GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Cool Story Bro Thread

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Psia = pounds per square inch absolute. It's the difference in pressure between the reading and the pressure in space (nothing). Earth's atmosphere is 14.7 psia at sea level (or close to it).

Psig = pounds per square inch gauge. Since most mechanical pressure gauges can only measure the pressure with the ambient conditions as a reference, most gauges measure psig. A boost gauge measuring vacuum is measuring negative psig because it still uses that 14.7 psia as a reference point and subtracts from it (typically in units of in Hg though, but that's just a different scale).

The car's MAP sensor conversion includes the ambient gauge correction, so you read psia out the ECU. Whatever you read, therefore, is 14.7psi above the psig reading we usually refer to when we say "k03 boosts to 8psi stock".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jared32

Ready to race!
Oh I see... Makes sense now!!!

Sent from my distracter to yours...

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Just had to say something on here I guess and the racing Gods heard my calling.

Had a brand new 328i behind me this morning. He started keeping up with me while I was rolling through traffic at about 75-80. I see him catch the same hole and he was coming up on me, so I slowed to 60 and slapped it in 3rd. He got up to me, about a car length back, and I stuck my hand out the window and signaled 3, 2, 1. I took off, he kept up for a couple seconds and then I started walking away. As I was walking away, I waved buh bye #BecauseImADouche. By the top of 4th I was a couple bus lengths up on him, it was not even remotely close. I waited for him to catch back up and gave him a V, he would not look over at me, he was slouched over with his face on his fist with a pretty pissed/defeated look on his face...he was not happy. I guess I wouldn't be happy either if my $40,000 car just got beat by a $20,000 VW Rabbit :lol:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I raced a veyron with APR stage 2 and downpipes. he was on stock intercoolers though so i pulled like 2-3 cars.

obviously he didnt have the stage 2 v3.0 beta

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Got my car back and the clutch all broken in, but nobody exciting wants to play :'(

Local buddy has a Mk6 GLI and thinks it's tuned (he bought it used) so we might have a run here in the next couple days though. I'll make sure and GoPro it.

He said he was peaking nearly 20 psi when he checked it, but I don't know he's got it set up right, and he said it doesn't feel tuned to him, so we'll see :D

20 psia is 6psig. If he's reading off obdii he's stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Met with him today, but we didn't do a run. We got in my car first to compare the logs and see how mine compares. He said he hit somewhere around 22psi; I did a 4th gear pull and was hitting 34.XXpsi - so it is reading psia on his app. There is a way to correct it on some of those apps, I know my Torque Pro app corrects it (but is slightly off anyways), but we couldn't find a way to correct it while we were out.

He said he felt like my car was much faster than his, didn't feel like it was worth it to go when it was pretty obvious to him that I would have handled him pretty well.

He said he's pretty confused though, he got it CPO and took it in for an Intake runner failure, and the tech said his GLI was marked TD1. He called all the local tuners and none of them show his VIN in their system - the only place that can't look it up is Revo, so he said he may drive down to their location and have it plugged in to see if they pull it up.
Can't imagine he'd be flagged TD1 for any other reason, and the tech pretty much mirrored that statement. They even went as far as to tell him they weren't going to replace his Intake runner when it failed a second time because they were sure he was lying to them and he was actually tuned...

Interesting for sure :w00t:

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I raced a veyron with APR stage 2 and downpipes. he was on stock intercoolers though so i pulled like 2-3 cars.

obviously he didnt have the stage 2 v3.0 beta

Not sure if that was targeted at me, cause I know there are some silly things that get posted in here from time to time, but those 328i's only trap about 98-99 in the 1/4 - pretty sure it's not an unreasonable win :cool:

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Not sure if that was targeted at me, cause I know there are some silly things that get posted in here from time to time, but those 328i's only trap about 98-99 in the 1/4 - pretty sure it's not an unreasonable win :cool:

I'm pretty sure that guy wasn't racing you

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
You guys know that a 328i is really fucking slow, right? I have no problem believing that a stage 2 GTI beat one from a 60 roll.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I don't know what pre-2000 model 328i you guys are referring to but the new >2014 model 328i is more than a match for a stage 2 GTi. I've seen it. I've lived it. They are NOT slow.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Just had to say something on here I guess and the racing Gods heard my calling.

Had a brand new 328i behind me this morning. He started keeping up with me while I was rolling through traffic at about 75-80. I see him catch the same hole and he was coming up on me, so I slowed to 60 and slapped it in 3rd. He got up to me, about a car length back, and I stuck my hand out the window and signaled 3, 2, 1. I took off, he kept up for a couple seconds and then I started walking away. As I was walking away, I waved buh bye #BecauseImADouche. By the top of 4th I was a couple bus lengths up on him, it was not even remotely close. I waited for him to catch back up and gave him a V, he would not look over at me, he was slouched over with his face on his fist with a pretty pissed/defeated look on his face...he was not happy. I guess I wouldn't be happy either if my $40,000 car just got beat by a $20,000 VW Rabbit :lol:

and this is why I would just go for 335i if I want a 3 series, why go 28i when theres a faster version. for $40k i'd rather get the new mustang GT. Speaking of which, my co-worker just got rid of his 200k mile civic into leasing a bone base 320xi, and thinks he's gonna beat me :laugh: we'll see about that

You guys know that a 328i is really fucking slow, right? I have no problem believing that a stage 2 GTI beat one from a 60 roll.

can confirm, i have walked a few 328i's myself with my stage 1 mk6, and technically kept up with em when stock, not to mention some had the NA 3.0 which are dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I don't know what pre-2000 model 328i you guys are referring to but the new >2014 model 328i is more than a match for a stage 2 GTi. I've seen it. I've lived it. They are NOT slow.

they are probably tuned then, theres no way they can beat a stage 2 stock, unless it doesn't have upgraded intercooler. a stock mk6 is not far off from a 328i 0-100 kmh (5.9), stage 1 can easily surpass that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
The newer, turbo ones, are not as slow.
^

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Why buy a 328i when there is a faster one? Lol seriously?

Why buy a GTI when there is an R?