GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I can't help on the headlight issue, sorry... I'm just here for QOTSA talk. If y'all like QOTSA as much as I do and it looks like it, you'll probably dig Josh Homme's Desert Sessions project. Go far enough back (volumes 7-10) and you'll recognize many QOTSA songs before they were on their main albums.

torga

Autocross Champion
I can't help on the headlight issue, sorry... I'm just here for QOTSA talk. If y'all like QOTSA as much as I do and it looks like it, you'll probably dig Josh Homme's Desert Sessions project. Go far enough back (volumes 7-10) and you'll recognize many QOTSA songs before they were on their main albums.

Desert Sessions are amazing and I'm glad they came back a couple of years ago. Another of my favorite bands -- Arctic Monkeys -- have a great album called Humbug. Certainly my favorite of theirs. Later on, I learned that none other than Josh Homme produced most tracks on that album for them. It all made sense.

Phur

Autocross Champion
More fun facts that you may already know… Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys did guest vocals on QUOTSA’s If I Had a Tail. Josh Homme reciprocated by doing guest vocals on Arctic Monkeys’ Knee Socks.

jedred1

jedred1

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Is it worth doing a compression test on my motor if i'm gonna get it bored out to fit 83mm pistons and get new pistons/rings for it?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
No as it doesn't matter what the compression is now. I'd be cautious doing that though, these cylinders already have thin walls to begin with.
The stock pistons are 82.5, so fitting 83mm pistons in shouldnt be taking off much material at all right? Also with already having 165k miles on the engine, getting it bored and honed seems like the best option, although i'll wait until I have the block apart and can see the walls before deciding on that.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
When the thermostats fail on these cars do they tend to fail open?

I noticed my coolant temp gauge is acting a little odd on cold starts. Instead of climbing to 190 and staying there, it'll climb then fall a little, climb then fall a little, then it'll hit 190 and fall a couple of times before it hits 190 and stays there.

At most it's only adding a minute or two until the coolant is completely warmed up, so it's not yet an emergency.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
When the thermostats fail on these cars do they tend to fail open?

I noticed my coolant temp gauge is acting a little odd on cold starts. Instead of climbing to 190 and staying there, it'll climb then fall a little, climb then fall a little, then it'll hit 190 and fall a couple of times before it hits 190 and stays there.

At most it's only adding a minute or two until the coolant is completely warmed up, so it's not yet an emergency.
They fail both ways unfortunately

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Are you sure you're not mistaking the temp fluctuations with normal driving patterns? I know my temp gauge bounces around while driving and warming up first few minutes but it correlates with the cars movement, ie the temp will increase at a stop light and will decrease when driving at speed due to the cooling power of air movement

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Are you sure you're not mistaking the temp fluctuations with normal driving patterns? I know my temp gauge bounces around while driving and warming up first few minutes but it correlates with the cars movement, ie the temp will increase at a stop light and will decrease when driving at speed due to the cooling power of air movement
yeah it’s never done this before, it’s always slowly and steadily climbed to 190 and stayed there. The gauge has always behaved like a glorified dummy light, which is what I thought it was until yesterday.

But if your car is doing something similar I’ll just keep an eye on it for the time being. I was going to replace the pump and radiator next summer anyway, as they have 149k miles on it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
My cars behavior is 100% normal. Before the car reaches 190 the thermostat remains closed so the engine is being air cooled until you hit 190. Thus if you are driving a cold engine you will indeed see temp gauge fluctuations until the engine warms and the thermostat begins allowing coolant circulation through the block.