GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Intakes: Stock vs. Drop In vs. Aftermarket

broox

So, after going through this monster thread it seems that the Apex'i "stubby" filter is one of the best performers.

The APR Carbonio ($325) seems to perform a bit better than the Modshack ($270), but the Carbonio is also louder and apparently sounds like Darth Vader.

The Neuspeed P-Flo ($340) doesn't seem to perform quite as well as the Apex'i "stubby." Some people say the p-flo is a bit louder. The stubby can also start performing worse when it's 80 degrees or more.

So, what is exactly is the Apex'i stubby? Looking at the photo and Apex'i's site, I'm guessing it's just one of the 75mm (160mm OD) universal cone filters with that 75mm flange slammed onto the stock system... is that it?

I think I'm leaning toward the Carbonio, but I'm just curious which parts I should add to the shopping list if I wanna get that stubby setup. Thanks!

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
This thread started a long time ago, and I had tests of my Apexi stubby and also my Apexi-flow, giving MAF ranges of 250 g/s on average. I just set up a new Apexi-Flo, and I might compare the flow again. But, I did these old tests when I had K04 I think. I'm sure that pulls more air through the filter than the stock turbo would. Any averages on highest MAF flow with stock turbo? Best I could get on my Apexi-Flo yesterday was 191 g/s which is low. But that was only around town driving in 3rd gear WOT.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
So, after going through this monster thread it seems that the Apex'i "stubby" filter is one of the best performers.

So, what is exactly is the Apex'i stubby? Looking at the photo and Apex'i's site, I'm guessing it's just one of the 75mm (160mm OD) universal cone filters with that 75mm flange slammed onto the stock system... is that it?

yes, it is very good for response, but not so good for cold air.

it is a Apexi 500-A026 kit which runs around $100 shipped. But then you also have to buy some 3" silicone hose to make your 5" piece to attach to MAF.

ShdBluMkVI

Ready to race!
If VW's engineers thought there was some real gains to be had by redesigning the stock intake/airbox to work and look more like the popular aftermarket ones, don't you think they would have done it with the 2015 Golf R?

...looks pretty much the same as the stock airbox that I now have back in my car, doesn't it?

Jhayesvw

Passed Driver's Ed
But when VW makes an air filter system they compromise noise, ability to withstand heavy water, flow, clean look, and obviously filter ability.

They are going to play it safe.

Engine air intake evaluation

Unfortunately, each of the two designs used in the evaluation are far from ideal in terms of mitigating pressure drop. There are simple changes that would result in a much more effective intake tract.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
just a random unrelated piece of information for interest.

my 2015 WRX max MAF Corr. (g/s) is 260.17.

That is from logs i ran last night. this is an "in-progress" stage 2 WRX with just a downpipe. Stock intake.

virtual dynojet power: 254awhp/288wtq

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
just a random unrelated piece of information for interest.

my 2015 WRX max MAF Corr. (g/s) is 260.17.

That is from logs i ran last night. this is an "in-progress" stage 2 WRX with just a downpipe. Stock intake.

virtual dynojet power: 254awhp/288wtq

I had a 2012 stage 2 with 324/341, intake, PW tmic, dp, aem intake, 3 port, and e-tuned by Eric. Very fun car, my gti is actually more fun though, and a whole lot more comfortable with my bad back, oh well fun while it lasted though.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Dang that's huge power. I have also had Eric do some tunes on this car. I didn't find my 3-port worthwhile and took it out.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
i currently have a modshack and i think it's a little too quiet for my tastes. out of desperation today i removed the heatshield -- filter on a stick. it was still too quiet!

which means either i'm deaf, or to make the most sound you need the stage 2 piping. CTS and unitronic have some pretty nice sucking and blow offs sounds, but those videos online are with the hood up. for the owners out there with either intake, can you actually hear it?

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
i currently have a modshack and i think it's a little too quiet for my tastes. out of desperation today i removed the heatshield -- filter on a stick. it was still too quiet!

which means either i'm deaf, or to make the most sound you need the stage 2 piping. CTS and unitronic have some pretty nice sucking and blow offs sounds, but those videos online are with the hood up. for the owners out there with either intake, can you actually hear it?

The modshack intake was created to be quieter than the rest while maintaining better performance than the stock air box. That said, the CTS intake is also quite quiet (I have it).

Even as big turbo, custom 4" intake, and the CTS MAF housing and filter, it's still pretty quiet.

skotcoop

Ready to race!
I'm going to install my CTS intake today. I havent seen any reviews on the new style oddly. It seems to be nearly identical to the popular Unitronic one only cheaper. We'll see if I can get some pictures and do a review. I was using the APR stage 1 and 2 and ended up not liking it. (still for sale btw) unless I hate the cts one.

RichBGTI

Ready to race!
Ive got APR Carbonio and its very quiet. When OEM tune it was silent (really, could barely tell the difference) but with Stage 2 it does give a fair amount of airflow noise and the swoosh of the dv when you release. Compared to my BT 1.8T with Modshack TTDA its super quiet!

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
i recently switched from modshack to ECS's luft-technik. the latter is a very loud intake. i was able to hear sucking and puffing sounds just with partial throttle, at WOT it was a beast. it was almost as loud as the exhaust, so you can always hear it.

however, since it used an oiled filter, and because i'm paranoid (and because it was only $20 shipped from amazon), i swapped in an AEM dryflow.

all i did was swap the filter and now it is very quiet. i can't hear any sucking noises at partial, only at WOT (and barely). the blow off can still be heard, but much quieter, and sounds more "muffled".

i can't believe the filter itself could have made such a big difference in sound, but it does.