GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Chisel's 2010 GTI 2dr 6MT Black Pearl Metallic

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Got my APR coils on! Of course I have broken coil connectors, but I was able to re-pin a new one. I’ll get the rest fixed later. Plug gap was good on two of them, but the other two were .038 and .042… got them all at .032 now.
Did a full Liquimoly oil change with MoS2 as well.

D175574D-0835-483E-AC26-189553DFD543.jpeg
BAC136F8-1810-4187-A3DE-430D26AD4578.jpeg

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Just did some new years maintenance. LiquiMoly Molygen oil change with MoS2, cleaned and lightly oiled APR air filter, changed cabin filter, changed 6mt fluid.
Went with the Fuchs Sintofluid FE SAE 75. Gave it 2.25 fuchs. After that I couldn't give any more fuchs.

I'm thinking about getting the alignment adjusted soon. Going to try less camber in the rear to hopefully help the inside cupping issue. I've already lowered the rear air pressure to 35 max.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'm thinking about getting the alignment adjusted soon. Going to try less camber in the rear to hopefully help the inside cupping issue. I've already lowered the rear air pressure to 35 max.
More likely cause is worn shocks and/or unbalanced wheels/tires. Either way cupped tires should go and you probably need to find out if your rear shock are actually working properly if not car bounces (springs) and you get cupping. Same if weights get knocked off wheels or they have not been balanced in a very long time.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
More likely cause is worn shocks and/or unbalanced wheels/tires. Either way cupped tires should go and you probably need to find out if your rear shock are actually working properly if not car bounces (springs) and you get cupping. Same if weights get knocked off wheels or they have not been balanced in a very long time.
Both rear tires are wearing in the same manner and I've kept them balanced. There are only about 30k miles on the shocks. I don't think they should be worn out already? They are Bilstein B4's. I'm thinking the heavy wheel weight and relative high factory tire pressure spec might be in part to blame. I guess the shocks could possibly be worn out if they've been overworked because of that.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well the cupping indicates the wheels have been bouncing. That kind of constant motion will burn. Up shocks. Initial cause could be bushings worn what brand tire, just curious?

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Well the cupping indicates the wheels have been bouncing. That kind of constant motion will burn. Up shocks. Initial cause could be bushings worn what brand tire, just curious?
I guess I will need to check the bushings. Are there specific ones that are prone to going bad?

My tires are General G-Max AS-05 UHP installed just after I replaced the shocks.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Check control arm bushings, triling arm bushings, wheel bearings and shock top mounts. Look for anything worn that might allow small unwanted vertical movement. You said you have been checking wheel balance and those are decent tires so we can eliminate those 2 things.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
New rotors and pads on my GTI. So fresh and clean 😅
They weren’t horrible before, but the slides were dry and they were just noisy. All smooth and quiet now.

Rotors are Zimmerman Z-coat and pads are Akebono Euro formula.
I used Sil-Glide on the slides and guides, and BG Stop Squeal on the pad surfaces.

Attachments

• IMG_6086.jpeg
    IMG_6086.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6092.jpeg
    IMG_6092.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6096.jpeg
    IMG_6096.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Changed up the wheels this weekend. 18x8et44 Beetle Dune "Canyon" wheels and new Conti DWS06 Plus (225/40/18). I really like the flush fitment and the multi-spoke style. I don’t think they’re any lighter than the Detroits, but I think they look really good.

Attachments

• IMG_6761.jpeg
    IMG_6761.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6762.jpeg
    IMG_6762.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6778.jpeg
    IMG_6778.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: