GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Intakes: Stock vs. Drop In vs. Aftermarket

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I'm not really sure how you explain this then, Again not my logs. This is by another member member I will see if he is willing to confirm. I do not know temperature or what gear these were in.

Is that on APR software?

P

plac

Everything is different with stage 3 turbo, no intake results can be compared. The shroud could very well be too restrictive on a stage 3, but it has been shown in logs that it is not on a K04 turbo.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Everything is different with stage 3 turbo, no intake results can be compared. The shroud could very well be too restrictive on a stage 3, but it has been shown in logs that it is not on a K04 turbo.

This, never said restrictive on lower that one will need testing. Yes, I know grambles shows adequate flow but going to test my Swiss Carbonio on one.

P

plac

This, never said restrictive on lower that one will need testing. Yes, I know grambles shows adequate flow but going to test my Swiss Carbonio on one.

oh noes.. the swiss cheese mods from early 2000's.. hmmm. maybe some swiss would make the stock box flow good enough.

P

plac

I don't think the advantage of a stubby intake getting direct flow from the vent outweighs the disadvantage of having it a couple inches from the engine. I think the longer p-flo style even tho its not ideal for the vent flo, still stays cooler in the corner than the stubby 2" from the engine block.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Which of the intakes has the best daily city driving performance? Least loss of low end type of thing.

I put my stock one back on recently and realized how smooth the power was driving around SF with it

McQueen77

Banned
Which of the intakes has the best daily city driving performance? Least loss of low end type of thing.

I put my stock one back on recently and realized how smooth the power was driving around SF with it

When you say that you put your stock one back on, what intake did you have before? I agree with your statement but get ready for someone to cut and paste a graph from the apr website telling you that the improvement you are feeling around town with the stock airbox isnt real. I too felt better and smoother low end after removing the carbonio but was told that that is impossible.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
When you say that you put your stock one back on, what intake did you have before? I agree with your statement but get ready for someone to cut and paste a graph from the apr website telling you that the improvement you are feeling around town with the stock airbox isnt real. I too felt better and smoother low end after removing the carbonio but was told that that is impossible.

I took my Modshack out for my 90 day inspection. I know I didn't have to but I'm trying to remain under the radar as much as possible.

I'm all for graphs to support any arguments really :) It could be making more power w/ the intake all over or up top but maybe the delivery curve makes it feel smoother when stock? shrug. I'll sit and read the thread this weekend if I really want to know I suppose.

McQueen77

Banned
I took my Modshack out for my 90 day inspection. I know I didn't have to but I'm trying to remain under the radar as much as possible.

I'm all for graphs to support any arguments really :) It could be making more power w/ the intake all over or up top but maybe the delivery curve makes it feel smoother when stock? shrug. I'll sit and read the thread this weekend if I really want to know I suppose.

What i felt, and what the graphs show is similar delivery to stock with superior flow at 4k rpms and beyond with a small hp gain up high. Stocks looks to perform marginally better down low, i.e. 1-3k rpms which would explain smoother torquier vibe around town

Turn8

Ready to race!

With the Stage 1 Tune, I made more power from idle to 6K RPM's with the stock intake compared to the Carbonio. In my case, the Carbonio only increased power from 6-6.5K RPM's.

Mike

McQueen77

Banned
With the Stage 1 Tune, I made more power from idle to 6K RPM's with the stock intake compared to the Carbonio. In my case, the Carbonio only increased power from 6-6.5K RPM's.

Mike

The devil you say!!!!

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
I am quite content with carbonio. I don't have any dyno runs to back up my feeling, so it could be the placebo effect. I didn't get the carbonio till after I went stage 2. Rocked the stock intake for about a thousand miles then switched. Throttle response is improved and above 4k the car feels stronger, unless my clutch slips. No clutch slipping with the stock airbox, have minor slippage with the carbonio.

Just want to add that I ran the car on factory tune with intake and downpipe for a few hundred miles and that is how the car should have been stock. People say stage 1, but I believe it's too peaky for the average driver, but the intake and downpipe give good throttle response and smooth power. Very nice delivery

Also want to add that I'm not a carbonio fan boy, and would have went in a different direction if I wasn't planning doing a k04 install in the spring. I say buy the intake that the tuner uses to develop their tunes. My $0.02.

Turn8

Ready to race!
I am quite content with carbonio. I don't have any dyno runs to back up my feeling, so it could be the placebo effect. I didn't get the carbonio till after I went stage 2. Rocked the stock intake for about a thousand miles then switched. Throttle response is improved and above 4k the car feels stronger, unless my clutch slips. No clutch slipping with the stock airbox, have minor slippage with the carbonio.

I'm not going to argue and you may find this interesting...

I too have experienced better throttle response and my dyno's have proven that the Carbonio helps the turbo spool quicker and increase boost throughout the RPM range but, ironically, it didn't make any additional power until the upper RPM's. I can't explain it. Since the Carbonio increases boost throughout the RPM's it should make more power from idle to redline. I don't know. Perhaps it is my Tune or, the intake requires more 'break-in' miles for the ECU to adjust before the power can be recognized...

I'm keeping my Carbonio too. It looks too pretty to replace.

Mike