GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Dealer/Shop techs/DIYers/anyone who’s had it replaced:

How many hours am I looking at to swap passenger door latch mechanism? Looks like mine gave up and not sure I feel like taking off a door skin...

On Mitchell it looks like 1.6HR just to pull the panel and replace latch. Seems a little low imo

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Dealer/Shop techs/DIYers/anyone who’s had it replaced:

How many hours am I looking at to swap passenger door latch mechanism? Looks like mine gave up and not sure I feel like taking off a door skin...
Mk6 does not have door skin.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
Has anyone had their 034 strut mounts clunk? I never came across anything online about this until I saw a Facebook post concerning it today.

torga

Autocross Champion
It's the bearings that clunk, not the mounts. They use oem bearings with their mounts, can happen with any of them really.
That's what I was thinking. I developed clunking with an old car and it turned out to be the bearing after tearing it apart -- strut mount was fine.

torga

Autocross Champion
Anyone got a source for ribbed axle bolts? All the pics I see online are the smooth variety. I picked up a pair of axle bolts from VW a while back and they were also smooth. I don't have the tools for 150 lb-ft + 180°, so I'd much rather stick to the ribbed spec of 51 lb-ft + 90°.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Time to drink a dozen raw eggs, put on your big boy pants, turn it up to 11, and put some M-A-N into it @torga

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The ribbed for her pleasure bolts may be NLA. Those smooth bolts may be the only game in town. A stronger bolt seems like a good change, plus you get to buy some new tools.

torga

Autocross Champion
You guys are no help, I'm giving golfmk6 a 1 star review on Yelp

😭😭😭

The ribbed for her pleasure bolts may be NLA. Those smooth bolts may be the only game in town. A stronger bolt seems like a good change, plus you get to buy some new tools.
It's a stronger bolt? I thought they were both the same size/material? They should be at roughly the same clamping force, too. The only reason the non-ribbed bolt's torque spec is so much higher is that it experiences much less tightening friction than the ribbed bolt. So higher torque to achieve the same clamping force.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You guys are no help, I'm giving golfmk6 a 1 star review on Yelp

😭😭😭

It's a stronger bolt? I thought they were both the same size/material? They should be at roughly the same clamping force, too. The only reason the non-ribbed bolt's torque spec is so much higher is that it experiences much less tightening friction than the ribbed bolt. So higher torque to achieve the same clamping force.
Usually when a part is updated and the older revisions are discontinued there's a reason. I personally feel way better about a smooth bolt with higher torque

torga

Autocross Champion
Usually when a part is updated and the older revisions are discontinued there's a reason. I personally feel way better about a smooth bolt with higher torque
Fair, but from a design perspective, the wheel bearing hub is the same and the internal threads on the axle shaft are the same. They're only designed to carry a certain clamping force, which is the value we actually need to be concerned with here -- that's what keeps the axle attached to the hub, not the torque. The only reason the smooth bolt has a higher torque is because the head is smoother and there are fewer friction losses. Same reason why some torque specs call for a higher torque on a bolt if you use some kind of lubricant on the threads versus a dry install, which will always call for a lower torque, all else being equal. Lower friction but same clamping force needs a higher torque value, and vice versa. I would bet money that the clamping force on the ribbed and non-ribbed bolts is the same and the only reason they switched to a non-ribbed bolt is because they're cheaper to make.