GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Intakes: Stock vs. Drop In vs. Aftermarket

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
i recently switched from modshack to ECS's luft-technik. the latter is a very loud intake. i was able to hear sucking and puffing sounds just with partial throttle, at WOT it was a beast. it was almost as loud as the exhaust, so you can always hear it.

however, since it used an oiled filter, and because i'm paranoid (and because it was only $20 shipped from amazon), i swapped in an AEM dryflow.

all i did was swap the filter and now it is very quiet. i can't hear any sucking noises at partial, only at WOT (and barely). the blow off can still be heard, but much quieter, and sounds more "muffled".

i can't believe the filter itself could have made such a big difference in sound, but it does.

How did it affect flow?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
How did it affect flow?
i'd have to run data logs to know for sure, but oiled filters are generally known to flow better than dry filters because they don't filter as good. it's not anything that butt dyno can notice though.

panzr15

Ready to race!
Curious to see how the new COBB intake performs. Anyone willing to run some logs with it and post them up?

bernardryan

Ready to race!
Okay so.. I would like some input on what you guys think.. Ive read thru most of this thread but what I need answered needs more of a experienced view rather than theory...

I'm planning on going stage 2... Currently I'm having APR stage 1 v2.1 on my Gti mk6 dsg stock hardware. Just finished 60k km major service.

What I want to know is should I be going for open pod or close pod type... Drop in was considered but since the APR tune can take advantage of more airflow... I guess changing the full intake to a non restrictive type would be best..

My ambient conditions are mostly 30C to 40C during the say and 25 to 32C during the night. Raining and sunshine throughout the year.. And can get really heavy rain like up to 50kmh winds... Sometimes flood but I'm rarely in those areas...

Any input would be helpful.

I'm considering
1) CTS stage 1 and 2 intake system
2) Carbonio Type (APR look) including stage 1 and 2 piping.
3) Gruppe M intake
4) what do you recommend?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Mainly comes down to sound. Pull up some videos if you can about the different sounds.
I haven't owned any of those combinations but they are all filters on a stick at the end of the day.
Sound and fitment are whats important.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JS12

Ready to race!
What I want to know is should I be going for open pod or close pod type...

Open will be louder, closed may stay a bit cleaner. Performance-wise, I doubt you'll notice any difference. I had a COBB intake (closed) which was good quality and had a more subdued sound to it, but I could never get it to play nicely with COBB's tune.

I replaced it with the IE intake (open) which is much louder, but I love it. You can still keep it quiet if you drive conservatively but it sounds like a whale spouting off when you want it to.

jysaw

Ready to race!
Does the MAF position need to be at 11 o'clock as per the OEM position in the first pic? I noticed that the MAF is at 12 o'clock for both APR and modshack

MrJTimmons

I'm new at this and am noticing that no one talks about the Unitronic CAI. Of course, I didn't get through all 38 pages. How does the Unitronic intake compare to the IE or EVOMS intake? Those are the ones I'm considering right now. Some please point me in the right direction. I am also tuning Stage 1, Unitronic, if that helps.

pdan

Ready to race!
I'm new at this and am noticing that no one talks about the Unitronic CAI. Of course, I didn't get through all 38 pages. How does the Unitronic intake compare to the IE or EVOMS intake? Those are the ones I'm considering right now. Some please point me in the right direction. I am also tuning Stage 1, Unitronic, if that helps.

I've got the Unitronic intake installed and gotta say I love it. I was looking for something that made a lot of intake noise and this for sure does. Fitment was great and I've had no issues with it so far. Of course I haven't done any logs or anything like that, just haven't had any basic issues.
Planning on mating it to APR software in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!

There are a few threads on the Unitronic CAI and I think most people that run it like it.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64021
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91103

The search functionality is meh on this board so it is easier just to google whatever you want to find using a search term like "site:golfmk6.com unitronic CAI" or something similar.

By the way welcome to a fellow Charleston County member. Are you getting tuned at JK Automotive? Bunch of good guys and they are well respected in the VW community in Charleston.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
A good majority of the forum is running the Unitronic intake. It's a quality piece of hardware.