GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

BjxGTI

Ready to race!
Does it just blow when you put a new fuse in and turn the key on? Or what are you putting in it that makes the fuse blow? Some of the cheap ass phone chargers will short it out

It blows when I plug in a phone charger, I've tried multiple chargers and it did the same thing, I've also tried the same charger that worked on my gf's car.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
It blows when I plug in a phone charger, I've tried multiple chargers and it did the same thing, I've also tried the same charger that worked on my gf's car.
yeah theres probably a short on the harness

lil_k9

I'm looking at tow hitch options for my 2013 Golf TDI. The main two that keep popping up one etrailer are the Curt and Draw-Tite ones that look awful and are asking to get banged up anytime I drive into my parents driveway.
Maybe I missed the thread that discussed this but has anybody ever bolted up a GTI trailer hitch to an MK6 golf? I can imagine the rear valance might be an issue and some mounting nuts and bolts, but wanted to see if anybody has tried it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I don't know, not sure why it would be much different. They may look awful but that's because they're purpose built for towing stuff. The curt one says no drilling required that seems like it would be nice. A badly designed hitch that looks cool could be a disaster

lil_k9

I don't know, not sure why it would be much different. They may look awful but that's because they're purpose built for towing stuff. The curt one says no drilling required that seems like it would be nice. A badly designed hitch that looks cool could be a disaster
I would prefer the european westfalia hitch but its crazy pricey (~$600) or the EcoHitch but that seems to only be built for the MK7 Golf. The cheapest compromise is the Draw-Tite for the MK6 GTI that's mostly hidden under the bumper (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/GTI/2013/24904.html?VehicleID=201314883). Just checking here before I pull the trigger on anything.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I would prefer the european westfalia hitch but its crazy pricey (~$600) or the EcoHitch but that seems to only be built for the MK7 Golf. The cheapest compromise is the Draw-Tite for the MK6 GTI that's mostly hidden under the bumper (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/GTI/2013/24904.html?VehicleID=201314883). Just checking here before I pull the trigger on anything.
Wow that hitch is super low profile. They have an 800 number, try calling them for fitment. My dad bought one from them for his 06 Acura TL many many years ago and the quality was pretty good. I would think it fits though.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever disassemble their center console MMI cubby? Trying to right now and the two screws that hold the plug interface in are not the only part of disassembly. Part of me wants to get the dremel and dissect it but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or tips.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone ever disassemble their center console MMI cubby? Trying to right now and the two screws that hold the plug interface in are not the only part of disassembly. Part of me wants to get the dremel and dissect it but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or tips.
Are you just trying to pull out the mmi? It has a weird latching system. I ended up breaking the mmi box when I did mine.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Are you just trying to pull out the mmi? It has a weird latching system. I ended up breaking the mmi box when I did mine.
yeah just the interface there. ive looked at ones on ebay to see if i can figure out how its hooked in there. just prying it doesnt seem to work. ill bust out the dremel later if needed i guess.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
yeah just the interface there. ive looked at ones on ebay to see if i can figure out how its hooked in there. just prying it doesnt seem to work. ill bust out the dremel later if needed i guess.

You need some radio keys to slide in those little slots. Or something else to push the latch towards the inside, shouldn't take much force.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You need some radio keys to slide in those little slots. Or something else to push the latch towards the inside, shouldn't take much force.
no, i have the thing removed from the center console, i want to remvoe the little box thing (PN 5N0035342e) from the thing it's attached to.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
no, i have the thing removed from the center console, i want to remvoe the little box thing (PN 5N0035342e) from the thing it's attached to.

Looks like there are two catch hooks in the center, opposite side of the screws. Tried to take mine apart but yea seemed like it was going to break.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Once you remove the 2 torx screws you need to slide a couple of wedges in to pry up the plastic. A couple of flathead screwdriver work well. I can snag a couple of pictures if you need them.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Once you remove the 2 torx screws you need to slide a couple of wedges in to pry up the plastic. A couple of flathead screwdriver work well. I can snag a couple of pictures if you need them.
maybe just for reference. i'd like to not have to dremel this thing lol

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
maybe just for reference. i'd like to not have to dremel this thing lol
Here you go. You need to use some force when you pry up on the sides. The plastic "bridge" is pretty strong, and more flexible than rigid, so pry them out a good amount. Then slide the entire mmi piece down according to the arrow.
IMG-5942.jpg

Once you get it apart, and look at how it fastens, it's much easier the second time. I ran real USB inputs while I was in there.

Attachments

• IMG-5945.jpg
    IMG-5945.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG-5944.jpg
    IMG-5944.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73