GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Has anyone heard a thin, tinny rattling noise with each shift? (manual trans, engine off).
I noticed it as I parked at work, but it's raining this morning so I didn't really feel like getting wet to check this out.
My first thought is probably the heat shield for the shifter assy is slightly loose, as the sound is coming from underneath the cabin – not from the engine bay.
From my understanding, the shifter assembly doesn’t have a heat shield, just the mounting bracket. I can try to verify later tonight once the rain stops pouring out here in HTX. Do you have a short shifter or play in the linkage?

Last time I worked in that area I only noticed three heat shields: Intake, turbo, and drive shaft.

Car started doing something weird when it's cold. I keep forgetting to watch the tach but I'll feel a bump maybe when shifting around 3rd gear at part throttle. Also was able to get it to do it when accelerating steadily with decent load. Felt a couple bumps like maybe a slight miss or dsg clutch. No warning lights or anything... seems to go away when warmed up. Didn't notice anything like this after I did the DSG service. Anyone encounter this or just manual swap?
IIRC back when I experienced this it was either plugs/coils or carbon buildup. Then it happened a short while later and was my intake manifold. I can meet halfway and scan with either OBD11 or my Accessport, shoot me a text (y)

torga

Autocross Champion
From my understanding, the shifter assembly doesn’t have a heat shield, just the mounting bracket. I can try to verify later tonight once the rain stops pouring out here in HTX. Do you have a short shifter or play in the linkage?

Last time I worked in that area I only noticed three heat shields: Intake, turbo, and drive shaft.
I drove home from work that day and could not replicate the sound. The next day I drove to work and replicated it at about 50% of its previous volume. I'm thinking it has a bit to do with temperature, as I've only heard it after driving on a cold, somewhat rainy morning.
Im getting under the car in about a week anyway to do some suspension work and fit new wheels, so I'll be investigating a bit at that time.
I do have a short shifter and as far as I'm aware, the only play is coming from the riveted joint that DG's SuperPin replaces. I plan on doing that mod soon.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
IIRC back when I experienced this it was either plugs/coils or carbon buildup. Then it happened a short while later and was my intake manifold. I can meet halfway and scan with either OBD11 or my Accessport, shoot me a text (y)

Naturally, it hasn't done it so far today. Plugs and coils are newish, maybe 4k miles on them.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Naturally, it hasn't done it so far today. Plugs and coils are newish, maybe 4k miles on them.
Mine got worse with higher temp, so wait for a warmer day since this morning was a hint of boost szn being low 50s.

Prob carbon and slowly deteriorating intake mani.

This is what my stuff looked like at 75k mi...
1602875843864.jpeg

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I hate seeing the WMI comparison pics cause it makes me want to run direct port so bad. My wallet says no though...

Also in my pic, the car was throwing codes and ran terribly. Tech said I was long overdue @75k 🤷‍♂️

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I hate seeing the WMI comparison pics cause it makes me want to run direct port so bad. My wallet says no though...

Also in my pic, the car was throwing codes and ran terribly. Tech said I was long overdue @75k 🤷‍♂️

I've got my eye on the IE intake manifold to do next year just for more airflow anyway, once it's on there will be no more excuses since it's already setup for port injection. I've got to get through the 18Z brake upgrade this winter before I tell the wife though. LOL

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I've got my eye on the IE intake manifold to do next year just for more airflow anyway, once it's on there will be no more excuses since it's already setup for port injection. I've got to get through the 18Z brake upgrade this winter before I tell the wife though. LOL
You’ll love the 18z kit. They’re absolutely awesome, let me know if you have any questions. I recently sent my whole parts list and links to another forum member

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie

I started off thinking I was going to do direct port since I have the IE intake manifold, but after talking things through with Jay and Carson I went with one throttle pipe nozzle and one pre-mani.

Added bonus on top of the cleaning and cooling; when the spray hits it’s like “VTEC kicked in yo!“

torga

Autocross Champion
Has anyone dealt with a sort of "shuddering" when off throttle?

It seems to shudder the entire cabin and is similar to that shudder/rattle you get when not starting from 1st optimally after installing upgraded pendulum mount hardware. This shuddering has only been happening off-throttle to me and it happens irrespective of gear or velocity -- it'll happen at 70mph, it'll happen at 20mph. It even continues happening if I press the clutch while it happens.
It doesn't happen every time I'm off throttle, either. Most any other time, everything is totally smooth, per normal.

My first thoughts were a compromised alignment or some bolt(s) not torqued properly.

torga

Autocross Champion
You just feel it transmitted into the driveline/body? Any brakes or steering wheel feedback?
No brake feedback, no wheel feedback. The time I checked to see if depressing the clutch would make it stop (which it didn't), I got no feedback from the clutch either.
It feels directly transmitted to the body, which I think is thanks to my billet dogbone inserts and spherical bushing pendulum mount. While these did slightly increase NVH after install, I installed those about 10 months ago and this pronounced shuddering is pretty new, last couple weeks.