GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
My wife got rain water down my window switches again and ruined them. I replaced the window switches and mirror control knob and the windows are fine again but the mirror switch replacement didn't fix it.

The issue is the mirror knob (both old and new) will move both mirrors left, right, and up but not down. When I press down the mirror tilts up.

Codes coming back say implausible signal from the mirrors.

Since it isn't the switch I'm guessing it is the wiring, or the connector going to the switch

anyway if anyone has had similar experience feel free to chime in
You could have some chafed/rotting wire in the mirror frame

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
My mirrors dont move at all. In4updates.

I planned to check the pinning on the connectors and giving them a quick cleaning. Then I'll be checking the wiring at the door and in the mirror mechanism

Well full functionality came back. I didn't do anything so I'm assuming the connector and pins got wet or corroded. I still haven't looked.

Anyone know the bolt size of the door panel bolts? When I took my door panel off I realized I only have 1 out of 3 in place.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Well full functionality came back. I didn't do anything so I'm assuming the connector and pins got wet or corroded. I still haven't looked.

Anyone know the bolt size of the door panel bolts? When I took my door panel off I realized I only have 1 out of 3 in place.
Which one

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I'm missing the lower one near the door sill and one of the ones that goes in the handle part of the door.

I think the handle 2 are the same size and the lower one is probably shorter?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'm missing the lower one near the door sill and one of the ones that goes in the handle part of the door.

I think the handle 2 are the same size and the lower one is probably shorter?
That sounds right. I'll see if I can find part numbers if you want..

edit:

Lower bolt WHT002645
Upper bolt(s) N91096701

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
That sounds right. I'll see if I can find part numbers if you want..

edit:

Lower bolt WHT002645
Upper bolt(s) N91096701

Perfect, thanks. Always knew you were good for something

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Changed my oil yesterday and while under the car, I normally tighten the drain plug hand tight with my fingers and the T45 bit (I have the torx flat plug) and then I put it on a ratchet and give it a 1/4 turn with light pressure. Heard a POP sound when I made the quarter turn, almost like the car was settling on my jack stands, made the same POP sound when I opened the drain plug. Now I'm sweating over having potentially shredded the threads on the plug (no biggie) or the threads on the pan. There's no real leak that I can see, and it's been about 24 hours. There was maybe a small drop on the nut itself but it was black like my oil, and I'm chalking this up to residue seeping out from behind the plug to the front and this is after 12+ hours of sitting. I have a drip pan under it right now and I'm hoping I don't see anything more from this point on. Still giving me the nervous shits but I hopefully dodged a bullet. The bit I used is pretty shitty so it's possible the bit popped too I guess?

Anyway, question is; How likely am I fucked? Are there tell-tale signs of busted threads? I've read everything from slow leak, to a plug that keeps spinning in the pan thread.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Maybe the crush washer making noise? Did you use a new one when you changed the oil? If the threads were compromised I think you'd soon see a big leak but maybe not until circulation begins. I'd start her up and run it and see if you get leaks once the engine is hot, maybe give it a few high rpm revs. If you do this while the car is still up on jacks you should be able to quickly shut down the motor if the plug fails and there is a catastrophic leak.

Good luck!

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Maybe the crush washer making noise? Did you use a new one when you changed the oil? If the threads were compromised I think you'd soon see a big leak but maybe not until circulation begins. I'd start her up and run it and see if you get leaks once the engine is hot, maybe give it a few high rpm revs. If you do this while the car is still up on jacks you should be able to quickly shut down the motor if the plug fails and there is a catastrophic leak.

Good luck!
Ran the car today after a night of seemingly no leaks, ran it shortly after the oil change too. No drip-drop-drip, no pooling around the plug from what I can see. Gonna check the pan in the morning but I put 30-ish miles on the car today so I would've hopefully seen some sort of indication.

As for the plug, I cheap out and use plugs twice before tossing them. This is round two for this drain plug so it's possible the crush washer just shifted. It's sitting a little lower on the plug than the last time, since I can see the bare metal spot on the pan where the washer sat before.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
lol you buy new drain plugs regularly?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
but I put 30-ish miles on the car today so I would've hopefully seen some sort of indication.
You drove it?? :oops: Heh. You have bigger basketballs than me! But no harm done, I guess. I think it's probably ok then but next time you change the oil inspect the plug and the pan threads carefully for damage. Before I went to a fumoto valve, I would use the same drain plug over and over, I would just change the crush washer. Never had any problems. I know, some of y'all don't like the fumoto either. But I've had mine on my car for years, again no problems. As you said, to each his own ;)

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
You drove it?? :oops: Heh. You have bigger basketballs than me! But no harm done, I guess. I think it's probably ok then but next time you change the oil inspect the plug and the pan threads carefully for damage. Before I went to a fumoto valve, I would use the same drain plug over and over, I would just change the crush washer. Never had any problems. I know, some of y'all don't like the fumoto either. But I've had mine on my car for years, again no problems. As you said, to each his own ;)
I sold my truck, so this is my DD for now. Had to drive it, and I figured with 12~ hours of maybe a pin head's worth of drippage, it would take longer than my commute to drain the whole 5qts and I checked all my parking space thoroughly before leaving the lots to make sure. Nada. Pretty sure it's good to go too, but I wanted to see what the consensus was for those who may have experienced it firsthand. I have like 8 or so plugs left in my garage, so it's not like I'm heading to the dealer before each oil change to drop $12 on a new plug or something.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion