GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I run non-euro oil in my car. Have been for years and it has not blown up. If you feel better about it then when it's time to change it again put VW spec oil in it.
ive seen a bit of research on this matter in our cars, and in short, penzoil platinum euro (from natural gas) is best followed by mobil 1 euro. Castrol is actually towards the bottom in overall ranking. I run mobil 1 0-40

the whole VW rating ties back to turbo heat issues (oil gumming up etc). so yeah, run whatever oil you want, but if you want to run it hard, i would put trust in what the nerds at VW figured out. its cheap insurance

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
People can do what they want and probably be fine but I don't understand why...engineers specify a type that's been tested on their motors and some people look at it and say naww. I'm gonna run the non approved stuff.

Where's the logic?
exactly. tho, as an engineer myself, I may be biased, but having seen first hand what testing requirements ANY vehicle manufacture has, it is no wonder why oe often costs more. Aftermarket doesnt have to play by the same rules. This is why most aftermarket maintenance stuff is junk when it comes to daily driver reliability.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
ive seen a bit of research on this matter in our cars, and in short, penzoil platinum euro (from natural gas) is best followed by mobil 1 euro. Castrol is actually towards the bottom in overall ranking. I run mobil 1 0-40

the whole VW rating ties back to turbo heat issues (oil gumming up etc). so yeah, run whatever oil you want, but if you want to run it hard, i would put trust in what the nerds at VW figured out. its cheap insurance

Oh I run her hard. Can’t go wrong with Mobile One it’s good stuff.

But those nerds put the wrong turbo in so what do they know 😉

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Oh I run her hard. Can’t go wrong with Mobile One it’s good stuff.

But those nerds put the wrong turbo in so what do they know 😉
wrong engine too... we really wanted a W8

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking into changing plugs/coils, and I came across some talk about using R8 coils.

I can't really find much out about them, just old threads and dead links, search function here not so good.

Is there a specific year R8 that I have to look into, or anything like that?

I know it probably wont make a difference in my (as of now) stock engine, but If I'm replacing them anyways, might as well.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I'm looking into changing plugs/coils, and I came across some talk about using R8 coils.

I can't really find much out about them, just old threads and dead links, search function here not so good.

Is there a specific year R8 that I have to look into, or anything like that?

I know it probably wont make a difference in my (as of now) stock engine, but If I'm replacing them anyways, might as well.
They're from the first gen R8/Tiguan Hybrid. Stock ones prone to failure when tuned, these are more reliable. You can get a kit online with new plugs and coils.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
If I have a choice, are metal coils better, or the ones with the rubber insolation around the metal legs?

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
lol what

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Don't think it makes a difference but I've had to first type you posted for like 4 years now with no problems.