GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It's there when I apply throttle load and goes away when I lift. 5th gear, between 30-45mph. Close to 45mph, it's tapering off and by 50mph, it's gone. It's 100% consistent. None of the other gears whine in the same RPM range, or whine at all for that matter. If it's not some sort of harmonic frequency with 5th gear, then I would have absolutely no idea what it could be, as nothing else would make sense.

I don't get any whine in 5th, only 1-3 really and maybe a bit in 4th although everything else is so loud that if there is any it gets drowned out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It's there when I apply throttle load and goes away when I lift. 5th gear, between 30-45mph. Close to 45mph, it's tapering off and by 50mph, it's gone. It's 100% consistent. None of the other gears whine in the same RPM range, or whine at all for that matter. If it's not some sort of harmonic frequency with 5th gear, then I would have absolutely no idea what it could be, as nothing else would make sense.

I tried this today out of curiosity and didn't hear any whine. After 4k though all I hear is induction noise.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I tried this today out of curiosity and didn't hear any wine. After 4k though all I hear is induction noise.
It's been there since I bought the car, but it hasn't increased in intensity. Always in the same speed range, too - no shift.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
So I know it is advisable to upgrade the torque arm at the same time you do engine mounts but is an insert sufficient enough? I only ask because BFI does not sell an arm just the insert to pair with their engine mounts. Once I get my mounts will my insert suffice.

I am thinking just replace it for peace of mind but if I can save some cash I am all for that!!

torga

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever used these replacement coolant pipes?

I have a strong suspicion that my plastic pipes (these) are leaking and was about to buy a replacement part, and then I found the Spulen kit above.

Edit: Man, when I linked the part it was on sale for $60 and it went back up to $100. Dunno if it's worth it anymore at that price.

Edit 2: It went back on sale today to the same price as yesterday, so I snagged it up. Also got to apply a $10 coupon I didn't know I had, so for basically the same price as the OEM part, I get an "upgrade". I'll report back on fitment.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever used these replacement coolant pipes?

I have a strong suspicion that my plastic pipes (these) are leaking and was about to buy a replacement part, and then I found the Spulen kit above.

Edit: Man, when I linked the part it was on sale for $60 and it went back up to $100. Dunno if it's worth it anymore at that price.

Edit 2: It went back on sale today to the same price as yesterday, so I snagged it up. Also got to apply a $10 coupon I didn't know I had, so for basically the same price as the OEM part, I get an "upgrade". I'll report back on fitment.

When I click that link I'm seeing $59.99. Pretty good price & they look good.

Edit Just read your complete thread. LOL

torga

Autocross Champion
When I click that link I'm seeing $59.99. Pretty good price & they look good.
Yeah, they went back down today, so I snatched em. Glad I waited.

ace-hunter887

So I know it is advisable to upgrade the torque arm at the same time you do engine mounts but is an insert sufficient enough? I only ask because BFI does not sell an arm just the insert to pair with their engine mounts. Once I get my mounts will my insert suffice.

I am thinking just replace it for peace of mind but if I can save some cash I am all for that!!

For that is it also at 100k miles like the mounts and timing chain? If I get this golf I’ll need to do the timing chain and am wondering since I have to raise the motor if I should do the mounts too at the same time and the torque arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
For that is it also at 100k miles like the mounts and timing chain? If I get this golf I’ll need to do the timing chain and am wondering since I have to raise the motor if I should do the mounts too at the same time and the torque arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would do the arm also. Not sure what the odds of it snapping are but if it does you'll be spending a while lot more than the cost of the arm. Also if you're doing the timing and have the money for mounts might as well do them since you'll already have the motor side out. I forget if I removed the torque arm to do the timing but id do that if doing mounts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So i'm coming up on the actual deadline for getting my o2 sensor fixed before my registration gets pulled. So far i've done a new o2 sensor, new oem connector/terminals, and traced the wiring all the way up the harness to where it connects to the ECU and it looked good the whole way up. Still getting a p0140 and p0141 code for no activity. I'm thinking it's the ecu and I'll just need a new one. Anyone have any other ideas or a way to test this before getting a new ecu?

torga

Autocross Champion
So guys, I've searched around and I cannot find a straight answer for my coolant-related question.

Next week, I will be replacing the hard coolant lines that are in front of the IM, and go roughly between the upper timing cover and throttle body. I'm almost positive there's a hairline crack and I have a very slow coolant leak originating from there.
My plan is to open the connection near the upper timing cover, be very careful to not spill much coolant then raise the lines to keep from leaking. Then I will use a syringe/hose combo to suck the rest of the coolant out from the pipes themselves and finish removal.

My question is, when I'm finished, can I get the air out of the system the old fashioned way, i.e. running the engine with heater on and coolant tank cap off until I stop seeing bubbles? I keep seeing conflicting opinions of this online, with a lot of people recommending the use of a OE coolant vac pump tool.

Can I get any direct responses from any of you who have had to deal with this?

EDIT: One can, in fact, burp the coolant system the old fashioned way. I was overthinking this.

Last edited:

ahard48

Ready to race!
Time for a new battery. Searched on Google, vwvortex, and here. Looking for a non light weight battery. Any suggestions?

torga

Autocross Champion
Time for a new battery. Searched on Google, vwvortex, and here. Looking for a non light weight battery. Any suggestions?
Oh, non lightweight? Just go with a Bosch or an Optima RedTop.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Got a Walmart special battery last year. So far so good. All the store brands are made by Johnson Controls you are just paying for the warranty

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Alright it's my turn for a stupid question

Past few days of cold starts i noticed that my revs started out at the normal spot of 1100ish and drop to 800ish sooner than usual. used to take about a minute, now its closer to 30 seconds. What would a cause of this be? is this a consequence of a newer timing chain and tensioner?