GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Today I bought the R8 red top & APR coil pack to replace my faulty stock coils. My plan was to run the R8s and keep the APRs in the car in case I have random misfires. But came to a realisation that my R8 coil pack has a blank top. Seller claimed they’re OEM. I bought them from a reputable VAG workshop here in my country. Was told it’s OEM and apparently some of their recent stocks are blank as well in recent shipments. I didn’t really questioned them more as i was in a rush. Anyone else here had the same experience where their R8 coils are blank as well? Wouldn’t want to put cheap low grade quality coils as I’m tuned.

View attachment 270595View attachment 270596
I bought APR red top Ignition coils but it has APR on the top... I will send pics later tonight.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I really tried looking for the answer before asking, but someone might know before I reach out and wait on VWR to let me know.

On the VWR cup edition wheels, are they ball seat like OEM or are they conical?

This thread seems to suggest cone seat, and they kinda look that way in the picture, but I can't be sure. https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/35135-racingline-cup-wheels-which-bolts/

g-magoo

Autocross Champion

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Today I bought the R8 red top & APR coil pack to replace my faulty stock coils. My plan was to run the R8s and keep the APRs in the car in case I have random misfires. But came to a realisation that my R8 coil pack has a blank top. Seller claimed they’re OEM. I bought them from a reputable VAG workshop here in my country. Was told it’s OEM and apparently some of their recent stocks are blank as well in recent shipments. I didn’t really questioned them more as i was in a rush. Anyone else here had the same experience where their R8 coils are blank as well? Wouldn’t want to put cheap low grade quality coils as I’m tuned.

View attachment 270595View attachment 270596
the original APR ignition coils look like this
it has the part number and APR on the top.... looks like they used the APR box but not original IC's...
1675877058736.png

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Anyone know what a typical speaker signal output voltage would be on our non-Dynaudio cars? My uberstealth sub has stopped working and I'm fairly sure the amp is simply dead, but I measured 0.4 V AC on the input and I'm wondering if that's low.

FWIW - confirmed there's an input signal, confirmed correct impedance on the subwoofer itself. Measured output at ~ 4 V AC which is well below the 17 V I should expect via sqrt(Amp Wattage * Speaker Impedance).

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know what a typical speaker signal output voltage would be on our non-Dynaudio cars? My uberstealth sub has stopped working and I'm fairly sure the amp is simply dead, but I measured 0.4 V AC on the input and I'm wondering if that's low.

FWIW - confirmed there's an input signal, confirmed correct impedance on the subwoofer itself. Measured output at ~ 4 V AC which is well below the 17 V I should expect via sqrt(Amp Wattage * Speaker Impedance).
Did you use a sine wave to measure? Music will not give you an accurate reading.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Did you use a sine wave to measure? Music will not give you an accurate reading.

50 Hz track. Reading went to 0 in between plays. I don't have a sine wave generator and the input connector on the sub is not an RCA hookup, so I'm afraid that will be the best I can do.

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
the original APR ignition coils look like this
it has the part number and APR on the top.... looks like they used the APR box but not original IC's...

I think he was stating the R8 OEM Red tops were missing the branding not the APR ones. That was the way I read it anyway.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
i'm thinkin of upgrading to an android head unit from my super old rns 315. just in case i don't like the new unit and want to return, do i still need the security code (which i can't find in any of the manuals) to reinstall the old unit on the same car? thanks in advance.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently purchased a 2012 Golf in Blue Graphite Pearl. I was surprised to see that under the hood there is no clear coat and a lot of the factory blue has flaked off. Were some of these cars not clear coated under the hood? I have owned three other Golfs/GTIs from 2008 to 2017 and all have had a clear coat applied to the underside of the hood, fenders and engine bay. Thanks

Paul

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
i'm thinkin of upgrading to an android head unit from my super old rns 315. just in case i don't like the new unit and want to return, do i still need the security code (which i can't find in any of the manuals) to reinstall the old unit on the same car? thanks in advance.
It is my understanding that the VWs manufactured since about 2005 have a feature where if you are installing the same head unit into the car that it came with then it will not ask for a code. Any replacement VW radio would require a code.

Jfarrhadog21

Hi there, I currently have a golf GTI mk6 edition 35 2012, every 2 months or after a long journey the car brings the oil light on and is in general need of oil, has anyone experienced this? Or have an suggestions to what may be the problem

Thank you in advance

GolNat

Autocross Champion
If it’s not leaking out (visible oil spots on the ground) then it’s getting burned off in the combustion chamber. Any CEL’s? If the oil light is coming on then it’s getting way too low!!

Jfarrhadog21

If it’s not leaking out (visible oil spots on the ground) then it’s getting burned off in the combustion chamber. Any CEL’s? If the oil light is coming on then it’s getting way too low!!
No visible oil anywhere, take all under tray of also and it’s all bone dry, what do you suggest i do next?

Thank you

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Short of having the engine rebuilt, I doubt there is anything you can do other than to just add oil. Some cars have higher oil consumption than others. If the car runs fine and still has lots of power just keep an eye on the oil level and add as necessary. There is not necessarily anything to repair, but I do agree that you shouldn't be letting the oil light come on. By the time that light comes on you are quite low on oil.