GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The whole essential vs non essential seems rather loosely defined.

Liquor stores are considered essential in DE. Our Governor said that the hospitals asked him to do this so that they would not have an influx of withdraw patients taking up beds. The state is on lock down till May 15th at the moment.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Liquor stores are considered essential in DE. Our Governor said that the hospitals asked him to do this so that they would not have an influx of withdraw patients taking up beds. The state is on lock down till May 15th at the moment.

Yep, my wife was like wtf when they make booze essential, but she's never spent a shift caring for patients with DT's.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yep, my wife was like wtf when they make booze essential, but she's never spent a shift caring for patients with DT's.

That was my reaction too, WTF. But I have heard that alcohol withdraw is one of the worst. Some people might turn violent which would not help anyone either.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
That was my reaction too, WTF. But I have heard that alcohol withdraw is one of the worst. Some people might turn violent which would not help anyone either.

I feel like it may be a bit exaggerated. Maybe if the person is pounding liquor all hours of the day. But what do I know... lol

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
[
I would agree lol. Some of the grocery stores hear have a wide variety of hours. The kroger appears to still be open until 1am. I think the others were limiting hours due to the need to restock. But maybe regular hours would minimize heavy traffic...

Yeah, most of our local grocery stores are doing limited hours like 7-6. Senior Citizens can go 2 hours early once a week.

I wonder if they’d card me if I showed up at 6am lol.

I agree. The individual states are defining it. But what some states call essential others aren't.

Yeah, and it seems like they just issued guidelines for individuals to interpret. My dog walker told us she’s essential as an in home employee and offered to stop by.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
I feel like it may be a bit exaggerated. Maybe if the person is pounding liquor all hours of the day. But what do I know... lol
Besides being possibly fatal...I've seen little old men toss around much larger orderlies and patients restrained to beds attempting to rip out catheters as their lives depended on it. It's no joke.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion

God bless that governor.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Same rules w liquor stores here in sweet and polite BC, Canada. Open because of concern over the dependence that most of us have.

Sorry to hear our southern friends are a bit behind on shutting shit down. We are starting week 3 of gradual shut downs / working from home. The next week or 2 will tell us if it’s been helpful or not.

And I can appreciate how much more of a challenge it must be there given the fact that there’s 10x the population.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.The longer we keep people out of the hospitals, the better. ??

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
My county had shown 3 cases last week. It's been sitting on 8 for a couple days now with no change. The rec center/library/gyms/etc have been closed for maybe two weeks. And all of the restaurants on take out only for at least a week. But what fukn day is it really?

Chris_Bob

Ready to race!
The booze is no joke. As sad as it seems, my local liquor store shut down their website because there were too many orders and their website site was crashing. They were 4 days behind pulling orders. "Hi, I'd like to place an order for pick up. Sure, we'll have that ready for you in 4 days." They had to employ a bouncer to regulate in store traffic!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If they've stopped elective procedures and outpatient lab and rad have slowed, they are losing money. Those are profit centers. ER's are giant cash burning machines. Since retiring, I've worked at one hospital that actually made money with their ER and the hospital was in an affluent area with high rates of health insurance coverage. Other than that, ER's are huge money losers for hosptitals.

I'm seeing that you can reuse N95 masks if you bake them at 158 deg F for 2 hours. Also, 2 layers of instrument wrap can be made into a mask and provides N99 levels of protection. In our area, people are sewing cloth masks to cover the N95 masks to keep them from getting soiled and masks with pouches to hold sheets of instrument wrap. The federal government isn't coming to the rescue here, so we're going to have to get creative.
I thought, for radiology, we made our money on the ER films and that we lost/didn't make any money on the inpatient (routine) films. But again, I don't know the financial state here

N95's don't exist here. They "banned" them a few years back in our hospital and went to a powered portable air respirator mask thingy instead. BUT now the N95's are allowed to be used again, but of course we don't have them & with a shortage....good luck getting/finding one.
There are no protective gowns either. If you were lucky enough to find or get one, you were told you had to keep reusing it. And if any more show up, they're allotting them.
Typically you would use it one time & throw it away. Instead, we're forced to be using these over and over after interaction with MULTIPLE patients

All protocol is out the window :(

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
The booze is no joke. As sad as it seems, my local liquor store shut down their website because there were too many orders and their website site was crashing. They were 4 days behind pulling orders. "Hi, I'd like to place an order for pick up. Sure, we'll have that ready for you in 4 days." They had to employ a bouncer to regulate in store traffic!
All the local breweries and wineries are boosting their delivery presences. And all of the food delivery apps, even via mainstream restaurants are offering booze delivery.

On a more positive note, killer whales / orcas, are once again swimming in the inlets near Vancouver. They haven’t frequented these waters for ~100 years.

FlyingMU

lol...I've been youtubing "How to cut your own hair"......I think I'd have scary results. Need one badly and should have gotten it when things first kicked off...now I'm definitely not going in.

Xfinity at home and no throttling here. Where I work was definitely NOT set up to work remotely, as that's always been frowned upon....until now ironically. The govt NEC has manually shut down all non-necessary sites too (youtube, etc) for obvious reasons, so no-go from govt laptops.

Nice. I remember cutting my own hair at college. I had to lockdown myself after that... :D Better check guides on wikihow, they are written well but the images are disturbing and obnoxious sometimes. I better check blogs like this one and practice styling the hair length you have at the moment.
At least I can work from my home PC and watch youtube at the same time.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Cutting your own hair is actually pretty easy unless you have some really eclectic style. Scissors up top, back and sides with the buzzer. Anything more complicated than a trim will take practice but most of us have lots of time on our hands these days.

Plus, if you screw it up you can just keep staying inside anyway ?