GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
welp... replaced the snapped DG spring and drove it for a day...

and now my rear hatch trunk lock broke, hatch will not close...

Anyone replace it before? where did you get the parts from?

Also, if you know if theres any tutorial out there, feel free to send them my way
I've replaced mine. I'll have to double check where I ordered it from, it might have just been Ebay.

I've disassembled the interior in this car several times, and I'll warn you that the hatch trim piece that you need to remove is probably the worst piece to deal with. It comes off easily enough, but can be a real pain to get back on correctly. There are a lot of strong clips that need to be lined up correctly.

Basically, open the hatch, and remove the 2 torx screws from inside the pull down "handles". Pop off the panels on the side, where you would access the rear lights, having those off will help you line things up when you put it back on. Use a panel removing tool and start popping the panel off, starting at the bottom, and working your way up. You'll need to do some tugging towards the top because your panel tool won't be able to reach all of the clips.

Once you have the panel off, replacing the latch is very obvious, there's just a couple of screws, and a wiring harness.

Putting the panel back on is the irritating part, be warned, park in the shade, and don't get frustrated. Make sure to take a close look at how all of the clips work, and make sure that any clips that remained attached to the sheet metal are removed, and reinstalled onto the panel, before putting the panel back on. Start at the top and just attach the sides that protrude up, and connect to the trim piece that comes down from the top of the hatch, there are clips on each side that sometimes stay stuck to the sheet metal, pay attention to those. . Work your way down, you can see up through the open area where you removed the light covers earlier, so make sure to spot where the clips line up. When the clips line up, push the trim into place. If you don't feel an obvious click as the clips seat correctly, you may have misaligned one, and it is now bending and will not seat correctly until you straighten it out. I recommend counting the clips before you try to reinstall the panel, so you know which ones have attached correctly. You can also use small pieces of tape on the outside of the panel where the clips are, so that you know where to push, and feel for a click.

Reattaching the panel correctly is by far the most difficult part of this job. Removing it isn't difficult, and neither is swapping the latch. If you take your time, and make sure all of your clips seat properly, you'll be good.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The incorrect way:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Need some opinions: dumb/risky or fine?

Messed with tunes yesterday, switched my Cobb St. 1 High Boost for a Cobb St. 1+ Stock MAF file to see if anything changed at all (technically designed for an air intake, I don’t have one). The 1+ peaks at 18psi compared to 1HB at 17.5psi. The throttle mapping is pretty different however. Will running this be semi-safe for 3-9mo? An intake definitely sucks in more air...

I only had time to roll into one pull and was holding a bit lower boost (105F ambient with 147F IAT though) but the throttle mapping was crazy better so I’m hesitant to switch back to what now seems like a laggy throttle feel on my 1HB map which I thought was way better than stock. The drive-ability on 1+ is fantastic. Forgot to log yesterday but I captured min/max values afterwards. Running a bit lean? No codes thrown. Knock retard came right before I shifted 2nd-3rd. Car was powered off so Boost/AFR aren’t reading anything.
View attachment 176414

You need to check the afr when making a hit, 14.7 would be bad.

Phur

Autocross Champion

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
You need to check the afr when making a hit, 14.7 would be bad.
14.7 is what it reads with the car off. If you look under that number it shows I dipped down to the 9’s during WOT. I usually start a pull around 12 and go down. Heading out in an hour I’ll log it and show y’all better

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
14.7 is what it reads with the car off. If you look under that number it shows I dipped down to the 9’s during WOT. I usually start a pull around 12 and go down. Heading out in an hour I’ll log it and show y’all better

Yea it's not reading anything with the car off. 14.7 is the ideal ratio(stoichiometric) when you're idling and what the ecu tries to create when cruising or part throttle. Also, it will be richer after a cold start.. 9/10 is way too rich, you should be somewhere in the 12's.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Yea it's not reading anything with the car off. 14.7 is the ideal ratio(stoichiometric) when you're idling and what the ecu tries to create when cruising or part throttle. Also, it will be richer after a cold start.. 9/10 is way too rich, you should be somewhere in the 12's.
Lol I understand the stoichiometric ratio and all. I’m just saying that’s also why boost shows 0 and not a vacuum value, car was off.

I figured the 9.70 AFR was too rich, car runs fantastic though

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Lol I understand the stoichiometric ratio and all. I’m just saying that’s also why boost shows 0 and not a vacuum value, car was off.

I figured the 9.70 AFR was too rich, car runs fantastic though

Most tuners would abort a pull if it's that rich. Not good even if it feels like it drives better, and definitely would be leaving a lot of power on the table. Would be interesting too see a before and after of the air box mod lol

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Most tuners would abort a pull if it's that rich. Not good even if it feels like it drives better, and definitely would be leaving a lot of power on the table. Would be interesting too see a before and after of the air box mod lol
Yeah my mileage dropped to around 19 city being this rich lol. I wonder if it was also running so rich to help the engine? It was hot as hell.

Also no logs today boys sorry. Mr. Nail sends his regards.

2913AB8D-4C73-4A9B-AAA2-A26322AE50B4.jpeg