GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ThatGTI Build Thread

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
I've had my Neuspeed turbo discharge pipe on for almost two weeks. The install took me a while due to a mistake made by me, but really happy once it was on. The power comes on a lot quicker and makes it so much better to drive. I think it's even more beneficial for manual cars. Sometimes you get stuck in a high gear at lower speed and need power as soon as possible and this delivers that sooner and harder. The pipe is fairly pricey, but definitely a nice upgrade.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Since my last update I bought an installed a 034 Billet Dogbone Mount Insert. It replaced my poly Neuspeed one. I'm very happy with it. The 034 one has more vibrations getting moving from a standstill, but it's better in every other way than the Nesupeed one. Then also I got new updated LED rear turn signals from deAutoKey to test. Put those in I now run these bulbs instead of the Putco ones. These are brighter and fill up the housing better. Here is a quick video showing how bright they are compared to stock incandescents in my brother's Leaf and mom's Optima Hybrid.

Two days ago I installed deAutoKey's de360 LED fog light bulbs. Wow. They are super bright. I didn't think the stock bulbs were dim by any means, but these blow them out of the water.

Yesterday I put some stickers on. I've had these forever, but never put them on. If you've followed my build for a while you know I had a very large sticker on my rear window. That one didn't last long. These are a lot less obnoxious.

Now onto another topic. That bottom sticker. I'm happy to say that I'm currently a sponser for SW-VW (Southwest Volkswagen). It's run by a single guy, Hawk Miller, out of Sedona, AZ. If any of you guys need any aftermarket parts check out his website. He has great deals on tons of stuff, and can get you good price. He offers a lot more than what is available on the website. So don't be afraid to email him and ask about a part.

As far as plans for this year. Next month I'll be attending Water By The Bridge in Louisville, KY. Then in April I'll be at The Euro District. In June I'm planning on going on a roadtrip and visiting a friend in the SF Bay area. As of now we're planning on doing a track day at Laguna Seca and attending Fastivus. Pretty excited about this. I need to get some stuff done to my car before then though (timing chain tensioner, clutch, brake fluid, and fix my ripped driver side CV boot). Also I'll be attending a lot more auto-cross events in my car. Usually use the family's Miata for it, but I want to see how my car can compete in a season. Really looking forward to this year and what it brings.

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Had the privilege of meeting this guy yesterday, he's got a beautiful car and a great attitude! Looking forward to seeing where the car goes from here!

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Had the privilege of meeting this guy yesterday, he's got a beautiful car and a great attitude! Looking forward to seeing where the car goes from here!

Thank you! I appreciate it. Nice to meet you as well. Also thanks for the GoPro mount! If anyone you are interested in custom made 3D printed things (GoPro mounts, emblems, etc.) he makes some great stuff and has a thread on it. Your car looked great. Reminded me of my winter wheels last year. I really like the color. Hope to see you at some meets/shows soon.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the kind words, if this revision slips on you please let me know. I'm working on a model that makes use of the GoPro clips for more versatility. I may also try to modify the design where it attaches to the seat. I'd like something with no hardware at all but not sure that's realistic!

zrickety

The Fixer
Some kind of snap tab arrangement, I know you can do it.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
do you have a part number for the OEM window shades you just put in? i like that idea
5K3064363 is the part number for the rear window shades for a 2-Door. The part is discontinued though, and pretty hard to find. I got mine from ebay.uk though. They weren't to expensive either.

St3ph3nsvw12GTI

Ready to race!
Since my last update I bought an installed a 034 Billet Dogbone Mount Insert. It replaced my poly Neuspeed one. I'm very happy with it. The 034 one has more vibrations getting moving from a standstill, but it's better in every other way than the Nesupeed one. Then also I got new updated LED rear turn signals from deAutoKey to test. Put those in I now run these bulbs instead of the Putco ones. These are brighter and fill up the housing better. Here is a quick video showing how bright they are compared to stock incandescents in my brother's Leaf and mom's Optima Hybrid.

Two days ago I installed deAutoKey's de360 LED fog light bulbs. Wow. They are super bright. I didn't think the stock bulbs were dim by any means, but these blow them out of the water.

Yesterday I put some stickers on. I've had these forever, but never put them on. If you've followed my build for a while you know I had a very large sticker on my rear window. That one didn't last long. These are a lot less obnoxious.

Now onto another topic. That bottom sticker. I'm happy to say that I'm currently a sponser for SW-VW (Southwest Volkswagen). It's run by a single guy, Hawk Miller, out of Sedona, AZ. If any of you guys need any aftermarket parts check out his website. He has great deals on tons of stuff, and can get you good price. He offers a lot more than what is available on the website. So don't be afraid to email him and ask about a part.

As far as plans for this year. Next month I'll be attending Water By The Bridge in Louisville, KY. Then in April I'll be at The Euro District. In June I'm planning on going on a roadtrip and visiting a friend in the SF Bay area. As of now we're planning on doing a track day at Laguna Seca and attending Fastivus. Pretty excited about this. I need to get some stuff done to my car before then though (timing chain tensioner, clutch, brake fluid, and fix my ripped driver side CV boot). Also I'll be attending a lot more auto-cross events in my car. Usually use the family's Miata for it, but I want to see how my car can compete in a season. Really looking forward to this year and what it brings.

Those led fogs look awesome! Did you get the 5k or 6k? Im going on a 10hr trip in 2 weeks where most of it will be at night. So im thinking these would be great. Any other thoughts on what to go with? I have been wanting to tint the fogs some for a cleaner look, so I will want a brighter light.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Those led fogs look awesome! Did you get the 5k or 6k? Im going on a 10hr trip in 2 weeks where most of it will be at night. So im thinking these would be great. Any other thoughts on what to go with? I have been wanting to tint the fogs some for a cleaner look, so I will want a brighter light.

Thanks! To be honest I totally forget which color temperature they are. I wanna say 6k though. These are definitely helpful with seeing at night. These are brighter than a comparable HID kit. I wanted LED bulbs for the dogs, so I chose these. I can't comment on any other brands really. I had Hoen Xenon Match bulbs before these. They were just colored halogen bulbs though. I have no complaints with these deAutoKey ones.

St3ph3nsvw12GTI

Ready to race!
Thanks! To be honest I totally forget which color temperature they are. I wanna say 6k though. These are definitely helpful with seeing at night. These are brighter than a comparable HID kit. I wanted LED bulbs for the dogs, so I chose these. I can't comment on any other brands really. I had Hoen Xenon Match bulbs before these. They were just colored halogen bulbs though. I have no complaints with these deAutoKey ones.

Ok, great! Just wondering, did you get the hid housing too or just the led lights? They suggested to use the hid houseing kit...

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ok, great! Just wondering, did you get the hid housing too or just the led lights? They suggested to use the hid houseing kit...

The fog lights are just the standard de360 LED fog lights they have for sale. I'm not sure what you mean by suggested to use the HID housing kit.