving them in the winter. Diesels are combustion engines, so the warmer the fuel and air coming in, the better. This is just what I have learned thru a little research at least. I would just be interested in maybe the noise part (I love a diesel's idle sound) and making the intake into just one smooth tube. I would also want to see a Ram-Air box made one day.

engineered2win

Ready to race!
The thing that I see is the biggest issue anyhow is that you don't want cold air goin into your diesel. That's why people complain about driving them in the winter. Diesels are combustion engines, so the warmer the fuel and air coming in, the better. This is just what I have learned thru a little research at least. I would just be interested in maybe the noise part (I love a diesel's idle sound) and making the intake into just one smooth tube. I would also want to see a Ram-Air box made one day.

What? Who complains about driving their diesel in the winter? People used to complain about STARTING diesels in the winter. They have a high compression ratio, so they are more difficult to spin up when the engine is cold. Since there is no spark, the compression stroke and intake blanket/glow plugs have to get the charge hot enough to autoignite.

Cooler air is denser air. More oxygen allows you to produce more power. If pumping hot air into the engine was more efficient for a diesel do you think vw would have shelled out for an intercooler?

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
+1 on pointless mod.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Cooler air is denser air. More oxygen allows you to produce more power. If pumping hot air into the engine was more efficient for a diesel do you think vw would have shelled out for an intercooler?

I was going to say much the same thing but lost interest when he stated diesel's were a "combustion" engine as part of the point against an intake (and petrol engines are what, implosion drives? LOL).

That said, I would be willing to bet the TDIs have the same situation as the GTI. An intake doesn't do much on a stock car, no point unless you plan on or are tuned.