GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the little red light on the upper console next to the dome light switches? I forgot to take a picture earlier. There's just two red lights that come on when I have the lights on. But all the buttons light up red, so I don't think it's a light to tell me my lights are on.

Phur

Autocross Champion
What is the little red light on the upper console next to the dome light switches? I forgot to take a picture earlier. There's just two red lights that come on when I have the lights on. But all the buttons light up red, so I don't think it's a light to tell me my lights are on.
Those work as night time flashlights. Red light doesn't affect your night vision the way that white light does. It allows you to see around the area of the cupholders without having to turn the interior lights on.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
this^

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Those work as night time flashlights. Red light doesn't affect your night vision the way that white light does. It allows you to see around the area of the cupholders without having to turn the interior lights on.

Or you can replace your interior lights with red LEDs and as a bonus you can renact your favorite scenes from Hunt for Red October. :cool:

True story.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
They've had those red ambient lights over the center console for literally 20years now. It's as much part of a GTI as the red stripe on the grill

Phur

Autocross Champion
They've had those red ambient lights over the center console for literally 20years now. It's as much part of a GTI as the red stripe on the grill
Not just the GTI. Lady Phur has a 2006 Jetta SEL 2.5. It has the same lights, though a touch brighter.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Or you can replace your interior lights with red LEDs and as a bonus you can renact your favorite scenes from Hunt for Red October. :cool:

True story.
I did the red LED thing with my former B6 A4. Looked cool but don't think the person I sold to kept it.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Anyone have any recommendations on a low profile metric hex wrench set? I got some Neiko ones from amazon and they have broken on me twice.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same issue with the wrench icon on the dash again today.

2 weeks ago, on a 45+ minute trip, the wrench icon popped up where the gear would be, I checked the service, and I reset it a few weeks before, but I reset it again anyways.

Today the wrench popped up again. So when I got in park, I hit the little clock button to try to select the wrench, it wouldn't let me select it. I checked the service on it, it was still showing that I reset it a few weeks ago, so I didn't reset it today. Then I went into the store, got back into the car, and had a 5 minute drive home, the wrench didn't come up.

Anyone have any ideas? No indication or any other lights from the car that anything is wrong.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I had the same issue with the wrench icon on the dash again today.

2 weeks ago, on a 45+ minute trip, the wrench icon popped up where the gear would be, I checked the service, and I reset it a few weeks before, but I reset it again anyways.

Today the wrench popped up again. So when I got in park, I hit the little clock button to try to select the wrench, it wouldn't let me select it. I checked the service on it, it was still showing that I reset it a few weeks ago, so I didn't reset it today. Then I went into the store, got back into the car, and had a 5 minute drive home, the wrench didn't come up.

Anyone have any ideas? No indication or any other lights from the car that anything is wrong.
Love the new avatar!
😂

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
Love the new avatar!
😂
I've been forgetting to take a pic of the golf so I can have an avatar. But an avatar opportunity came up, so I took it haha.

Maybe one day I'll take some pics of the car. Got some ceramic wax witchcraft today, maybe I'll do it then, now that I'm done with the paint. But it's bone stock so nobody is missing much lol.