GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

borninabus

so i ordered a set of 4 door dsg DG springs for my 6MT JSW TDI. after installing koni yellows in the back, my rake became a bit too noticeable. so i'm installing the rear springs in hopes of evening it out a bit. my goal is to lower the front as little as possible. i do not want to lose my parking block clearance and i have been known to hit a dirt road or two. so what are my options in the front for very little drop? will be going with bilstein B4 TC struts

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
I recently had a cupkit from VWR (Racingline; springs + shocks) installed on my GTI.
Very happy with the setup. It’s just a tad firmer than the stock setup; and that is with the H&R swaybars (26mm/22mm) set to hard.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I know this is the "VWR SPRING" thread but I am wondering about the Racingline VWR Shocks + Struts and figured this would be as good a place to ask as any - anyone able to compare how they feel vs stock or vs something like the Koni Str.t? Trying to figure out the final piece of my suspension refresh puzzle.

Tried the ol google site: trick and not many hits.

borninabus

my understanding is that the str.t shocks are not made by koni. for this reason--in an attempt to keep things not too harsh and economical--i went with koni sports (yellow) in the rear and bilstein B4 in the front. the springs are pretty much needed to counteract the increased damping of "performance" shocks and i can attest to this having driven on the stock springs and sports in the back. although i went with the VWDGs, i would not expedt the racingline springs to be much different. and to further answer your question: yes. the springs make a very noticeable difference. if i had money to just throw around i would have gone with the koni special active in the front, but in the end the bilsteins fit my price point and desired ride quality.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
my understanding is that the str.t shocks are not made by koni. for this reason--in an attempt to keep things not too harsh and economical--i went with koni sports (yellow) in the rear and bilstein B4 in the front. the springs are pretty much needed to counteract the increased damping of "performance" shocks and i can attest to this having driven on the stock springs and sports in the back. although i went with the VWDGs, i would not expedt the racingline springs to be much different. and to further answer your question: yes. the springs make a very noticeable difference. if i had money to just throw around i would have gone with the koni special active in the front, but in the end the bilsteins fit my price point and desired ride quality.

Thanks but I'm wondering about the VWR Shocks, not springs. I have springs and am trying to figure out my struts.

borninabus

haha. sorry!
i wouldn't expect much action in here. at least no one bit on my questions. so, what is appealing to you about the racingline offering vs. something proven like special actives or sports? what is your desired result/intended use?

i ended up calling/emailing vendors & manufacturers to get my questions answers.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
haha. sorry!
i wouldn't expect much action in here. at least no one bit on my questions. so, what is appealing to you about the racingline offering vs. something proven like special actives or sports? what is your desired result/intended use?

i ended up calling/emailing vendors & manufacturers to get my questions answers.

They look like a sportier option at an OE+ price point. I don't do anything like AutoX or tracking, so I'm not sure I need adjustables, just looking for something that I can pair with some lowering springs. Maybe the B4's would be fine.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
They look like a sportier option at an OE+ price point. I don't do anything like AutoX or tracking, so I'm not sure I need adjustables, just looking for something that I can pair with some lowering springs. Maybe the B4's would be fine.

I just installed VWR springs last weekend and went with B4's. Rides almost as smooth as stock.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
I recently install the racingline cup kit (dampers and springs). Although I do want to spend more time before I do a review, my initial reaction is that it’s slightly firmer than stock (most likely attributed to the tri-valve / dual tube setup); I can feel that the springs work really well with the dampening/rebounding characteristics of the dampers. They were developed together so it makes sense. My car may feel slightly firmer than stock (but in a good way) because I upgraded both front and rear sway bars (HR 26m front hard / and 22mm rear hard) as well. I don’t have any plan to take it to a track anytime soon but I will report back after spending a bit more time.

borninabus

my goal was to tighten up roll a bit without sacrificing too much ride quality, so i started with a 21.7mm (GTI) rear sway bar and then added the koni yellows in the rear as well. then the (JSW) rake got big so i put DG springs back there with good results. i plan on installing the DG springs w/ B4 struts in the front and then 1" spacers all around to bring my ride height back up.

if your goal is to just lower and your not looking for anything else, then the B4/VWR would be a good pairing, IMO. if you want to step it up a notch, then the Koni special actives are pretty much the gold standard for comfort and performance. i just couldn't swing it, cash-wise for the fronts.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
I have spent some time driving around with both the racingline (vwr) springs + stock dampers and the racingline (vwr) springs & dampers that I thought I would briefly share my thoughts. Racingline cupkit (springs + dampers) is almost as compliant as the stock setup (my stock dampers were 8 yrs old / 30k miles when they were replaced) whereas racingline springs + stock dampers setup was not as compliant. It was not harsh at all but definitely firmer. I really like the cupkit. With the addition of H&R sway bars (26/22) and tyrolsport front and rear subframe collars, the car feels rock solid and the handling has greatly improved. It literally feels like a new car.